Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

Hayley, I am so sorry to hear about the complications you had! You poor thing. Please do let us know how you are doing. I am sending lots of good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

I am having the first step of a 2 part surgery to close up the spit fistula tomorrow. I will have the 2nd surgery in about 2 weeks. As of tomorrow I will be on full liquids. So far all I have been able to have since the initial surgery is ice chips. I am soooo looking forward to a glass of unsweetened tea w/ splenda. Not sure if I'll be up to it after surgery tomorrow but I hope very soon after.

Hayley - good luck with your surgery, I'm sure all will be good ... and I hope you are able to enjoy lots of ice tea with splenda!

Hayley, our thoughts are with you as you go into surgery tomorrow. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Surgery did not go as well as hoped. I noticed a lot more Fluid going into the bag after surgery than before but attributed it to swelling. Not wanting to wait the whole weekend withou knowing for sure I called the doctors office. He was not available to talk to me after the surgery. His nurse called back and said that according to the notes they were unable to dialate my esophogus as much as needed so I was being rescheduled to try again in a week. Disappointing but a week I could deal with. The problem is if they stretch too much too fast it can damage my esophagus and there is no tissue left to do another repair. Later onthe doctor called and sais he was not willing to attempt again for a MONTH. All I could do was cry. Another month of just ice chips! And, worst of all, another month of these damn, stupid ostomy bags that no matter how much skin adhesive you use start to leak within hours. He says that once the swelling goes down I may be opened enough that limited amount of fluid will go into the bag. I don't find that much consolation!

Haley, I am so sorry for all that you are going through. I will pray that you heal soon. We are here for you, so please keep us all informed of your progress.

Thank you for sharing your story. Hugs

OMG Hayley I am so so sorry to hear that your surgery didn't go as planned. I will keep you in my prayers that God will lay his healing hands upon you and that everything in your life will get back on schedule. Hang in there and keep your faith. HUGS

Hayley, I am so sorry. That is awful that you are being put through so much. I wish there was something more we could do for you. But do know that you are in our thoughts.

Thank you all so much!!!!!!!! God brought me through thus far and I have to trust he will carry me the rest of the way. What does not kill us makes us stronger. I just wish God didn't have so much faith in me.

Oh my Haley. You have had such a rough time of it. How did your esophagus get damaged during surgery? It seems like it is up there and your stomach is down there and?

I want to ask a really personal question and you don't have to answer. What are you doing about work? This is one of my biggest fears. I am by no means poor but I do have a big California size mortgage and commitments. I can't be missing too many checks if I have complications. It seems trivial when you have a ostomy bag but it just adds to your stress I am sure.

Feel free to vent as much as you want here. I love reading about ups, downs, sideways, backwards, forwards. I love it all.

I have a wonderful boss who is continuing to pay me. He also paid the additional $16,000 hospital bill in Mexico and the $22,000 airvac bill to get me back home to a U. S. hospital. We will eventually workout a repayment plan even if it's not for all of it. Hubby took a major hit in pay as he was with me in Mexico for the over 3 weeks I was there and then took time off for all the surgeries. It hurts a little financially but we had paid off both vehicles and our mortgage is reasonable. I'm just not sure how long my boss will be able to deal with me being gone. I can do quite a bit from home but not everything. I was hoping to go back to work part-time next week which is one of the reasons it is so upsetting that the surgery didn't work.

I agree, he sounds absolutely wonderful and you are so lucky for that.

Haley, Do you know what caused your esophogus to have to be rebuilt?

Did this happen during your vsg?

Who did the surgery to fix your esophogus?

Sorry for all the questions but it might help someone else in the future that this could happen to.