Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone going to gone to Juarez for VSG?

It's Jose Rodriguez that we're going to, I sure hope he makes tiny sleeves, I need all the help I can get! I'm going to ask him to make it extra small..lol

Barbara,

Did you go through the VSG with Dr. Jose Rodriguez? If so, can you give me some more information on your surgery. How was the surgery and doctor? Any leaks? Any problems with infections? How was your stay and flight home?

Any help will be appreciated.

I am due to go on the 29th.

Vamom

I am thinking about getting the super sleeve and have Dr. Jose Rodriguez do it. How did yours go? What was the process like? Who did you use to book with Dr. Rod?

Has anyone heard anything about the super sleeve also known as Laparoscopic total gastric vertical plication (TGVP)?

I'm scheduled to b sleeved by Dr Jose Rodriguez at the Star Medica in Juarez on July 1st. I did all my research and background check and he seems like a good doctor with a lot of experience. My patient facilitator at Beliteweight is Joyce and she was a patient herself. It sure makes one feel better to have some information about the surgeon, even though I havent spoken to him personally, I feel better each time I email my questions (dr's bio, travel safety, flight info, financing, diet, hospital hygiene, staff friendliness, etc) to Joyce and she calls me back with some more info.

She even gave me a list of Dr Rod's Sleeve and Band patients with their emails and after emailing a couple of them with my inquiries, I felt readier than ever. Juarez via El Paso is my preferred location since I live in Houston,TX and I was made to understand that the hospital is about 10-15 mins drive across Mexican border from El Paso airport, plus a driver will be there to take me straight to the doctor's office once I get to the airport. Good luck on the 29th VaMom, I belive you have taken the most important step and that is making the decision to go for it.

Edited by SlimMissy
typo

What you got the 9th!?!? Dang it! I will be there the the day you leave July 12.. Please please let me know how things go. I am getting the super sleeve. I really wish I had got the 9th but it was full.

I am thinking about getting the super sleeve and have Dr. Jose Rodriguez do it. How did yours go? What was the process like? Who did you use to book with Dr. Rod?

Has anyone heard anything about the super sleeve also known as Laparoscopic total gastric vertical plication (TGVP)?

I just got sleeved in Juarez Mexico by Dr Rodriguez yesterday July 1st and I am loving it. Haven't eaten or drank anyhting since Wednesday nite and I dont even feel hungry. He explained that my stoma size is now 250mls and I dont have any problems with that.

The entire staff here at Star Medica are so nice and couteous I can;t ask for a better reception.

I'll be here till Sunday before I go back home. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

I know many people are worried about the pain, belive me it's tolerable plus they will give you medication for that.

If you have a laptop that is Wi-Fi enabled, you may bring it with you to kill the boredom as half the staff don't speak English.

I can't say anything about insurace because I am paying out of pocket. Weight loss surgery or any treatment associated with weight loss is an exclusion to my policy.

Make up your mind and start a new life.

Good Luck:thumbup:

I just got sleeved in Juarez Mexico by Dr Rodriguez yesterday July 1st and I am loving it. Haven't eaten or drank anyhting since Wednesday nite and I dont even feel hungry. He explained that my stoma size is now 250mls and I dont have any problems with that.

The entire staff here at Star Medica are so nice and couteous I can;t ask for a better reception.

I'll be here till Sunday before I go back home. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

I know many people are worried about the pain, belive me it's tolerable plus they will give you medication for that.

If you have a laptop that is Wi-Fi enabled, you may bring it with you to kill the boredom as half the staff don't speak English.

I can't say anything about insurace because I am paying out of pocket. Weight loss surgery or any treatment associated with weight loss is an exclusion to my policy.

Make up your mind and start a new life.

Good Luck:thumbup:

I am so glad to hear things went so well. That makes me feel a lot better! I start my pre-op diet Monday. Yahhh! I just have a few questions for you:

Is there anything I need to make sure to pack?

Did you bring anyone with you? If so how has the trip been for them?

Can you drink the Water at the hospital or take a shower?

Did you get the super sleeve?

Thank you for letting me know so fast how things are going! Please keep me up dated on your process. With you only being 12 days ahead of me any advice you have would be so helpful to me.

