Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why would you leave the US for surgery?

Each person must make their own healthcare decisions. If you do not feel you are being served by a particular doctor or set of healthcare practitioners, it is your right as a medical consumer to change them. If it means changing jobs, then again, it is your decision, it is your health that determines what decision you will make. You can always get another job, can you get another life? For less than the cost of a new car, you can have the surgery that saves your life and/or makes it worth living going forward. It all comes down to what you want to do? Do you want to control your life, your health, your destiny? Research everything, discuss everything, go to surgical seminars. In any given year, there are at least 4 in the Seattle area. They are all different, with different rules for patients and insurance companies.

Remember, the insurance company would rather pay for your stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary embolism (because one of them might kill you, then they would have no more responsibility), so the more obstacles they put in your path, the less surgeries they will have to pay for. Also remember, your insurance dollar is being spent on strokes, heart attacks and pulmonary embolisms too. Do you want it to pay for yours, or someone else's?

Go to a bariatric physician in the United States, and research the one you go to thoroughly--talk to former patients, get his or her statistics on patients, attend a support group meeting for the surgery you are contemplating. Once you start doing research, it will become apparent that the easiest surgery on the patient is sleeve gastrectomy.

Personally, having had a sleeve gastrectomy by a Cadillac doctor, in a Cadillac country, here are the reasons I NEVER even thought about going to a foreign country for surgery:

1. Everybody in the process, doctor, nurses, hospital personnel and support people all speak English and I have already met all of them.

2. The banking laws in the United States are known; your mo Each person must make their own healthcare decisions. If you do not feel you are being served by a particular doctor or set of healthcare practitioners, it is your right as a medical consumer to change them. If it means changing jobs, then again, it is your decision, it is your health that determines what decision you will make. You can always get another job, can you get another life? For less than the cost of a new car, you can have the surgery that saves your life and/or makes it worth living going forward. It all comes down to what you want to do? Do you want to control your life, your health, your destiny? Research everything, discuss everything, go to surgical seminars. In any given year, there are at least 4 in the Seattle area. They are all different, with different rules for patients and insurance companies.

Remember, the insurance company would rather pay for your stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary embolism (because one of them might kill you, then they would have no more responsibility), so the more obstacles they put in your path, the less surgeries they will have to pay for. But remember, your insurance dollar is being spent on strokes, heart attacks and pulmonary embolisms too. Do you want it to pay for yours, or someone elses?

Go to a bariatric physician in the United States, and research the one you go to thoroughly--talk to former patients, get his or her statistics on patients, attend a support group meeting for the surgery you are contemplating. Once you start doing research, it will become apparent that the easiest surgery on the patient is sleeve gastrectomy.

Personally, having had a sleeve gastrectomy by a Cadillac doctor, in a Cadillac country, here are the reasons I NEVER even thought about going to a foreign country for surgery:

1. Everybody in the process, doctor, nurses, hospital personnel and support people all speak English.

2. The banking laws in the United States are known; your money does not need to be converted or transported in cash.

3. There is no better quality care than the United States. People from all over the world come here for care.

4. If anything goes wrong, you have the court system of the United States to bring suit or appeal.

Why go anywhere else?

Why not get the surgery in the US??? Here are several reasons:

1. Not everyone has insurance that covers WLS and must pay out of pocket for the same privelege as those that got lucky enough to work for a company that pays for that premium.

2. Some of us have already have paid for one surgery out of pocket and it didnt work for us so we have to resort to another procedure for the same result and again, money is a big issue. It cost 18 to 20K for the surgery in the US and about 1/2 that by a reputable surgeon in Mexico or another country. BTW, the first surgery that didnt work for me was done by a reputable surgeon in the US in a clinic instead of a private hospital.

3. There is really no comparison for the care you receive in Mexico verses the US.. The Mexican Hospital is private, state of the art, English speaking staff and a private room. I got a clinic for 3 hrs in the US and went home.

I could go on, but I think that there are a couple of people on this site that can educate you much better than I can and I am sure that they will have some input into your comment.

I've worked as a Registered Nurse for over 2 decades in New York. I worked for 4 university affiliated health care systems and had my band surgery in the U.S. as it was paid for by insurance (after a long fight).

