Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst decision of my life - removed & still handicapped & chronic pain

Getting the lap band was the worst decision of my life. You should only do it if you have chronic illnesses that you know will kill you -- not because "every obese person gets...."

I have had chronic pain, many many surgeries. Even with lap band removed - likely permanent abdominal wall injury. Couldn't lay down for 4 years. Now I can lay down just on right side.

I had one problem after another in that area, even after the lap-band was removed 6 months after it was put it. I was obese, sleep apnea - but had worked out 7-10 hours per week, had hiked, biked, active sex life. ALL OF THAT IS NOW GONE BECAUSE OF CONSEQUENCES OF LAP-BAND.

I now am on chronic pain meds, trying accomodations to have some type of life. Income dropped dramatically because now can only manage part-time work at best.

I NEVER should have gotten a lap-band. One should only get it when you are at the part that loss of life & income already happening - not just likely to happen,

I'm truly sorry you've gone through so much, but you need to realize you are the exception not the rule. Most people never experience anything even remotely like you have. In fact, often the Lap Band can be a life saver. I know it cured me of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and a sleep apena. I am light years healthier because of the weight I lost with my band.

My 2 cents. Could it have been the doctor and not the band's fault? About 25-30 years ago a cousin (she died from cancer) had by pass and the doctor f**ked up big time. It was a big Boston hospital, also.

I feel very sorry for your health problems but all mine are gone-thank you Band!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and you have the right to share that with us, but I also hope that those reading this will make a decision that is right for them and not be scared of getting banded because of what happened to you. Every decision we make in life has consequences, and any risk we take may or may not end up how we would like. I chose to roll the dice and every day I am grateful for one more day of feeling healthy and strong and beautiful and less fat.

I hope you are able to find the comfort and resources you need to recover from this tragic experience. =(

well sure am sorry to read your horror story and i am hoping your future is better/happier..

but it has worked for me and gave me my life back...i am forever grateful to the lap band for that...and if in the future, issues happen, i will deal with them but be happy as i will be dealing with it no longer a super morbid obese woman.

How unlucky to be that one of thousands to have trouble. I pray for you. My band has saved my life. I had it placed by a very good surgeon who had done hundreds of procedures and worked in a teaching hospital. They had nutrition classes and informational seminars plus a long list of preop things my GP had to cover before scheduling my LapBand procedure. This prior workup and education on my part almost guaranteed success. This operation requires a dedicated bariatric center's follow-up required by medicare and my insurance company. The follow-up kept me alert and listening to my body. My morning cup of coffee and visit to lap Band Talk starts my day off on a smooth path. . . . keep in touch . . . we want to help . .

Getting the lap band was the worst decision of my life. You should only do it if you have chronic illnesses that you know will kill you -- not because "every obese person gets...."

I have had chronic pain, many many surgeries. Even with lap band removed - likely permanent abdominal wall injury. Couldn't lay down for 4 years. Now I can lay down just on right side.

I had one problem after another in that area, even after the lap-band was removed 6 months after it was put it. I was obese, sleep apnea - but had worked out 7-10 hours per week, had hiked, biked, active sex life. ALL OF THAT IS NOW GONE BECAUSE OF CONSEQUENCES OF LAP-BAND.

I now am on chronic pain meds, trying accomodations to have some type of life. Income dropped dramatically because now can only manage part-time work at best.

I NEVER should have gotten a lap-band. One should only get it when you are at the part that loss of life & income already happening - not just likely to happen,

I understand that you're hurting but your post is neither constructive nor does it appear you are looking for support. I hear your opinion that, "You should only do it if you have chronic illnesses that you know will kill you" and reject it. It sounds like you need serious therapy and I sincerely hope you get it.

The story is a sad one, and it seems that for every positive result and every supportive member of the site just like in life there is always someone who has an opposite opinion, thought or feeling and that is OK.

It's important to know the good the bad and the ugly it helps us all navigate our way to where we want to be, and if we can avoid some pot holes that tripped up others and they mark the road for us, well all I have to say to them is THANK YOU and I hope that you never have to fall again :)

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope and pray that you will eventually heal and will be able to resume your normal life.

The band has caused some horrible complications in many people from what I've read on various message boards over the years and some have permanent damage to their body.

However, everyone does not suffer from horrible complications and the band has saved their lives from other life threatening issues from being obese.

I for one, am very grateful for my lap band, and I've had two, and both have been good to me, there are no perfect weight loss surgeries, things happen sometimes without fault of our own, but those are risks we take when getting any type of elected weight loss surgery.

Is it me or do we have a unusual amount of band bashing on here lately? I have sympathy for anyone who has health problems no matter why.. however, I must say that I have seen quite a few of these very negative statements lately... we all know the risks involved with any weight loss surgery.. I am here to say that the lapband has saved my life and has been the best decision I have ever made.. My health is 100% improved. no doubt about it... so, hopefully everyone will take these posts with a grain of salt and move towards your own goal of becoming healthier and happier.

This website - forum has always been about 75% negative....mostly new people still trying to find their way! and a few with problems....the people who are happy and successful move on with their lives very little info here for them to glean.

When I first joined, it was a whole different group of people, save a few....

This is nothing new.....it is just not a fair picture of everyone out there who has undergone this surgery....

The same is true at my Surgeon's office.....the only people who attend support groups are those needing help...the people who are successful and finished with this journey, and there are MANY......have to be asked to come back to present to the groups...

one must remember, you can "die" from almost anything from eating food (allergy), botched surgeries.. ect......as well as can become incapacitated by numerous happenings, rather they be self inflicted or a luck of the draw. none of us are promised tomorrow....with that said, i would hope that you would have more to say than what's going wrong in your life and blaming it on the band without any evidence to back that up that i can see. Remember you must've been tired of being overweight or you wouldn't have gotten it in the first place. And being in the medical field as long as I have you cannot tell me that you were that active and had severe enough weight issues to cause you to get banded. i'm not sure why you felt the need to write your post. you are the exception...and i'm thankful that I don't and I hope that no one else put's stock in your rant. But i will say that may God bless you with a healing to your body and your mind....

I love my band.. Its made my life worth living.. Simple as that. I had no major health concerns I was just morbidly obese. You need to be objective.

I had a c-section to deliver my twins in 1996. I nearly bled to death due to a mistake. But I would never suggest a woman not have one because of my dreadful experience. I'm sad for you for your poor quality of life but frightening people won't improve things for you. I know knowledge is power but a degree if objectivity is essential. I don't want to offend anyone. Just my opinion

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk