Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home early and feeling kind of yucky!

Hi all,

Well they let me go yesterday instead of waiting until today. That's the good news. I feel "ok" but mostly gassy from moment to moment and a bit of diarrha (green to boot), sorry I know TMI, but had to share. The surgery itself went smooth. I'm sore, I'm bloated, my stomach looks like I'm ready to deliver a bowling ball and someone tried to punch it out of me.:crying: Feel a bit weak from surgery, I'm sure. My tongue is coated with some white yucky stuff (what's that about?) I bought Isopure beforehand so I could start right in with the Protein. Tastes like flavored dishwater to me. Hope that gets better cuz I bought like 10 of those stupid things.

Mexicali was hotter than hell (113 degrees yesterday the day I left.) Dr. Aceves was in and out a bunch. He drinks Coke - all day long - I asked him about that, but he said he doesn't have a sleeve so he can do that! Dr. Campos is getting skinny. Sergio was a love. I asked for Lidocaine before IV insertion; they poo-poo'd me and stuck it in anyway and it hurt like a SOB, and I let that doctor know I was NOT happy about that, GD it!! They gave me a Morphine spinal - I was rolled into a ball and that's all I remember as I was out after that. Woke up OK in recovery. Had a drain which they left in for 3 days and looked like a 3 foot snake when they pulled it out. Fun stuff. My husband was amazed they could get that much in there! I feel weak, dragging around, somewhat envious that DH can eat and I cannot eat anything. Enough trouble trying to drink. Water and all liquids are a little tough going down. Tea is best cuz it's warm and feels good. I tried to eat that chicken broth in the hospital, but the smell and taste of it gagged me. Everyone is different.

So this is day 4 for me as well, and hope it gets better fast cause I feel like a major pune. Oh, BTW, I did not have to remove any nail polish or nails. Yay for that!:wink1:

AJW,

Congratulations on getting home early. That's wonderful! I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly. I can only hope that you improve quickly. I'm flying out tomorrow to Dr. Aceves. Please keep us informed on how you are doing. I will do the same.

/ Best of luck to you; I'm sure you'll do fine. Just don't expect too much too soon.

On a high note, I did NOT have the gas pain in the shoulder/back that everyone complains about. I "think" but don't know, my pre-op diet helped me a lot with shrinking back the liver and what not so they didn't have to blow a lot of gas into my abdomen. Everyone else was complaining about the gas pain in their shoulder/backs.

On the Isopure front: thought I'd make a smoothie out of the Isopure to make it more palatable. I don't recommend it. It doesn't "smoothie" very well. Just chill and drink; that's the best you can do.

Good job on getting home early. The first few days are pretty tough. Just remember to keep sipping Water at least. I was lucky too, I didn't have the shoulder tip pain either!! Woo Hoo!!

You might want to order some samples from Vitalady of the nectar Protein. Everyone seemed to think the caribean cooler was good. Check out that thread "rate your liquids."

There aren't many people who like the Isopure. I didn't mind it because it had a lot of Protein and I just kept it in the fridge and took a sip through out the day . there was no way I could guzzle a whole bottle of it but I could stand a sip of just about anything. It got me through.

I also bought unflavored protein poweder from GNC and mixed it into

crystal lite.

Hope you feel better soon!

I am sure you are glad to be back in the comfort of your own home. I never experienced the shoulder pain from gas either, thank goodness!

My husband was shocked when they pulled the drain stuff out too. He couldn't believe it didn't hurt. It didn't though, it just felt really freaky coming out. As for the chicken broth, the first time I ate it I enjoyed it, but I think I was desperate for anything at that point. By the time I left the hospital, I couldn't stand the smell or taste of it either.

Take care, concentrate on getting your fluids in and get plenty of rest. You will be feeling better in no time.

Glad you're home ... oh yes, the lovely "peacock poo" ... that will only last a few days - its' due to the blue-dyed apple juice they gave you for the 2nd leak test.

As for the chicken broth - I pratically hurled when they brought it into the room when Bearded had his surgery ... I was too brothed out from my surgery, hospital stay and liquid diet at home -- I couldn't believe how the smell affected me - I had to leave the room.

Take it easy, rest and sleep when you can - you'll be up and going before you know it.

BTW - Dr. Aceves also drinks a ton of coffee!