The band failed me and Empire BS/BS would not pay for a revision until I had a 6-9 month "paper trail" of documented problems. I was worried that the months and months of choking up stomach acid was going to cause esophageal cancer and I could no longer tolerate the quality of life I was dealing with. I saw 2 bariatric surgeons in NY and spoke with 2 others. All wanted @ $25,000 out of pocket to revise me to a VSG or bypass or give me another band. I only wanted a VSG but they tried to talk me into other procedures (likely because they were more comfortable doing them). The $25,000 included the surgery and the time spent in the hospital in a semi-private room. Two surgeons send you home the same day and the other 2 send you home the next day.

Since the U.S. was letting me down, I researched Mexico and found a bariatric surgeon who certified by the American College of Surgeons. He operated out of a hospital with ICU capabilities and used an all RN staff. For LESS than half the money, I got:

- Transportation to and from the airport

- All pre-op testing

- A night's stay in a gorgeous resort (with free transportation to and from the hospital)

- The surgery

- Post-op testing

- A private room with a private bath and round the clock nursing care for 3 nights

- A 2 week supply of nexium and pain medications

Any doubts I had about going to Mexico were erased when I walked through the doors of the EXTREMELY clean hospital. U.S. hospital could learn a lot from the way things are done in Mexico. I saw my surgeon three times a day and felt safe and cared for. In the U.S., the surgeon sees you for 5 minutes a day. Would I go back to Mexico? In a heartbeat, yes!

You know, I've seen people pretty darn ignorant of the world outside of Seattle, WA but you do kinda take the cake, you know?

Where to start...

Each person must make their own healthcare decisions. If you do not feel you are being served by a particular doctor or set of healthcare practitioners, it is your right as a medical consumer to change them.

You know what? I did just that! I originally had a lap band and the doctors locally to me were $16,500-$19,500 for a band. Mexico at that time was $8K. Now, the money really wasn't the only issue, the issue that mattered to me is that with all my local surgeons they were band factories. After surgery you never seen your surgeon again, you see the follow up staff. You are treated like cattle being herded in and out of the office. Got a problem? Tough, you are made to feel like you are causing your own problems and shuffled out the door.

When I went for a consult in the US with a very well known surgeon who is the editor of OH magazine I made it quite clear to the staff that I did not want them telling anyone I was there. You know, medical privacy and HIPAA issues? Yes, they didn't seem to feel that was important in my case as the Office Manager made it a point to contact my husband (because she knew him) and tell him I was there for a consult. *I* had not told my husband what I was considering yet. HIPAA doesn't really mean a great deal in this country, does it? Not to mention basic ethics. And keep in mind, this is the best of the best in my city. Gotta love the band mills, right?

If it means changing jobs, then again, it is your decision, it is your health that determines what decision you will make. You can always get another job, can you get another life? For less than the cost of a new car, you can have the surgery that saves your life and/or makes it worth living going forward. It all comes down to what you want to do? Do you want to control your life, your health, your destiny? Research everything, discuss everything, go to surgical seminars. In any given year, there are at least 4 in the Seattle area. They are all different, with different rules for patients and insurance companies.

Guess what? Seminars exist all over the world! YES! Amazing but true, seminars exist outside of Seattle. Cool concept, eh?

You know, I thought about that. Almost did it. But I decided on my doc. He has more experience, more hospitalization, a better reputation, more compassion, and better stats than the "leading" bariatric surgeon in all of Arizona. My doc is in Mexico.

I agree that you have to research your surgeon, you are chanting my mantra but to suggest that someone is good because they are in the US and they are bad if they are outside the US, that's nothing but sheer bigotry. What's the matter? Is business slowing down and you need to come to support boards to push the US for surgery? You guys are losing a lot of business to MX. Perhaps instead of jealousy you should consider offering better patient care and more value for the dollar. But we'll really get into more detail on that later.

Personally, having had a sleeve gastrectomy by a Cadillac doctor, in a Cadillac country,

I went to a Bugitti Veyron level doctor in a Cadillac country. Maybe you shouldn't have settled for a mere Cadillac.

here are the reasons I NEVER even thought about going to a foreign country for surgery:

Honey, we can already see that you didn't think for yourself on this one, we want to know why you didn't think and research, not why you assume nonsense.

1. Everybody in the process, doctor, nurses, hospital personnel and support people all speak English and I have already met all of them.

