Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Thanks 4 all the tips poodles! I don't really feel hungry. My stomach just gurgles and churns and ROARS! It scared my cat yesterday! The nausea is subsiding somewhat but still present. I have to remember I just had surgery 3 days ago! The pain is a little better too-not intolerable. Thank you all SO MUCH for your support. I haven't told anyone so you guys are it!

An old time remedy for nausea is ginger. I know you can't drink gingerale because of the carbonation. But, you can get some ginger root and let it seep into some hot tea ( a little slice will do you). Tea is a liquid, get Decaf so it doen't dehydrate you. This might help you a bit with the nasuea.

Barbara --as for the Constipation, this is most likely due to the fact they we haven't had in significant amount of Fiber. Fiber swells in the tummy and our docs are trying to prevent any swelling or extension in our stomachs. You might want to try some prune juice. We use this all the time in the hospital for consitpation. The liquid will run right through the stomach into the bowels where you need it. This will count as a liquid. If you think there might be fruit pulp in it then pour it through a strainer first.

As for the rumbles and girgles ....I think it just takes time. I've been walking this week several nights (2 to 3 miles). I didn't think 3 weeks post op I would still have so much gas in me. But during my walks it moves around and is being released after the walks (thank goodness). I am feeling much more energy and decreased swelling and gas in the tummy area. Be patient, it does get better.

Melissa Lea

weight.png

Spivak

06/09/06

Melissa Lee,

Thanks for your reassurance. I too have been walking and getting rid of gas. Good Job on the 2-3 miles. Do you do that in a day or all at once? I am lucky to be able to walk for 15 mins at once, then my abdomen starts hurting. So, I have been walking 2-3 times a day and trying to increase by 2-5 mins each time. I am only 10 days post op and sometimes look 8 mos pregnant. I was hoping it might still be gas and swelling. I am not losing much weight either, that seems weird to me since I may be comsuming 400 calories a day, if that. Constipation has been a concern for me also because pre op I was very regular. But, then I think, what do I have to eliminate? For the past 10 days I've only had liquids.

Does anyone have an exact amount of Water we are supposed to drink each day? I know there is no way I can consume as much as I used to. I drank over 64 oz yesterday of just water. That doesn't include the apple juice or Propel. Is that enough?

Thank you everyone for continuing to post and encouraging us...especially those banded the first part of the month...

Regarding Water. I have read that you need to take your weight and divide it by 2.2 and that is how many ounces of Water you need to drink a day. I would need to drink a gallon of water a day for my weight. I have actually tried it, and feel absolutely wonderful when I can get that much down, but as a teacher that is impractical for me. I can only go potty before school, at lunch, and after school so that is way too much water for me. Now that it is summer time, I have been trying to get in at least 64 ounces of pure water.

There is some debate on water vs. other drinks. My doctor says only WATER counts as WATER no crystal light or other things. If the kidneys have to filter things out of the liquid it does not count. If the WATER washes things out of the kidneys it counts. I can understand that.

As for Constipation, I use the powder Super Colon Cleanse. It works well, and does not taste too bad. Just use a little bit every day though, because it WORKS and quickly.

Hi Janelle --

I am walking that amount at one time. But you must know, I've been walking on/off for years. My goal is to get back to my 15 minute mile and hopefully when I decrease my weight more, start to jog some. You are doing GREAT walking and trying to add more on each day. That is perfect, you are walking 2, 4, 6, 10 minutes more than you did the day before. It takes endurance and right now it's all about healing. 2 weeks post -op, there is no way I could have even walked a half a mile. I was too tight and coudn't even stand up straight :speechles .

As for the Water, I think most often the 2.2 divided into weight are for body builders. I think it's a great goal. I'm just gonna stick to the recommended standard, 64 to 80 ounces a day. Of course when I'm walking, I drink more to replace what I lose through sweat.

Plesase go back and check out our bandster list, one more added for a total of 82 :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: . If you are a June 2006 Bandster and have not been added to the list, please private message me and I will get you updated (new posters always welcome!!).

Melissa Lea:hippie:

weight.png

Spivak

06/09/06

Thanks for all the advice. DH brought home an enemia and within minutes I felt great. Now that is over I don't want to repeat the last few days. I am reducing the cheese and no bananas for a while. I need to increase the Water intake, but finding it hard to do.

I still have some swelling in the stomach area, but for the most part everything is going well. My scars look amazing. I'm also going to start increasing my food intake. I'm not getting in enough food. Did I say that? My calorie count is around 800 dailyand I don't think that's enough.

