Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cost of nexium in mexico

What is the cost of a 6 months supply of nexium mups in Mexico? What does "mups" mean?

Do any of you know if the pharmacy near the Mexicali hospital takes travelers checks?

Just getting all my ducks in a row so I hopefully won't have to deal with you know what....:thumbup:

Thanks!

What is the cost of a 6 months supply of nexium mups in Mexico? What does "mups" mean?

Do any of you know if the pharmacy near the Mexicali hospital takes travelers checks?

Just getting all my ducks in a row so I hopefully won't have to deal with you know what....:drool5:

Thanks!

Cajun -

Dr. Aceves will give you a 2-weeks supply of 20 mg Nexium mups (means you can dissolve it in water). If you buy the 40 mg. at the pharmacy in Mexicali, then you can break them in 1/2 and that will give you 28 days - it's also less expensive to buy the 40 mg than buying 2x as much as the 20 mg. We purchased our Nexium at 2 different places and another gal that I walked to the pharmacy across the street got her's there. From what I could tell, no matter where you got it, it was a set price - $488.00 pesos (you can divide pesos by whatever xchange rate is - eg $488.00 divided by $13.40 = $36.42 USD). If you have one, carry a calculator with you so you can figure out the exchange yourself. I am not sure if they take travelers checks, I don't see why not. Be aware your change will be given back in Pesos. We used our charge cards -- you get the exchange rate still. I also used my debit card once and was charged a small fee by my bank (like .17cents) You might email Nina or Renee and ask them if they can find out for you about the traveler's checks.

I didn't have surgery in Mexico but live on the border. Something to think about:

If the mups are not over the counter in the U.S. then you need a prescription for them to legally carry them back into the U.S. I am sure Dr. Aceves can write you a scrip for as many as you want to buy. Use that copy at the border if questioned about the meds. Better safe then sorry. Nothing attracts attention more than a large amount of meds at the border with no scrip from a doctor. Many things can be bought in Mexico over the counter that are not legal to have in the U.S. without a prescription.

My first trip down there, I bought about 9 boxes - some were for others on this forum that I mailed to them (yes, probably against the law, not sure, but oh well - all went fine) and I wasn't questioned by border security. When we went down in July for Bearded's surgery, we bought about 6 boxes, again no questions. I agree that it is probably better to be safe than sorry and I am sure Dr. Aceves would write you a script if you're concerned; otherwise, I think you'd probably be okay too. Maybe there is a difference between coming out of Tijuana and Mexicali - border patrol at Mexicali seemed pretty relaxed and laid back - more so than those at Tijuana/US border.

Nexium is not a narcotic/controlled drug so why would they have any concerns about it coming across the border?:confused1:

Because I don't think this "mups” preparation is available in the U.S. The law does not just apply to narcotics/controlled substances. It also states a different "preparation". Meaning something that comes OTC in pills in the U.S. can not be bought in Mexico as a liquid and brought back across the border without a scrip.

I only brought this up because a friend of mine got in serious trouble about 10 years ago. She purchased an expensive medicine in Mexico and was stopped at the border. She had a prescription for the medicine but in pill form, not liquid. The pharmacy she went to in TJ was out of pills so the pharmacist gave her liquid. She was detained for 24 hours and had to hire a lawyer. The charges were dropped but it was a nightmare. She never went to TJ again. This is how I learned the law does not say anything about if the preparation is a controlled substance or not. Different “preparations” is how one part reads regarding any “regulated” substance. OTCs are regulated by the FDA.

To be clear in her situation the medication was a controlled substance but it was anti rejection medication. Not exactly a drug with street potential.

I am sure a ton of people have crossed the border with no problem after having surgery. My friend had done this for years. Her parents did it and never gave it a second thought. It was just that one time they did a random search. Better to ask Dr. Aceves for a scrip to be written than sit with in a cell for 24 hours.

Down in Soc:

WOW. I sure don't want to be thrown into a Mexican jail. I've heard they are terrible, worse than US jails. I will certainly ask for a prescription before I buy anything to bring back.

I am wondering also if my insurance company would honor a prescription from a physician in Mexico...they won't pay for my surgery, but I don't see why they would not pay for the nexium.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with that?

I asked about that and I know that you can't get a Mexican script filled in the U. S. so it would depend on if your insurance company paid for international medical. From what I understand mine does but I haven't submitted anything yet to confirm.

Does Aceves give you nexium mups while you are in the hospital for the 2 1/2 day post op?

Does Aceves give you nexium mups while you are in the hospital for the 2 1/2 day post op?

He gives you the Nexim Mups in the hospital and sends you home with a box of 20 mg. 14/ct. which is good for 2 weeks. I am sure he will give you a script if you ask if that will make you feel more comfortable.

Thanks for the info!

do you need nexium on going after sleeve?

Hi Carolyn and welcome to our family. I used to live in Anaheim years ago!

You need to be on Nexium or some other type of PPI for at least 3 months after surgery - it takes awhile for your new tummy to realize it's smaller and doesn't need to produce as much acid and until that happens, you need to help it out. I have been on Nexium since surgery and because my insurance won't cover it any longer, I am taking Prilosec. I will stay on it for another 3 months before I try to wean off of it.

I called Walgreens and self-pay the Nexium will cost $191.90. If I get a scrip. from my Dr. here, I will have to pay $40 for a month supply. There is no generic Nexium. I will get a script from Dr. Aceves to have for crossing the border and buy mine in Mexico.

If you are self-pay on your meds and you have a Sam's near you it is always a good idea to have them price check the medications. My daughter is on Dilantin and it is less than 1/4 of the price over Walgreens, CVS, Winn-Dixie, etc.