Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick question...Myth or Fact?

So not that I am going anywhere right now, but in the future when I do intend on traveling. I have heard that people with bands, have a hard time on plane rides, like they feel as if there band tightens. Anybody know anything about this or have experience?

Thanks! -Chloe

Ditto GUY - I've been on several flights since my banding in 08 and never experienced any issues. I believe myth, but ask your doctor just to be on the safe side.

Hi,

after flying and sometimes after I do heavy exercising... My band tightens a bit. It's no big deal. And it usually last only 2-3 days at most when I fly.

I have flown many times and never had a problem, even with coast to coast flights.

I have never had any problems with flying.

I have never experienced it but there are those who experience tightness in the morning and those who do not. I am one of the ones that feel tight first thing in the morning. Also, I hear some people feel band tightness when they are stressed out. I think the only thing we all have in common is we are all banded (those post op anyway) and everything is individually based.

I have never experienced it but there are those who experience tightness in the morning and those who do not. I am one of the ones that feel tight first thing in the morning. Also' date=' I hear some people feel band tightness when they are stressed out. I think the only thing we all have in common is we are all banded (those post op anyway) and everything is individually based.[/quote']

My band tightens in the morning too.

I haven't had this issue.

Hi' date=' after flying and sometimes after I do heavy exercising... My band tightens a bit. It's no big deal. And it usually last only 2-3 days at most when I fly. [/quote']

Same for me!

no problem flying. Am tightening, loosened with a warm drink and definitely stress tightening.

I am definitely tighter inn the morning until I drink some warm tea!

My doc would not give me a fill before a flight, but even 8 weeks after the fill I got a bit tight. Nothing painful, but I stayed on liquids the rest of the day and was fine the next day. Did hear of a lady who flew to Chicago from Seattle and could not eat or drink anything for 3 days. Don't really know if that was true. Just don't get a fill prior to takeoff and you should be ok. I know of a flight attendant with a band and she has no problems.

So not that I am going anywhere right now, but in the future when I do intend on traveling. I have heard that people with bands, have a hard time on plane rides, like they feel as if there band tightens. Anybody know anything about this or have experience?

Thanks! -Chloe

I am 8 years post op, and I would say I've experienced a "tighter" band while in flight sometimes, and it also depended on how "tight" my band was and what was going on with me personally.

I would say it's not FACT OR MYTH, but it depends on that individual person. I fly a LOT with my husband and I've only experienced a tighter band when my band was on the "tight side" or if I had some allergies or congestion, but other than those few rare times that my band was very tight, I never have any issues while flying.

I agree with the above poster, I would never get a fill right before vacation or right before a long trip when you may not have access to your surgeon, the band CAN tighten up after a fill without notice.

Also Allergan the manufacturer suggest to people if they are going to be out of the country for long periods of time, they suggest to remove a little Fluid from the band to prevent any obstruction or any swelling.

I fly longhaul international flights quite a bit, and have never had any discomfort from my band tightening in flight or post arrival. I do make sure, however, that I bring on board band-friendly food because I rarely can eat the traditional airplane offerings--too much bread, Pasta, potatoes, etc, and not enough Protein.< /p>