Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

You need to sip so things can go thru smoothly. First thing, you will have alot of swelling. Then as things settle down you will crave/want more. The first week, I honestly could not do more than sip. Guess they want you to take it easy, so you don't throw up a bunch of water/jello/whatever. I have also read that it is like a funnel, and you don't want to over fill the funnel. Drink 4 oz, wait 10 minutes, drink 4 oz more. Then see how you feel.

At a month out I can drink 16 oz no problem, but I still try not to gulp. I drink it ice cold, and can FEEL it pool on top of my band and flow thru. Creepy but neat.

I have asked if you can stretch your pouch on liquids and mushies, and have been told it is highly unlikely.

Put myself back on liquids/mushies today after my first PB. Feeling better tonight. :confused:

O.K. I've got my first fill appointment. It's not until August 1st. Seems like eternity, even though I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out from banding. Just being impatient I guess. I do believe what ever restriction I had from surgery is GONE! I'm not grazing :confused:, but I'm eating "regular" size portions of food. I know this waiting for a fill is about healing from the surgery and not loosing weight. Again, I'm impatient, just want it (restriction!)to get here.

Terry :)

Okay, I'm eating everything in sight. My restriction is way less then it was a few days ago. I ate 5 STRING CHEESES TODAY!

I wish we could all explain things, and all understand things. Each thing I read is different from me, and I find myself more confused each day. I thought it would be hard to drink - but my Protein Shake, v-8, Water, diet snapple all goes down with no problem. Soups are no problem. eggs were no problem. Refried Beans, no problem. I think it's because I haven't had a fill? After reading about PB's, sliming, pain, etc - I've been scared the entire time. But so far, I'm pain free - and wondering how this all works!

I'm not hungry, but that doesn't stop me from thinking about food. I'm not full, but I'm not empty. My stomach makes noises, and I keep hoping that's the sound of "hungry".

It's all confusing, and I wish we could all explain/understand - but I think it's one day at a time? One moment at a time? and it will be different for you than it's been for me?

Randi, I really relate to what you feel. I've had no problem at all with anything going down, I could drink my full protien shake in the morning right after surgery without any issues. I didn't bother with little sips, because I could feel (anything really cold Fluid wise I can feel going all the way down) that it was just sliding right the way down into my lower stomach. I'm on soft foods now, and eggs, poached salmon, yams, well chewed soft veggies, etc, everything I've tried all along this journey has gone through no problem at all. I know I have the large VG band, which is 10cc's and that it has no fill in it, so without swelling from the surgery I shouldn't have restriction. I'm not really a 'sweller' with injuries and such, and so it seems predictable that I should be wide open. I also haven't been hungry at all, not sure why, but super happy about that. I've been tracking my intake, and I average 1200 calories a day, some days as little as 600 cals, other days around 1300. Most days right around 1200. I don't really get full, but I don't feel physically empty or hungry, well occasionally hungry but only when I haven't eaten for quite some time. I can feel my 'head hunger' slowly starting to creep up on me in the evenings, which has always been my danger time for over eating. I still debate with myself daily on whether I should try to go get a fill at my 6 week anniversary... or if I'm still losing and still not really feeling hunger, still keeping in a good calorie range, if I should just postpone it until I really need it. I know myself, and know that without band restriction, if my head hunger takes over, I can pack on the weight pretty fast. I just don't want to end up with over-fill either and the nightmares of PB's, sliming, and pain. So far so good, so right now I am still just taking it one day/moment at a time.

XO

Leila

I was banded 6/27/06 went back to my doctor yesterday for just a checkup after the surgery. I have lost 21 lbs since June 15 (thats when my pre-op diet started). Told me to keep up what I have been doing that I was doing great. I am still very hungry, still on just Clear Liquids, won't be able to start full liquids until next week. Has anyone started full solids or soft foods earlier than their doc said to?

good morning ya'll!!

just got off work and i'm starving!! i can't wait until monday morning..9:15 am...first fill!! i don't know how i managed to lose 16 lbs. i can get most anything down with no problem. i know that will change though eventually. i can't eat white meat chxn unless it's really moist. i find dark meat goes down alot easier. well, i hope everyone is doing ok. chat with you later!!!

cutiern:p

Good morning everyone!

I can relate about the appetite. Mine is starting to pick up some. I'm using every ounce of willpower I have to control myself. I've had no problems with any food going down. I agree with cutieRN --the dark meat chicken goes down much better than the white.

I've been stuck at 15 pound weight loss for 1.5 weeks. I'm not complaining. But it was sure nice to see the numbers going down so fast. I have my fill next week. I'm looking for some restriction (fingers crossed). I have a smaller band, maximum 4cc fills.

I'm so happy that I have you all to talk to, complain to, vent to, you name it :confused:

Melissa Lea

I too can eat anything. I haven't ventured too far, but I know I can have wheat crackers w/peanut butter, pretzels, eggs, and cheese enchilladas. I am still too scared to get too off course, but I am hungry. Not so much in the morning. Its like I'm hungry, but I don't want to eat. As the day goes on I get more hungry. I have a 10 band, but not sure if its the Vanguard. Will ask at my first fill. I have no restriction.

I started taking the Activia that's supposed to make you regular. So far that is working. The benefiber tablets were not and causing some problems. So far this seems to be doing the trick and I'll just add the extra 100 calories into the meal plan.< /p>

I still have some hardness above the large scar and some residual pain on the right side. I've had this from the time I woke up from surgery. Its more an anoyance than anything. I still can't be sure I've found the port so real anxious to see what happens at the fill. I sure hope it isn't flipped or floating somewhere in my body. :confused:

Hope everyone is doing well. I now believe that at the first chance of a fill you should take it. It doesn't get the program started without it and this hunger has got to stop!

Another full blown PB attack. Well Hell. I had another one. This time on ground turkey. First thing I ate this morning. I think I am too tight in the AM, because in the evening I am fine. Guess I am on mushies/liquids again today.

Even though liquids and mushies go down easily at least they are "safe". I really don't think I need a fill now. Just need to figure out what solid foods I can eat.

Take it easy guys/gals. Don't rush to solids too fast. They fight back!

Hey, I have been searching around and it seems that I have first bite syndrome. You guys may want to search for that too if you notice PBing first thing... just an FYI

Poodles,

From what I've read most are tight in the morning. In fact, my doctor says to drink Protein Drink in morning and regular meals the rest of the time. Maybe you should try something warm, coffee, tea, broth at the beginning of meal to "open" yourself up. Yes, liquids and mushies the rest of the day. No need to compound the problem with solid food once you've PBd.

Hope this settles down for you and you stop PBing.