You bring up a good point here. One of my frustrations with my US primary care doc hires all Spanish speaking people. Wouldn't it be great if they all spoke English as well? I mean, we are in the US, right? Yet my MX bariatric surgeon's staff speak both English and Spanish.

2. The banking laws in the United States are known;

Now, here you go again! We are talking health care on this board and you are talking banking. Are you aware there is a difference in the two types of services?

your mo Each person must make their own healthcare decisions.

Kewl Beans, we are back on topic! Health care!

If you do not feel you are being served by a particular doctor or set of healthcare practitioners, it is your right as a medical consumer to change them. If it means changing jobs, then again, it is your decision, it is your health that determines what decision you will make. You can always get another job, can you get another life? For less than the cost of a new car, you can have the surgery that saves your life and/or makes it worth living going forward. It all comes down to what you want to do? Do you want to control your life, your health, your destiny? Research everything, discuss everything, go to surgical seminars. In any given year, there are at least 4 in the Seattle area. They are all different, with different rules for patients and insurance companies.

Do you realize that when you copied and pasted this mess you repeated yourself? Really, proof reading saves so much embarrassment.

We'll skip all the repeated nonsense and move on:

2. The banking laws in the United States are known; your money does not need to be converted or transported in cash.

You really didn't do a great deal of research here. I neither converted my money to pesos or brought cash. I paid with a US cashiers check. Really, a little education on the world around you wouldn't kill you.

3. There is no better quality care than the United States. People from all over the world come here for care.

Not according to our very own US CDC. Do you know hospital infection rates are higher in the US than MX? It is your silly opinion that the US is best for medical care. I believe there is good and bad about every country and their medical care and being IN the health care field in the US I can list the bad all day long.

Did you know that people from all over the world go to Mexico for medical care? I guess according to your logic that makes Mexico best, yes?

4. If anything goes wrong, you have the court system of the United States to bring suit or appeal.

Not so much, I know of 4 people that had 4 different US surgeons and they put their lap band around a wad of fat instead of their actual stomach. They can't find an attorney to sue these doctors because it's not worth enough money. You are making assumptions again instead of doing a bit of reading and research. Perhaps someone could help you do that next time you have a need for medical care and you won't have to base your decisions on ignorance, bigotry, and assumptions?

Why go anywhere else?

Let's explore that, shall we? Just for fun let's do a bit of a comparison:

US vs. MX, okay? Now, the US is where you are and Mexico is south of you. Just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page here. I mean, I've seen your research and I'm not very impressed so I just wanted to clarify a bit.

Let's use the Lap Band for an example because that was my first surgery.

Dr. S vs. Dr. Aceves

Dr. S sees you one time before surgery, sometimes the day of surgery, and then as soon as you wake up you go home.

Dr. Aceves sees you the day before surgery for an extensive discussion as well as a discussion with the Asst. Surgeon. Then he sees you usually three times daily while hospitalized.

If you travel to see Dr. S for surgery you stay in a hotel for recovery. If you travel to see Dr. Aceves for surgery you stay in the hospital for two nights after a lap band (three nights for a sleeve).

Dr. S does not check on you after surgery. Dr. Aceves does rounds three times daily while you are in the hospital, as does his asst. surgeon.

Dr. S is a bit of a bigot... well, he's a big 'ol buggar of a bigot. Dr. Aceves is not.

Dr. S does not do follow up care on his patients, Dr. Aceves does.

Dr. S charges for follow up care, Dr. Aceves does not.

Dr. S works out of a nasty little surgical center or a dirty hospital if you prefer (I used to work there, I know). Dr. Aceves works out of a very clean hospital - only.

Dr. S's office does not maintain patient confidentiality, Dr. Aceves' office does.

Dr. S is $16,500 for a band on an outpatient basis, Dr. Aceves is $7K for surgery and 2 nights in the hospital.

Darl'en, drop the bigotry and expand your mind! Just because a surgeon is in the US doesn't make him any good. There are a many excellent surgeons throughout the world, amazingly they don't all congregate in the US to practice their trade.

Get out, learn about the world around you. No need to show such ignorance about a topic you obviously have not researched.

Cheers.

