Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost scared to eat

Banded on Friday and had a super gnarly hiatal hernia and I am freaking sore! I am one tough chick but this hurts. I am also supposed to be starting full liquids today and am almost scared to. I feel my tummy rumble a little but I don't know if it's hunger or gas. I had maybe 1/4 cup of thinned cream of wheat the morning and a 1/8 cup thinned pudding with a scoop of Protein just now. I am terrified of throwing up. Any advice?

You probably will not throw up but if your doctor gave you medication for nausea then take it before you eat even if you are not nauseated. At least it will help you. It is normal to have fear of eating but that shall pass quickly when you are healed and hungry.

Throwing up from nausea or from getting stuck?

There's lots of talk about being afraid to transition foods due to fear of getting stuck so I just want to clarify.

If thus far you have not had any complications with your Clear Liquids (nausea, excessive restriction where it doesn't feel like the Water is going down etc) than it's time to transition. Go slow and test each sip. Going slow will reduce nausea but will also let you gauge if the thicker liquid is problematic. If it is, extend your clears another day and try again. If not, slowly add volume with each 'meal' and eat progressively thicker liquids once the thinner liquids pass with no problem. Although docs give us timelines, we are all unique and sometimes we need to extend the period we are on (liquids, mushies etc). It's an experiment to say the least. Listen to your band and your body. Trust when you feel uncomfortable to stop or even take a step back. But also trust that when there's no issue, there's no issue and you can resume transitioning. Easy does it. But please don't be 'scared' simply be slow :)

Throwing up from nausea or from getting stuck? There's lots of talk about being afraid to transition foods due to fear of getting stuck so I just want to clarify. If thus far you have not had any complications with your Clear Liquids (nausea' date=' excessive restriction where it doesn't feel like the Water is going down etc) than it's time to transition. Go slow and test each sip. Going slow will reduce nausea but will also let you gauge if the thicker liquid is problematic. If it is, extend your clears another day and try again. If not, slowly add volume with each 'meal' and eat progressively thicker liquids once the thinner liquids pass with no problem. Although docs give us timelines, we are all unique and sometimes we need to extend the period we are on (liquids, mushies etc). It's an experiment to say the least. Listen to your band and your body. Trust when you feel uncomfortable to stop or even take a step back. But also trust that when there's no issue, there's no issue and you can resume transitioning. Easy does it. But please don't be 'scared' simply be slow :)[/quote']

Not from nausea but from getting stuck or just that my new tummy won't handle it well. I just don't want to mess anything up and it's also really hard for me to tell if I am actually hungry. Thank you both for the great advice. :)

I'm with carrie.0508, I was also banded on friday. I'm doing thicker liquids now like yogurt and pudding and even some blended oatmeal with no issues. I have no fill in my band so I think most of it goes right thru.. Carrie, I too get that grumbly feeling in my tummy and even after I've eaten something so maybe it is gas. I know I can drink up to 10 oz of liquid with no problem within about 20 minutes.

Nothing to be scared about. Think of it as you've had the stomach flu for days. When you start feeling better you don't just jump off and eat a steak and loaded potato. No, you drink Gatorade and broth then maybe add some saltines then maybe add a little something else until you know your not going to be sick again. Same scenario with band and even more so with your hernia. Take it slow. Thin your shakes down, thin your yogurt down, thin your pudding down. If you don't have issues with Popsicles and Jello than dont be afraid to try thicker stuff. I over did it yesterday with my shake. Never threw up but could tell I over did it. I mixed it too thick and my body told me so. I just felt kinda puny for a couple of hours. Mixed another this morning, thinner of course, and never had an issue. Actually ready for another. Keep things in moderation too. Maybe only have two to four ounces. Don't drink a whole eight ounce shake. I ate a pudding cup yesterday and it took me 4 hours for one cup. Every bite was delicious and was like a little treat everytime I went back for more.

It is normal to be nervous, but if your have not been having troubles it is probably time to progress. Just take is slow with small sips.

Treat your tummy like it's brand new and introduce everything slowly like it is the very first time.

Take it slow. I am still learning to listen to my body about being satisfied. I get plenty of rumbles during the day, but I am learning to go with how I feel and not the rumbles. I am 11 days post-op and felt I was ready to introduce mushies, but thought I'd better check with my doctor. His nurse told me no mushies. Stay on the liquid diet which is for 2 weeks after surgery. I go see him Thursday and hope at that time I can go to next step. I do what the Doctor or his Nurse tells me, as I don't want to mess up what I have waited for almost a year to get done. Good Luck!

Take it slow. I am still learning to listen to my body about being satisfied. I get plenty of rumbles during the day' date=' but I am learning to go with how I feel and not the rumbles. I am 11 days post-op and felt I was ready to introduce mushies, but thought I'd better check with my doctor. His nurse told me no mushies. Stay on the liquid diet which is for 2 weeks after surgery. I go see him Thursday and hope at that time I can go to next step. I do what the Doctor or his Nurse tells me, as I don't want to mess up what I have waited for almost a year to get done. Good Luck![/quote']

I was told that today I could start full liquids. Having watery mashed potatoes for dinner, on the 13th I will start soft foods.

How's the eating going?

Better. Had some Tomato bisque Soup for lunch and having the rest of my mashed potatoes (1/4 cup) tonight. Got full after 4 bites of soup today and have stayed full for 4 hours. I know soon the swelling will go down and the hunger will kick in sooner. I have my 6 day post op tomorrow so I am hoping to at least be down a few lbs. :)

That's great news. Being scared to eat could not have been fun at all. Congrats on the progression and just keep taking those baby steps