Hey Guys,

Hope today is better than yesterday. I walked around like a big gas bag burping and back-dooring gas all day, and peeing like a race horse. OK, TMI again. Sorry:blushing:

Yeah, that Isopure has got to go. I cannot stand the taste of it. I did not see on the Vitalady site where you can order samples of the Syntrax Nectar mix, just the big up plastic $30 jars of it. If I get it I just need to like it, ya know. GNC carries it too, but I'm sure not in all flavors, and shipping takes so long. I have other unflavored whey Protein , so I guess I could mix that into different drinks. I tried Hawaiian Punch lite (or basically sugar-free) as suggested by Nina at Dr. A's, but gag me on that stuff. Too sweet. Taking pills is a real challenge too. I soaked the Nex Mups, but I also have to take a BP pill for awhile longer, and at night I take OTC Unisom to help sleep. Nothing is simple any more. On the up side, with all that Water release yesterday I was down 3 pounds today. Of course that's just Fluid retention not fat. One day at a time I guess.:laugh0:

I was pretty positive that Tiffy said she ordered her samples from Vita lady. You could send a pm to Mac.

She knows where to get those samples and others too.

I had to mix my Hawaiin punch half strength with unflavored Protein powder because it was too sweet.

I can't remember which flavor I liked. There was one I did not like.

Thanks. I emailed Michelle at Vitalady to ask about the samples. I'll see what she says.

So how are YOU feeling these days? Are you still having the nausea? Not that I know anything yet because I'm baby-stepping along this process, but from what I've been told it's important to get your Protein in or you can become nauseous. The other reason could be too much acid so maybe you have to take whatever you're taking for acid relief (Nexium, Prilosec) a little longer than 3 months. And finally of course, what you're eating. OK, that's enough from me on this subject since I'm a total newb to the process and you guys are old hands at this by now.

I was pretty positive that Tiffy said she ordered her samples from Vita lady. You could send a pm to Mac.

She knows where to get those samples and others too.

I had to mix my Hawaiin punch half strength with unflavored Protein Powder because it was too sweet.

I can't remember which flavor I liked. There was one I did not like.

I take Protonix. It's a very good acid reducer. I notice I am more nauseous in the morning.

I am good about getting my Protein in. I have a Protein Drink every morning and Protein at every meal.

I am doing a lot better at figuring out my portion size so I don't over eat and that's a big step for me. Eating too much and being in pain because of it is miserable. I now know when to stop eating even though I don't feel full at the table. I know I will be

full in 15 min.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Hey Guys,

Hope today is better than yesterday. I walked around like a big gas bag burping and back-dooring gas all day, and peeing like a race horse. OK, TMI again. Sorry:blushing:

Yeah, that Isopure has got to go. I cannot stand the taste of it. I did not see on the Vitalady site where you can order samples of the Syntrax Nectar mix, just the big up plastic $30 jars of it. If I get it I just need to like it, ya know. GNC carries it too, but I'm sure not in all flavors, and shipping takes so long. I have other unflavored whey Protein , so I guess I could mix that into different drinks. I tried Hawaiian Punch lite (or basically sugar-free) as suggested by Nina at Dr. A's, but gag me on that stuff. Too sweet. Taking pills is a real challenge too. I soaked the Nex Mups, but I also have to take a BP pill for awhile longer, and at night I take OTC Unisom to help sleep. Nothing is simple any more. On the up side, with all that Water release yesterday I was down 3 pounds today. Of course that's just Fluid retention not fat. One day at a time I guess.:laugh0:

My husband crushes his pills in a pillcrusher he got at the drug store, then fills one of those little "medicine cups" with a little water and then dumps the crushed pill on top of the small amount of water, then swallows it. He has found that to be easiest.

I did that at first and some of them tasted pretty horrible. I can take any size pill or capsule now, thank goodness, because I take a lot.

I ordered some samples of the Syntrax Nectar stuff from Vitalady. I figured out how to order them. You have to look past the tub sizes down the list to the $1.99 for the sample sizes. Unfortunately, GNC does not carry it even though they indicate they do on line. Maybe it's only online, who knows? They don't have a variety anyway so no biggie. I am of course stuck with about 8 bottles of Isopure. My husband thinks they "aren't bad," so guess it's not a total loss.