Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Protein, How to get in all of my protein...

My nutritionist said that it's easier for the body to absorb more Protein if it's the first meal of the day because after sleeping, we require more protein than the rest of the day. I have no idea if he is right, but I just thought I would throw that out there.

Don't worry you don't loose all of your hair or at least I speak for myself but I noticed my hair has thinned somewhat...take your Protein, take Biotin and wash your hair with folicure Shampoo from Sally Beauty Supply and you'll be fine..hair thinning usually starts abbout the 4th month after surgery. :thumbup:

So far I have lost any hair - my hairdresser and I do notice that it isn't growing nearly as fast as it used to; however, neither of us have noticed any of it falling out -- so if I have a choice between it falling out or not growing as fast, I'll take the not growing as fast!

Oh mine is falling out like crazy. I take Biotin and everything anyone has told me to take. I get tons of Protein because I love my Protein drinks.

I hope it slows or stops sooner than it did with band surgery.

Mine has thinned too. I expect it to reverse in a couple of months. I think its the shock of surgery and the diet change.

Have not had a problem losing my hair, thank goodness. I get about 70-90 gms.

I want to enjoy more whole foods; corn, red potatoes, grains, and still keep my calories around 800. So, to do this, I would have to limit my Protein to around 60.

1 oz of red potato is only 25 calories.

I fried it in PAM w/my egg this am and it was darn satisfying.

If I can put tuna salad on whole grain slice of bread, it's doesn't feel like I am dieting. I am just fooling myself?

Edited by Steph_123

How much Protein do you get in each day?

Deb, for the first time with weight loss, I am starting to lose my hair. I have a Sally's right up the street, so I am going to try the Folicure. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are losing muscle because of not eating enough Protein, I would think that is "muscle wasting". If you eat enough Protein, your body will burn fat instead of muscle.

The more muscle you LOSE, the lower your metabolism drops and the less weight you will lose.

SOOO I'd recommend eating the amount of protein that your surgeon advised, what ever that is.

Protein, I get about 70-90 gms, but it really increases my calories. When I google protein requirements for women, it is max at 60 per day. I know, I know, they say you need 1 gm per pound of body weight, and body builders, need 2 gms per pound of body wt. But, I don't care if I lose muscle and fat, just as long I don't have muscle wasting. Isn't 60 enough, really? I am two months out and have always felt energetic since surgery. I want to lose wt faster than I have been. So what if I bring my calories down to 500, as long as I get 60 gms of protein? I don't think it will make me sick or kill me, I am not runnning marathons or tearing down my body through vigorous weight lifting.

Hey, I just realized I am 1/3 the way to my goal!

Another good outcome from eating Protein rich breakfasts is you don't have the rebound rise in insulin (which drops your blood sugar and makes you weak/hungry) that you would have had if your Breakfast contained carbohydrates. The Protein satisfies hunger a lot longer too. It takes longer to digest than carbs, so gives you energy all morning.

My nutritionist said that it's easier for the body to absorb more protein if it's the first meal of the day because after sleeping, we require more protein than the rest of the day. I have no idea if he is right, but I just thought I would throw that out there.

wow that is interesting about the Protein myth. my support group says it all of the time at our meetings. i know my doctor doesn't want his patient using the Protein shakes but i don't see how a person can get in all of their Proteins just with food alone especailly in the beginning. thanks for the help

weight.png