I wouldn't go to Mexico for surgery, mainly because I know there are a number of doctors in the US who do the sleeve for about the same price as if I were to fly to Mexico, including the one I'm going to. So there's really no reason at all for me to leave the country for the sleeve. By the time you add in travel costs, it's not any more inexpensive. Plus there is still that language barrier that is possible with some of the nurses.

I don't think the Mexican surgeons are somehow less qualified though. You'll find good and bad ones all over the world.

I wouldn't go to Mexico for surgery, mainly because I know there are a number of doctors in the US who do the sleeve for about the same price as if I were to fly to Mexico, including the one I'm going to. So there's really no reason at all for me to leave the country for the sleeve. By the time you add in travel costs, it's not any more inexpensive. Plus there is still that language barrier that is possible with some of the nurses.

I don't think the Mexican surgeons are somehow less qualified though. You'll find good and bad ones all over the world.

I agree. I am finding lower and lower pricing here in Texas. I am still looking into Mexico for experience reasons mostly. I have found a Drs. here for $11,500 to $12,500 but they have only done 25-100 Sleeves. So it is decision I will have to make. And it is hard.

P.S. It only took WASa 26 minutes for that pungent reply, now that's what I call expeditious!

Edited by alegna242
add-on

True, there are some doctors in the US that are pretty cheap but considering US prices, you get what you pay for. The dollar goes a lot farther in MX.

I know of a guy in Michigan that I wouldn't send my dog to. He has a 2.5% leak stat and he doesn't even have 500 staple lines of experience. I don't consider that a great deal at all. I can't remember, I think he's around $11K.

For $9500 I can go to MX, get someone with a 0% leak stat on sleeves, over 600 sleeves done to date, and over 1100 staple lines. To me, it's a no brainer.

It's not even the cost, it's experience, skill, # of leak tests, stats, how many days in the hospital, the whole picture. The dude with the 2.5% leak stat (global stats, btw, are far less than 1%) doesn't even DO leak tests on the patient. With his track record, shouldn't he be doing every single leak test he can on his patients?

"If you don't like your insurance provider just change jobs???"

How cavalier can you get? What world do you live in? You give up your job because you don't like the insurance carrier? Your job satisfaction, tenure, and other benefits don't count? That says nothing about the current economy where, if you have a job, you'd dang well better keep it.

I could have paid to have it here in my city, but none of the bariatric surgeons had any experience with the sleeve. I voted for experience over locality.

I've had surgery here and if you see your surgeon for five minutes after the surgery, you are lucky. I liked seeing my personal surgeon come to check on me three times a day every day I was there and that didn't include the visits from his assistant, the Internest and the Anesthesiologist both before and after surgery.

Do you realize many of the doctors you currently go to have been trained outside of the United States because they could not get into medical school here?

Your post is one of the most ignorant I've seen on any of the boards.

Bah-bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Edited by Rosebud2

I agree. I am finding lower and lower pricing here in Texas. I am still looking into Mexico for experience reasons mostly. I have found a Drs. here for $11,500 to $12,500 but they have only done 25-100 Sleeves. So it is decision I will have to make. And it is hard.

P.S. It only took WASa 26 minutes for that pungent reply, now that's what I call expeditious!

You know, I could'a been faster but I was annoyed at that post and I had to keep back spacing and changing my wording or Elisabeth would have had to moderate my post and that would have been embarrassing. ;o)

There are fantastic surgeons all over the world. Within the US and outside the US. Each person has to determine what they are looking for, what they require, what is important to them, and find the doctor that meets their needs and requirements. No individual doctor is right for everyone. I found the one that met my expectations and requirements and went for it.

Research is critical regardless of where you go. With that said, it really does annoy me when those uneducated about the world around them knock anyone that isn't born and raised in the US.

I like the banking bullshit.

DID YOU KNOW, you can transport any amount of cash across the border. It is NOT against the law. It is only against the law to not report it. And I don't really think people are actually taking "cash" when they say they are a self pay or cash pay. You must be some kind of tool.

You show, you don't know shit about how things really work.

I know of a guy in Michigan that I wouldn't send my dog to. He has a 2.5% leak stat and he doesn't even have 500 staple lines of experience. I don't consider that a great deal at all. I can't remember, I think he's around $11K.

I don't know where you are getting your "stats" from, but I can tell you they aren't accurate.