Everyone keep up the good work. We should take a total count of all the weight that was lost in June and keep a running total. I lost 12 lbs in June.

Regarding Water. I have read that you need to take your weight and divide it by 2.2 and that is how many ounces of Water you need to drink a day.

It's also your weight in kg!

Socalgal,

I worry about the nausea too. I don't want to be queasy for the rest of my life. Did anyone's doc prescribe some phenergan?

My MD prescribed phenergan, I had SEVERE nausea (I couldn't stand up without feeling like I was going to puke) for 5 days after surgery. Then, it went away. I still have about 20 phenergan if it returns, but so far,almost 4 weeks out, no more nausea. I felt a little queasy at times when I was on just liquid, but once I went to real mushies/food, that disappeared. Hope that helps.

I have that nausea feeling also not enough to actually throw up but enough to make you feel horrible. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it.

Call your MD and see if he/she'll prescribe you some phenergan. I had that too, but once I took the phenergan, it made a world of difference. I was nauseated to the point of feeling horrible, but not puking. I dry heaved once and it was EXTREMELY painful. When I called my MD, he said it was important not to vomit because of the stitches, etc. Your MD will probably be happy to prescribe it, you'll feel better,and it will be easier to keep/get down whatever you're currently supposed to be digesting. Hope that helps!

Hey everyone, I am also a Junster. I was banded June 19, 2006 in Topeka, KS.

So far things are going good but I am frequently having problems with the air that was used to do the Laproscopy. It gets in my left shoulder and causes quite a bit of pain. Usually it subsides as long as I lay on my left side for a few minutes. But laying down will soon be hard because I am about to go to work. Perhaps some of you can tell me if you get this and when I might start looking forward to it going away.

Other than that I think I am doing great. I have adjusted to the new diet quite well. I do get Constipation from time to time, but nothing that MOM won't take care of (that is what my doctor suggested). No problems with nausea or indigestion. I'm so happy to have found this supportive sight. It gives me a way to get answers to the questions I may have and have supportive friends that have been through this before.

While I appreciate my date is correct, my name is Randi - with an i.

A fight I've been having my entire life - lol.

Randi with an i - is a girl.

Randy with a y is normally a boy.

While - I'm sure there are both out there, I'm an "i" girl!

I don't feel banded. I've been drinking for the past12 days.

Today - I had an egg, refried Beans - felt nothing... could have had more. Tonite - I had a chicken fajita Soup. No problems. I'm sure when I get my first fill I'll feel something - but for now -I'm thankful not to have had any pain, that my incisions are healing so quick, and that I feel like my normal self. I know I've lost - but I don't know how much - as I don't want to get on a scale till the fill date.

To all the June Banders, YAY!!!! We did it!!!!!!!!!

The port pain is normal. We have a device in there that our body is not used to. It will take more time to heal on that side since we have it stitched in and such. Most people say it will take 3+ weeks. Mine still hurts and I am almost a month out. So that is normal. :love:

I will say that it does get better. I am officially 2 weeks post-op and it is starting to get better. I called my doctor about this pain and he said that it was the nerve endings that were cut coming back to life. Which to me makes sense. Now the funny thing for me is I can feel the port when I bend enough to put on my shoes. I wonder if I am going to always feel that.

Most bandsters say they can feel their port and some activities make them feel it more. I don't know if that hard lump just below my breasts is my port, but it hurts. After my bout with Constipation I am very sore across the stomach. I do hope I haven't done any damage. I guess I'll find out on fill day.

I have absolutely no restriction. I can eat, but I choose not to. I am trying to eat bandster portions so I won't have many surprises after the fill. I increased my Water yesterday and will try again today to increase it more.

It is raining in Houston and will be doing so all week. A good time to get some chores done in the house. I should be at the office today, but will be working from home. I know there won't be many people in and it seems a waste to commute back and forth for nothing.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday. I needed this time to regroup and feel ready to face the world come Wednesday.

I know I just had surgery a few days ago, but after I lost 8lbs pre-op, my scale froze! This morning it moved! Yay! I know I need to concentrate on healing, but it is a little discouraging to have no movement on the scale when you aren't even eating! Anyway, wanted to share.....

Socal, I think the reason some of us don't lose much weight right after surgery is from the swelling and retaining of Water. I have only lost 7 #'s and I am following the diet quite closely (well, I did have a serving of potato Soup yesterday). I even bought low carb yougurt. So, I think when we start on reg food and our bodies don't think we are starving them anymore, the weight will start coming off. Don't get discouraged!