Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off After Sleeve Surgery

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to have my sleeve in September with Dr. Aceves. I have read that most people are different in taking time off, depending on how they feel, etc. I have taken 2 weeks of vacation off from my job, however I have short term disability insurance and they told me that if the doctor says I need more time off, etc that I will be paid for up to a year. (This is good to know, god forbid if any complications happen, etc.) What I wanted to know is, if you werent in a rush to return to work, what reasonable amount of time do you think would be appropriate to take off. I am thinking more along the lines of 4 weeks to allow my body to heal, learn how to eat, etc. Also, for those of you that used Dr. Aceves, do you all think that he would sign my form for me to get 4 weeks off? Im not trying to abuse time off but I work as a nurse and I also work long days and the demands of the job can be very challenging, I just dont want to push myself (especially since my job understands that I am having some type of surgery, they wont fire me or anything like that--of course they cant anyway but im just curious to get some responses.

Thanks a million everyone

If PTO time hadn't been an issue for me, I probably would have taken 2 full weeks off instead of having surgery on Friday and returning the following Friday. I think it would have given my body more time to adjust to having had surgery and the change in eating styles, etc. That said, I also have a desk job that doesn't require any long hours or OT unless I so choose (or we're in trial). I think if you can take 4 weeks off paid, then go for it, given the type of job you do. Congrats Shanda on getting your surgery date.

If PTO time hadn't been an issue for me, I probably would have taken 2 full weeks off instead of having surgery on Friday and returning the following Friday. I think it would have given my body more time to adjust to having had surgery and the change in eating styles, etc. That said, I also have a desk job that doesn't require any long hours or OT unless I so choose (or we're in trial). I think if you can take 4 weeks off paid, then go for it, given the type of job you do. Congrats Shanda on getting your surgery date.

Thanks for answering my question. I figure I might as well, I dont really have a reason to rush back, I mean this is a medically neccessary procedure so I dont see why it should be treated any different than any other type of procedure:001_smile: After all, I deserve it! I think I am going to take the 4 weeks off and be happy with it. After all, I cant take care of patients until I take care of myself first.

How is your journey going VAngel, is it getting easier for you?

Thanks for asking Shanda - I'm still having issues with the spasming - however, I'm learning to start the morning out with something warm and then just nibble or sip throughout the rest of the day -- also it takes me a good hour to eat. I'm doing a bit better with getting my Protein in; however, I'm no where near 60-70 grams. I'm going to get some ensure - Rosey says it's not overly sweet - in fact, very bland - so I will give it a shot for Protein. It's very frustrating; however, it appears I'll have to deal with it for awhile, so will do the best that I can.

Lucky you getting a 4-week vacation!!!

I would have been bored stiff with 4 weeks off but that's just me. It is a little difficult to get used to the post op diet, so if you think you can do that easier at home, go for it.

there are some people that really have trouble with nausea, so the extra time off is nice for those folks. I have a friend that's a nurse and she took 3 weeks off, but decided to go back early and used her PTO for something else.

I would have taken a full two weeks off too, but I'm not sure I would have done much more than that. It can be convenient to wait until you are off liquids though.

I would have taken a full two weeks off too, but I'm not sure I would have done much more than that. It can be convenient to wait until you are off liquids though.

Okay, sounds fair enough.

Well, I'm a stay at home mom but I thought I'd chime in here anyway. :wink1:

For me, 2 weeks would be plenty. I definitely would advise waiting until you are on full liquids. I was very weak on clears only but once I started full liquids, my energy level was great. If you would like an additional 2 weeks off, go for it! But as far as healing, etc. I think 2 weeks is enough to be feeling somewhat back to normal.

Good luck! You are gonna love Dr. Aceves & his staff (but I'm sure you've already heard that many times! :biggrin:)

I had originally only planned on taking a week off. Unfortunately, I had problems with severe dehydration, developed an ulcer, etc. and ended up being off most of April. So much for all my built up vacation time!

Anyways, had I not had those additional issues, in terms of pain, etc., I don't think it would have been a problem to go back after one week, two at the absolute most.

Congratulations on your surgery date! I'm having mine Aug. 13 on a Thurs. and plan to return to work the following Thurs. I, like Vegas, have a desk job. I figured I could limp through 2 days and would have the weekend to crash if I needed to. Very excited and have learned so much on here. I come home everyday and read, read, read. I feel like I know some of you. lol