Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill and it's a doozy..

Well I wasn't prepared to be this uncomfortable with my first fill. I went Wednesday and the nurse explained that the first time they like to fill the band completely up and then let out saline. So she filled it up with 10 cc's, had me sit up and take a couple of sips. The pressure was intense and I started getting nauseated. She then removed some and had me sip Water until I guess she decided 2 cc's were good. I felt fine until that night while trying to sleep. I tossed and turned bc I could feel the pressure of the band and it was really uncomfortable. Yesterday I maybe got in 10 ounces of water/hot tea but it just hurt so bad I didn't want to drink. I tried a SF popcicle and experienced sliming for the first time. Today isn't much better. I should be able to do soft foods but that's not happening. I'm just trying to force myself to drink. I'm really hoping this passes soon. I'm assuming this is normal bc of swelling right?? Will this happen with all of them or is the first fill the worst? They already scheduled me for my 2nd and 3rd fill in 2 and then 4 weeks from the first. I'm already dreading it.

You may be really swollen since she put 10 cc's in then took it out. That makes no sense to me but whatever their reason is for that. I stay swollen for three weeks after a fill so you might want to hang in there or if its too bad have them take some out. Some peoples stomachs are just very sensitive.

So when you say you're swollen for 3 weeks does that mean you just have to be careful what you eat and have some discomfort? Yeah I don't know the reasoning behind it but she said it's something the surgeon likes done on everyone's first fill. I figured if I'm not feeling better by Monday I'll call them. I know that some people have to stay on liquids longer after a fill and I'm fine with that but I would like to consume my liquids without the pain!!

Granted this is strictly my opinion based on my own experience and my surgeon's advice, but if I couldn't drink liquids without pain I'd be getting a small unfill. It's too easy to become dehydrated and bands that are too tight simply aren't safe. If I told my doctor it caused any discomfort to drink liquids, he'd insist on removing some Fluid immediately (and he has in the past).

Best wishes.

I usually have to be on liquids for three weeks. Mostly Protein Shakes. I only get a fill maybe once a year but none this year yet.

I have had 11 fills already and have never noticed anything at all. no swelling, no discomfort, no help..LOL. The have went very smoothly for me. After my last one...finally can tell it may be starting to finally do something. If you cant even drink...you need to go in immediately for an unfill.

Well I wasn't prepared to be this uncomfortable with my first fill. I went Wednesday and the nurse explained that the first time they like to fill the band completely up and then let out saline. So she filled it up with 10 cc's' date=' had me sit up and take a couple of sips. The pressure was intense and I started getting nauseated. She then removed some and had me sip Water until I guess she decided 2 cc's were good. I felt fine until that night while trying to sleep. I tossed and turned bc I could feel the pressure of the band and it was really uncomfortable. Yesterday I maybe got in 10 ounces of water/hot tea but it just hurt so bad I didn't want to drink. I tried a SF popcicle and experienced sliming for the first time. Today isn't much better. I should be able to do soft foods but that's not happening. I'm just trying to force myself to drink. I'm really hoping this passes soon. I'm assuming this is normal bc of swelling right?? Will this happen with all of them or is the first fill the worst? They already scheduled me for my 2nd and 3rd fill in 2 and then 4 weeks from the first. I'm already dreading it.[/quote']

I have had my band for thirteen months and I have never heard of the band being filled then let out slowly. I would query that with your surgeon. I have been taught that being overfilled can caused you problems and that slow progressive fills means that you are psychologically adjusting as well as physically.

Granted this is strictly my opinion based on my own experience and my surgeon's advice' date=' but if I couldn't drink liquids without pain I'd be getting a small unfill. It's too easy to become dehydrated and bands that are too tight simply aren't safe. If I told my doctor it caused any discomfort to drink liquids, he'd insist on removing some Fluid immediately (and he has in the past). Best wishes.[/quote']

I agree that if I couldn't drink liquid I would have a small unfill. Only my experience but I have to keep mine a little looser as hormonal fluctuations, stress, heat etc all cause me issues as I seem to be very sensitive to the slightest thing. I'm now staying a little looser then even with the fluctuations I'm okay. If you are quite tight and like me sensitive to fluctuations then I would be a little worried about what would happen if you feel a bit tighter during those periods.

That said though it may well be swelling. After a fill I always do two days Fluid followed by two days mush before going back to normal eating to give my stomach a break.

Hope you get sorted

Did they explain WHY they pumped 10cc's into you all at once? Was his the Dr. or a Nurse..or the cleaning lady who stayed at the Holiday Inn last night.

I usually have to be on liquids for three weeks. Mostly Protein shakes. I only get a fill maybe once a year but none this year yet.

