Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Post... Looking forward to surgery....

Hi All,

I am so new to this. I am scheduled for surgery on the 5th of June :clap2: (Lap Band). I have been reading this site and came across allot of slang, I would like to know what some of this stuff means, i.e., PB.... Whats that? I am sooooo looking forward to this surgery and getting healthy. I have hypertension, diabetes high cholesterol and GERD. I feel like crap all the time. If someone could help me out that would be great. I love this site!!!! It has been sooooo informative and helpful in my choice as far as bypass or banding. My sister had the bypass and has gained 40lbs so far and on her way to more. I am 5'11" and weigh 285lbs. I'm 45 years old and live in Tampa Florida. I have a grand baby on the way and want to be around for his or her life. I know if I don't do something now I will miss that opportunity and that is something I don't want to miss. I'm a little scared of all the changes that life has in store for me. I know this will not be an easy adjustment but its something I have to do to survive. I'm just so glad to have this opportunity. Well, enough of my babbling. Got to run for now, hope to hear from someone out there..... Thanks for your time.... Steve

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Hi Steve,

Here is a link to the Frequently Asked Questions forum:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7959

If you want to find it for yourself, go to the home page and scroll down till you see the Frequently Asked Questions forum, click the link and scroll through the threads to find out what you want to know. Abbreviations is the first 'sticky' thread in that forum. Sticky means it's been attatched to the top of the forum so it's easy to find.

Welcome to LBT - LapBandTalk - keep posting so we'll know how you're doing. Good luck on your upcoming surgery and on your weight loss journey.

Hi

I'm new too. Attended a semiinar recently,, and have my first appt. with the surgeon June fifth. I've been reading for several weeks and did.'t understand many of the abbreviations either. Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping I'll qualify for the lapband surgery. I'm scared and excited. I'm much older than many of you- 67 and wonder how that will affect me. Also I have a lot of serious health problems that may get in the way of my being approved. Oh well, I'm trying to have faith, and hope it will work for me. Thanks, Kay from Houston.

Hi Kay,

I don't think age is an issue. Your health problems are probably associated with your weight. I have a few health problems as well. I have hypertension, diabetes and GERD. My lower back hurts all the time and I can't even start on my knees and feet. I need surgery there as well. I will be going in for my surgery on the 5Th of June so think about me when you are seeing you Doc. I'm nervous and excited as well. I am going through all the Protein diet right now. They say its to shrink your liver, I don't think my liver is shrinking. All I know is I'm STARVING!!!! I am only allowed one meal a day and Protein Shakes the rest of the time. I know this is for my own good but boy a meatball sub sure sounds good about now. Good luck to you. I hope all goes well. Take care and keep in touch.... Steve

You will be ahead of me Steve. I'll be thinking of you as you start the journey. There are quite a few of us in June. Check out that thread to meet the other ones in June. My doctor is not putting me on a preband diet, but I think I will put myself on one. Hubby and I are off for a cruise on Saturday so when we get back its liquids for me.

Good luck to you and welcome.

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to join everyone in welcoming you to LBT! I am newly banded and find this a great source of information and support.

Best of luck.

Dear Steve

Thanks for the reply. Congrats on the baby. That's a great reason to want to be around.

Yes, my health problems are related to my weight. I spend most of my time in a wheelchair, because both kness need replacing badly. My therapist and orthopedic surgeon both recommended lap band before knee surgery. I have to stop smoking to have the lap band surgery and that's my very worst addiction. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and in agony, so it looks like I'm going to have to find a way to stop smoking this time. Nothing so far has worked, but hopefully this time the reason I need to stop will be strong enough.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, especially on the 5th. Thanks again for the encouragement. Kay from Houston

Hi Kay,

I smoked for 33 years. I had to stop for my surgery. I have smoked every since I was 12 years old, quiting was the worst thing I had to do. I found a way to stop and it was the beginning of change for the rest of my life. I found this clinic and for $400.00 dollars I was able to quit smoking. I thought it was a joke but it really worked. I have a little craving afterwords but not like I wanted to rip someones head off. It was so easy!!!! Just a shot in the a** and one behind both ears. I stopped that day and haven't started since. This was 3 months ago. I feel great!!!!! I work in the OR and perform total joint replacement on a wide variety of patients (I assist the physician in surgery). This is to include heavy patients as well. Their outcomes are not as good as someone who is as the thinner patients. I can see why they want you to lose weight. This is only going to help you in the long run. I really wish you well and if you need anything just drop me a line and I will bet back to you. If your interested I can send you a link to one of those STOP SMOKING CLINICS. They are a chain, kinda like McDonalds.... Just kidding.... Well, you have a great night. I wish you well and like I said if you need anything drop me a note.... Take care, Steve