I agree with everything Missy says. I too was sleeved July 1 by Dr. Rod at Star Medica. I came by myself, so I got a calling card from Nobel, to call my family. I had a hard time figuring out how to call out. I had to get a nurse to call someone to open the line. Then, once I called the Nobel number they gave me another to call that is local. After calling the pin is not recognized or the call can't go through or try again, etc. I would get through about 1/3 of the times that I tried to call home. I just thought this info might be good info for anyone that buys one of these calling cards to call home. They work but you have to be very patient lol.

I was able to take a shower the day after surgery. The first day after surgery they wouldn't allow us to drink anything. They will give you gas-x strips. That helps with the gas and also helps with the dry mouth.

Another thing that has surprised me so far, I seem to be able to drink without much restriction. I have read a lot of people had trouble getting enough Water in the first few days. I don't think I will have that problem.

Also, your first meal will probably be orange Jello, some kind of hot tea, and apple juice. The first two meals were the same for me (not very good). Then, the next meal had a cup of chicken broth too. Man, it was good!! That chicken broth "hit the spot".

Anyways, good luck. I hope you have as good of an experience as I have had. I will be going home tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by NC Redneck

I made the trip alone and it wasn't so bad. The driver was very friendly and once I got to memorize the doctor's names, I flowed really well with them. You won't be able to help it, they were all really cool! If you are having Dr Rodriguez, you are in for a treat. He will make you feel like a celebrity, period!

You might want to bring a packet of Gas X strips with you, it really helped with the gas pains (it was similar to the feelings you get when you are constipated). Plus a pack of breathable band-aid, cotton puffs (say 3 or 4 puffs), your travel size toiletries of course (even though the hospial provided lotion and Shampoo, I don't play with my Dove, so I went to Wal-Mart and got me some 3oz sizes), I also brought some Crystal Light pouches with me. They cleared me for ice chips on Friday by 12am so I just added a little to my ice to make some Slushees, you know, something different from the Water, Jello and teas they give you at the hospital. In the evenings, I requested for chicken broth because I wanted to go to bed with something warm in my brand new stomach........!

They will give you some terry slippers, clean towels, kleenex, shampoo, lotion, bottled water,etc (of course, this hospital got my 5 satrs) so you dont need any, but you might want to bring some comfy slip-ons for those walks around the hall ways.

The doctor told me my stomach size is a 32 bougie (whatever that was) but he also explained that its abt 250mls and that is the smallest size so I guess I got the best.

I took a shower the very next morning with my back to the shower to avoid any oversoaking on my incision areas and they will give you pain meds so it wont hurt to was your feet.

I'm at the airport (El Paso) no waiting on my flight back home to Houston and my summary of the whole experience is, why did I ever wait so long to make this decision?

Edited by SlimMissy
typos

Hi SlimMissy,

I have been looking into having the vertical sleeve done and I am glad I found your comment. You gave some good tips and I am writing them all down so I don't forget anything. How was it going alone? I think I can do by myself but am not sure. How was the traveling after the surgery?

Hi adokes,

Travelling after the surgery was not as uncomfortable as I thought it will be. Of Course I had to move a little slower than normal but not to the extent that pple will give me worried glances at the airport.

I had the carry-on luggage with the wheels so all I had to do was fit everything in it, including my laptop, and just tug it along.

Once I got through baggage check-in, I found my gate, (I was there early so I didn't have to rush), got a bottle of apple juice, and perched at a comfortable spot facing the window.

With my feet on my luggage and my laptop on my laps, I must have looked like just any other traveller trying to kill time....lol!

When I felt bored, I chew some sugar free Trident gum, read a book, or just took a nap (it was abt 2hrs flight so b4 I kew it I was in Houston).

One word of advice, follow all the instructions to T.

Take your pills as prescribed

Take a break when u feel tired

Take your time to chew everything thoroughly

Take your Water by the sips

Take with you some comfortable clothings

Gastric Sleeve is not a solution to Obesity, it is a tool for maitaining a healthy lifestyle, so Take control of it and use it accordingly.

Good Luck to you :thumbup:.