Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

I'm not exactly sure but it had something to do with the hernia removal during the VSG surgery. Apparently the hernia was huge. The repair was done here in the U. S at a mayo hospital. I have pages and pages of reports that Dr. Zapata supplied as well as a dvd that I need to someday review.

Haley,

How are you feeling today? Please keep us up on how you're doing. Know that many thoughts and prayers are coming your way, for healing.

I am feeling much better since my esophagus has opened enough to let all the Fluid go down and nothing is coming out of the neck drain. Hopefully this means I will have a surgery in approx 2 1/2 weeks then another 2 weeks after that. 2 weeks after the second surgery I should get rid of the feeding tube which is causing quite a bit of discomfort. I went for a pain management consult last week and the doctor added a nerve medication that is really helping but it is only 2 x per day.

Hopefully in the next 6-7 weeks the only thing I will be chatting about on these boards is what I am eating and what weight I have lost just like a "normal" vsger.

Thank you for your concern:001_smile:

Well that's a positive note Hayley - glad to hear something good is going your way ... let's hope and pray that the next 6-7 weeks is nothing but positive!

Have been trying different liquids todays as doctor said I could have anything I can tolerate. Yoohoo is too thick. Diet tea from Publix is too sweet. Crystal Light pink lemonade is too acidic. Guess Water it is. Which is really not a bad thing.

Ready to drink EAS or Atkins are not thick. I am not sure if you want to try any type of Protein drinks or not. Eas is really thin like Water.

I am so sorry you're going through this. It has to be rough . I'm glad you have your faith in God to help you through it.

For clear liquid I discovered that I like 0 calorie Sobe Lifewater better than anything else. It is Vitamin enriched, and is sweeteded with stevia. No aspartame etc.

I find it a little sweet so I dilute it half & half with filtered Water. Able to drink three to four 20 oz bottles of the diluted drink daily, easily. (presleeved...we'll see how I do after sleeving.)

There are a lot of flavors, and they contain various herbal and Vitamin products, some of which can increase the risk of bleeding (vitamin E, Ginger, and others) So I'll have to stop it a week prior to surgery and will wait until a week after surgery to resume drinking it.

For clear liquid I discovered that I like 0 calorie Sobe Lifewater better than anything else. It is Vitamin enriched, and is sweeteded with stevia. No aspartame etc.

I find it a little sweet so I dilute it half & half with filtered Water. Able to drink three to four 20 oz bottles of the diluted drink daily, easily. (presleeved...we'll see how I do after sleeving.)

There are a lot of flavors, and they contain various herbal and Vitamin products, some of which can increase the risk of bleeding (vitamin E, Ginger, and others) So I'll have to stop it a week prior to surgery and will wait until a week after surgery to resume drinking it.

This is the one and only drink I have found that I am able to tolerate - and the ONLY flavor I have found that I do not find too sweet is FUJI APPLE PEAR ... Hayley, give it a try -- just buy 1 bottle and see what you think -- they have other flavors, too, but they were too sweet. Bearded says it's th FUJI APPLE PEAR is not sweet at all and I find it absolutely perfect ...just a very subtle aftertaste of pear. I found it at Wal-Mart for $1/bottle - unfortunately they only had 5 bottles, but I'll be back to get more this week. All the other Protein drinks are just too thick and too sickening sweet. I guess since I'm almost 3 months out from surgery that this too sweet situation is going to remain with me -- thank goodness the supersonic smelling has dissipated somewhat.

Good luck on finding a beverage/protein drink you can tolerate.

Try diluting the acai fruit flavor with Water. It is delicious, and my favorite. The 1:1 dilution also saves you half the cost!

:angry::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Try diluting the acai fruit flavor with Water. It is delicious, and my favorite. The 1:1 dilution also saves you half the cost!

:thumbup::thumbup1::mad::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I think I have that flavor left in the fridge, so I will give it a try. The mango melon was good - but too sweet - maybe I'll try diluting that too.

I had complications because I wasn't given the correct information.

My surgeon didn't tell me to take the Nexium, and my stomach was raw and left me feeling ill all the time. Due to feeling ill I stopped eating and drinking and ended up in hospital on a drip. I am now taking nexium twice daily and it seems to have settled things down a bit and I am now able to eat and drink.

Hi Lib

I'm also from Brisbane - just wondering who your Dr was? I'm getting sleeved on the 28th.

thanks

can someone explain to me what might happen if i have complications when i get home and i don't have enough money or insurence. this might sound like a stupid question but if will the hospital still treat me?

can someone explain to me what might happen if i have complications when i get home and i don't have enough money or insurence. this might sound like a stupid question but if will the hospital still treat me?

Yes, the hospital cannot TURN any emergency cases away, its against the law, its called the EMTLA act (cant remember if Im using the right acronym). All hospitals have to treat you regardless of financial status, insurance, etc. They have to stabilize you. Trust me, I know I worked at a county hospital, where 99% of the population had no money or insurance and believe it or not, they got great care. Most of the patients werent US citizens but you still had to stabilize their condition.

so even if i have an infection they'll still give me medicine for it?

Yep, you will notice that now, when you go to an emergency room, you are very, very seldom even approached about insurance and payment information until after treatment has started.