I'm 9 months out and still getting fills every 4 weeks!. I wish I could go just once a year for a fill.

I hope I can get to that point.

Well I wasn't prepared to be this uncomfortable with my first fill. I went Wednesday and the nurse explained that the first time they like to fill the band completely up and then let out saline. So she filled it up with 10 cc's, had me sit up and take a couple of sips. The pressure was intense and I started getting nauseated. She then removed some and had me sip Water until I guess she decided 2 cc's were good. I felt fine until that night while trying to sleep. I tossed and turned bc I could feel the pressure of the band and it was really uncomfortable. Yesterday I maybe got in 10 ounces of water/hot tea but it just hurt so bad I didn't want to drink. I tried a SF popcicle and experienced sliming for the first time. Today isn't much better. I should be able to do soft foods but that's not happening. I'm just trying to force myself to drink. I'm really hoping this passes soon. I'm assuming this is normal bc of swelling right?? Will this happen with all of them or is the first fill the worst? They already scheduled me for my 2nd and 3rd fill in 2 and then 4 weeks from the first. I'm already dreading it.

The Nurse filled you up to 10cc and then removed all the saline? If I were you I would ask your surgeon what his opinion of that.....

Better yet, call and ask the Lap Band manufacturer (Allergan) what their thoughts are with not following the band recommended first fill adjustment procedures for first fills and the long term consequences. They will answer your questions for free.

It should NEVER be painful to drink Water.< /p>

I completely agree with na na I really would contact the manufacturer about this. I'm sure you are fine but procedures are there for a reason.

Here's what my surgeon says

The Band Ain’t Getting Any Looser!!

Posted by Dr. Rachael Keilin a cosmetic surgeon and a Texas lap band doctor.

At least once every clinic day I have to unfill

someone who has been too tight for many weeks.

Sometimes many months.

A very few people knew they were too tight,

knew it wasn’t a good idea to stay that way,

but just couldn’t come into clinic for some reason –

distance, schedule, finances.

But the vast majority of people say,

“I thought it would get better.”

This is a brief post to say: IT WON’T GET BETTER

If you are experiencing symptoms of being too tight such as:

-not being able to eat 4 ounces of meat

-having most solid foods “hang up” and even come back up

-night coughs

-waking up choking

-frequent vomiting

-poor weight loss

THEN THE BAND NEEDS TO BE LOOSENED A LITTLE!

The band is a mechanical device. It does not tighten

on it’s own. There are many things that might make a

band that felt fine for awhile suddenly feel too

restrictive such as Water retention or inflammation of

the stomach or esophagus. Or maybe the last fill put in a

little too much Fluid and it’s been uncomfortable

taking in food ever since.

But once it’s too tight, it’s not going to

loosen on its’ own, either. Some Fluid needs to

be removed.

The longer the band stays too tight, the more

likely there are to be more serious consequences

such as aspiration pneumonia, band slippage and

band erosion. Keep in mind the last two might actually

require surgery!

And if you read the list above all the way to the

end you’ll notice something else – a band that is too

tight does not allow for good weight loss. When the

band is too tight almost every single person will try to

eat whatever will go down easily. And that includes

chips, ice-cream and sweet drinks.

Nobody ever lost weight on a diet of chips, ice-cream

and sweet drinks no matter how small the portion is you

think you’re eating.

So don’t sabotage your diet by letting the band force you

into eating nothing but junk, or keep you up all

night with heartburn, or land you in the hospital

with pneumonia.

If you have symptoms lasting more than two days that imply that your band is too tight, irrespective of the last time you got the band adjusted, then COME IN and get it unfilled a little.

I promise you’ll feel better and lose weight faster.

Just got my first fill this morning after surgery on July 16, 2013 and had no pain or problems. Dr. only put in 1cc. I don't know much about this since it was my first fill but it doesn't make sense that your Dr. would fill your band with 10cc then take it out. Sounds like you still my have to much saline in your band. I think I would go back and have them to unfill you. Good Luck!

Thank you! And yes I called first thing Monday morning and went in to get an unfill. It was only getting worse and I started having really bad reflux while trying to sleep Sunday night. I had 1.5 of my 2 cc's removed. I feel great now. I guess I may just be sensitive or something. I guess everyone is different. The crazy thing is that I do feel restriction. I'm not hungry like I was before and get satisfied from smaller amounts than before. Of course this could change anytime. I was already scheduled for my second fill a week from today and my surgeon said to go ahead and come in. I think I will choose to get a very small fill like .5 or 1 cc if I need it. He did say that you could feel a little tighter but if it's tight and hasn't gotten better in 48 hours then an unfill is warrented. This is definitely a learning process!!