Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble transitioning into maintenance

I only count my Monday weight as official. That way I'm counting weight loss/gain on a weekly basis and all the little ups and downs even out.

The rest of the weighing is just me being compulsive. I want to cut it out but I can't seem to stop myself.

I only count my Monday weight as official. That way I'm counting weight loss/gain on a weekly basis and all the little ups and downs even out.

The rest of the weighing is just me being compulsive. I want to cut it out but I can't seem to stop myself.

I can totally relate -- I have my scale in the kitchen, as the bathrooms are too small and the moisture isn't good for them anyway. All the other rooms are carpet and the kitchen is tile ... so there it is, just waiting for me every morning...calling my name ....

I am completely compulsive about weighing and I don't have any intention of stopping.

The only time I don't weigh every day is when I am being extremely bad. That hasn't happened in a long time.

It drove me nuts when I was in AZ and I was weighing on a different scale.

I am completely compulsive about weighing and I don't have any intention of stopping.

The only time I don't weigh every day is when I am being extremely bad. That hasn't happened in a long time.

It drove me nuts when I was in AZ and I was weighing on a different scale.

Well at least you know it and admit it ...

Too funny about staying away when you're bad - you crack me up!

You know, I've found the transition to maintenance the hardest thing about the whole weightloss journey by a LONG shot.

I cannot seem to give myself permission to not be trying to lose weight. Its not that I find the middle ground hard to find, its more that I consider that normal eating (and thus not having the feeling of deprivation that you get when trying to cut back, however mild) "naughty". I cant seem to feel comfortable with being satified, eating what I want and trusting my body to not lie to me about what it needs, I have been just doing what I'd call 'maintenance exercise' meaning a 7km run most days and I feel guilty for being "slack". Where does this need to punish myself come from?

I'm at the stage with my body image where overall, I have come to terms with the new me, I have a realistic vision of myself, I know that I'm not fat, in fact I'm pretty slim and I can see my problem areas, as always are my buttocks, hips and upper thighs. I know that I'm a PERFECT candidate for some Lipo there, I just need an artistic touch to smooth me out a bit and I would have a really nice figure as I'm lucky to be well proportioned, tall and slim. We've earmarked some money in about september for that because realistically, I cant control where the weight comes off and a) I find my current 150lb VERY easy to maintain and :biggrin0: I know I'll lose my boobs, get gaunt in the fact and STILL have saddlebags if I lost more weight anyway.

So why not just relax, enjoy not having to diet, run my easy runs that I enjoy so much and not push myself to run myself into the ground? I dont know. I feel like I'll lose control or something, its so weird.

Maintenance is really really hard. Keeping the weight off isnt, but adjusting to not needing to lose weight is!

I can totally relate -- I have my scale in the kitchen, as the bathrooms are too small and the moisture isn't good for them anyway. All the other rooms are carpet and the kitchen is tile ... so there it is, just waiting for me every morning...calling my name ....

We just moved into an apartment that was much smaller than our home and have the same issue with carpet. So, I keep my scale in the closet and pull it out once a week to weigh now. I am actually happy about that because I was getting on it every day and the up and down fluctuations drove me crazy.

That's cool Jacqui that you're going to get to have Lipo.

It's really easy to have that feeling of losing control, like you are talking about. We all drilled it into our heads before WLS that we HAVE to keep dieting.

Jachut, that's it exactly.

Today, after biking for 35 miles, including hill repeats, I decided to have HALF a PB&J sandwich. This is supposed to be a good recovery food and I'm tired of eating all these "engineered" foods. I used a whole grain bread and a low-sugar jelly. And I still felt naughty!, like I was "cheating" somehow.

I can totally relate. Today I ate the crust off my 15 month old grandson's pb&J. It was whole wheat bread and all natural no sugar added jelly. I had that really guilty feeling like I had just eaten a piece of chocolate cake.

Hey, just wanted to say that it's been getting easier.

That's good Mac. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to swtich over. I think you said on another thread that you added in nuts, and they are a good Protein but high in calories. So that's a good thing. You're still taking in protein, but adding back something good.

I had to take them out. :confused1: I was eating too many. I still eat them sometimes but I was eating them every day! Sometimes more than once a day!

The big thing for me was how to deal with the calories from exercise. I didn't want to get in the habit of eating a candy bar every day because I can eat 1800-2000 calories a day and not gain. But I was consuming too many liquid calories during workouts in a vain effort to replace every calorie I burned. So I cut back on those too.

It's all a big balancing act.

I am at this stage now, I am not sure if I want to lose much more, but I am really at a loss to stop losing. I am doing no exercise and constantly losing. I don't want to look unwell which I am starting to :confused1:

Well, eat more. :confused1:

I know it's not quite that easy, but one thing I did that worked well was to increase my intake 100-200 calories a day for a week and then see what happened.

If you don't keep nuts in the house, it's easier to not eat them every day. I can't keep anything in the house that is tempting.