Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

I want to talk! You can PM me if you don't want to post to the board. I am curious if you had your surgery in the States or in Mexico. If in Mexico, who was your surgeon? If you were self pay, who paid to treat the complications? Having to pay out of pocket for any complications is my big fear.

Edie

I also want to know all of the above. Why would a leak happen 2 weeks after surgery?:biggrin0:

I had my sleeve at Fort Campbell KY, I have tricare prime insurance...so most was paid for even the complications. I did have a hospital bill for around 500.00 and copays...I would say I paid 1,000 or a little more out of pocket. It would have only been around 30.00 without the complications. Doing great and living and loving life!!! Down about 60 lbs 20 lbs to goal. Hernia and tummy to get done in November.

I can not explain, neither can the doc why I got a leak. I have heard of people having a leak up to 6 weeks out. I did follow doctors orders so I am not sure why I leaked unless it was small and got bigger over the two weeks.

If you have other questions...feel free to ask. Joy

I haven't had any complications so far. I had surgery and came home and felt great right from the beginning. I had no trouble getting my Protein or Water in as soon as I got home.

Please tell me what complications you had after having the Sleeve surgery. Thanks so much

None really. A little bit of excess mucus the first week, cleared up with liquid benadryl. Other than that, just a bit of trouble swallowing due to swelling. Hot things in the morning seemed to help and each day it gets easier and easier.

I also want to know all of the above. Why would a leak happen 2 weeks after surgery?:biggrin0:

The leak could have happened in the OR but not be big enough to find. Or it could be from improper healing. Or patient "non-compliance" (That's medical talk for you ate something you were told not to.) Or there could have been symptoms right away but they were overlooked.

Those are all things that could happen and have happened to various people.

I DO! Hi I am happy to hear you recovered from all of this!

I had a band till 4/09 - had to remove due to erosion - I had no symptoms - found in EGD - they removed - now at goal 119.0 pounds but starving without the band and I know I will regain if I do not get another band or sleeve -

How much did all the compplications cost you? I do not have ins to cover sleeve - do for band - but not sure band is the right choice again - can you tell me anything to stop my head from reeling! I have read so many good/bad/ band yes / band no / sleeve best / stories I can not think straight -

Thank you in advance for your sharing!

Paula in FL

Hi Paula, and welcome to our forums, we are glad you found us.

I was banded in April of 2006. This April, I revised to the sleeve. I have to tell you it is a wonderful, wonderful improvement over the band. First off, not having to worry about fills and reaching the elusive "sweet spot" is so nice. Add to that no longer choking on my food, being embarrassed when eating out, etc., the sleeve is the most wonderful thing that I have ever had done.

I am reading more and more about people who have success with the band for the first year or so, and then they start having all kinds of complications. I have not heard of any such problems with the sleeve.

Add me to the list. I had no band problems for 2 years. The first 2 years were great. I lost weight and I was happy. Then the complications started in, and I knew they would just keep coming. I revised to the sleeve because I knew I would just gain the weight back and I could not be happier.

I thought once you eroded, they didn't want to put another band in you because, most likely, you'd just erode again??

Mac, that is what I was always told as well.

The leak could have happened in the OR but not be big enough to find. Or it could be from improper healing. Or patient "non-compliance" (That's medical talk for you ate something you were told not to.) Or there could have been symptoms right away but they were overlooked.

Those are all things that could happen and have happened to various people.

What are the symptoms of a leak??

Symptoms may include fever, abdominal pain, rapid heartbeat, intolerance of liquids, abdominal distention and/or dizziness.

I had a leak which seems to be the least of my complications. My esophagus was destroyed and had to be rebuilt from muscle (I keep meaning to ask the doctor where the muscle came from). My left lung was severely infected. It collapsed. I had a team of 4 doctors doing surgery simultaneously to save my life.

I currently have a spit fistula and a feeding tube. Hopefully the fistula will come out in the next 10 days or so and the feeding tube in a few weeks.

I've been having daily episodes of vomiting due to the fistula. The nurse just called me to say it is because I am dehydrated. I am now supposed to get in 64 ounces of Water on top of the liquid Protein that takes 14 hours to go through. Guess I'll be married to this recliner until the fistula and feeding tube come out!

Other than that I am wonderful:crying:

Hayley,

Please keep posting to let us know how you are doing. There are a lot of supportive people on this board. Sorry that you are feeling so miserable.