Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody watching Biggest Loser tonight?

Does anybody watch The Biggest Loser? There is a lot I don't like about that show, but it is the contestants that make it all worthwhile. They are heros to me.

Edited by Steph_123

I watched for a while one season but I just hated how they don't really teach the contestants a healthy sustainable way to lose weight and set up the challenges to make them look ridiculous much of the time so I stopped.

I always watch the show! This time I will be losing along with them. I love watching the different personalities and how they change throughout the show. And while diet changes aren't the main focus of the show (that just isn't very entertaining) they do spend more time teaching the contestants healthier food options than they showed the first few seasons. They also wear that bug thing now and dowload their calories expended along with their daily food log into the computer each day. This season they are also having the contestants participate in obesity research to see the before, during, and after effects on the body, brain, hormones, etc... I do think it is difficult for the average person to not feel inadequate watching people lose 20 lbs in a week. But we just have to remember that their full-time job on that show is working out and eating right. If I were working out 6 hours a day, I'd be skinny in no time! Maybe Jillian needs to come visit me for a few weeks.

I sometimes will tune into it when it is in. But, last night I was watching the finale' of "more to love."

I sometimes will tune into it when it is in. But, last night I was watching the finale' of "more to love."

Who did he choose? The Blonde or the Brunette? I watched Biggest Loser; however, generally I don't watch it beginning to end, just flip back and forth between it and whatever else is on that is interesting. It is amazing to see how they change over the show and I agree they are spending a bit more time showing them how to eat healthier. Also, they are at the camp 24/7 and we only see a portion of the time so it's hard to really know what else they do aside from working out all day long.

This time I will be losing along with them.

Hey, the one season I watched was the one right after my surgery!

And while diet changes aren't the main focus of the show (that just isn't very entertaining) they do spend more time teaching the contestants healthier food options than they showed the first few seasons.

When you read interviews with former contestants, they often complain that much of what goes on behind the scenes is unhealthy and that they weren't given much advice on how to cook and eat healthy. It seems like what we see on the show is not the tip of the iceberg, but the actual iceberg.

What really bugs me though is that these guys are being set up for failure. We know that diet and exercise alone doesn't work for the MO in the long run. But the show really reinforces society's view that the obese are that way because they have no willpower and are lazy and all you have to do is try harder and you will lose weight. When we hear about contestants who have gained back all their weight (which studies and personal experience show us is inevitable for most of them), you get quotes from the trainers how "Eric clearly didn't learn anything from being on the show". It's a bunch of hooey and it makes me mad.

Edited by MacMadame

I tend to watch more as the season gets going and there aren't so many contestants on all at once.

There are a few people who have come back or been interviewed from a few seasons ago who did learn to exercise and eat right and have kept the weight off.

I

There are a few people who have come back or been interviewed from a few seasons ago who did learn to exercise and eat right and have kept the weight off.

Not for more than 5 years though. (Show hasn't been on that long.)

Studies show the chances of keeping off a large weight loss like that are somewhere in the 1-5% range. But shows like this makes it seems like it is attainable for anyone if they are dedicated enough.

We know it's not about dedication or willpower or learning stuff from personal experience. If it was, most of us wouldn't be here!

Amen to that. I am glad I don't have to do it on my own anymore. I went to the gym like a fanatic for 3 years before I had WLS. I lost 2 lbs every week and gained it back every weekend. I felt like such a failure.

This is so much better!

In my early 20's I lost 165 lbs in about 18 months in a healthy way (portion control and exercise AND prayer for strength to get through the next day without cheating) I kept it off for about 5 years, BUT...when my Mother got cancer and died, when life started rearing its ugly head...guess what I ran to !! You bet, my old 'friend' food. So, here I am, 30 years later with ALL of the previously lost PLUS an additional 35 lbs to get off.

I think that showing America that healthy choices, Portion Control and exercise is great...I also think that showing America that is is NOT about laziness but about psychological issues that we have developed and that they have become DEMONS that we feel that we have lost control off is great.

BUT...living to exercise 5-7 hours a day is not how we can function in a normal environment, we still live in a world (not just a culture) that uses food as our social and family enjoyment and we NEED a 'tool' that can help us that have these 'demons' to be rid of them. To make us physically sick when we give into them. Even though we have become physically sick with them WITH the weight, we need to FEEL to discomfort of overeating at the time it takes place.

In general, if this show allows America to view as someone who has issues with food, then so be it. As for ME...I need this 'tool' of making me uncomfortable as a reinforcement.

I don't watch tv at all ( i knowi know i'm a freak from another world but i like movies!) but i have seen the show like two years ago and i always did wonder how come the don't have loose skin???? it seems so unrealstic to me? can some shade some light on that?

xoxo,

nikki

I don't watch tv at all ( i knowi know i'm a freak from another world but i like movies!) but i have seen the show like two years ago and i always did wonder how come the don't have loose skin???? it seems so unrealstic to me? can some shade some light on that?

xoxo,

nikki

You weird crazy freak. Someone had to call you one.

I think now that they are casting some real heavyweights(men in the 400+ and 300+ women) they are going to start having some issues with excess skin. The other wall they are going to start hitting, and they did last season, was that they cannot physically get a 400+ person to goal in 6 months, it takes 12 to 18 months to do that. They even have a guy who start out 500+ this season, there is no way in hell he can get to his goal weight during this season. Also, during the finale I have thought the guys especially were wearing a body girdle type of undergarment. You could see the way their shirt was hanging that something underneath was providing support.

Bill

You weird crazy freak. Someone had to call you one.

I think now that they are casting some real heavyweights(men in the 400+ and 300+ women) they are going to start having some issues with excess skin. The other wall they are going to start hitting, and they did last season, was that they cannot physically get a 400+ person to goal in 6 months, it takes 12 to 18 months to do that. They even have a guy who start out 500+ this season, there is no way in hell he can get to his goal weight during this season. Also, during the finale I have thought the guys especially were wearing a body girdle type of undergarment. You could see the way their shirt was hanging that something underneath was providing support.

Bill

I agree with you 100%. You can totally see that they are wearing support garments under their clothing. They have loose skin.

For me, the show exploits obese people. They make them wear spandex, and sport bras, they get to regular spandexy shirts that cover their bodies once they've shed weight, and for me it's just unrealistic. 5000 calories, 6-7 hours in a gym every day, and so many of the contestants gain back their weight. It sickens me that they have to parade around on stage shirtless for the men, and sports bras for the women. This season really made my skin crawl when they made the contestants shed their clothes and weigh-in in front of their community, peers, friends, like 4 million American tv viewers wasn't enough shame and guilt for being fat.

I see these people just as desperate as I was to lose weight, and they are willing to be exploited on television just to get an opportunity to train with Bob and Jillian. I can't say their determination isn't inspirational because it is, but the sheer reality that they all have lives to go home to and the fact that over 50% of them will regain the weight is just sad.

Did you see the Discovery Health special on Eric, winner from a couple of seasons ago? The high from winning was over as quick as it started and he became severly depressed and gained back almost every pound he lost. It was very eye opening how hard they will struggle once the show has moved on. I just can't really understand why they are picking people who are so big that they cannot complete their task within the six month season. They get them half way there and then what, good luck?

Bill