Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i am scared. i think am a failure and would never make it.

hi everyone,

this is my first day on this forum. i am about the get banded on the 9th of october 2013. my present weight is 130kg or 288lbs and its my heaviest.

actually my fear is that i have compulsory eating habit. its like a monster that has decided to take me down, no matter how i try to eat sensibly or diet properly, i will always end up over eating even more than i used to.

yes i know i have the binge eating disorder but i dont know how to fight it. and my worst fear is that i might not meet up with the pre-op diet am requested to do before gastric band surgery. guys i have two little lovely children and i want to hang in there for them. i want to be fit and be around to see my babies children in future. i want to defeat this monster once and for all and i really need help and support from you guys.

please any helpfull comments of how to fight the urge of binging and how the lapband helps with compulsory eating habit would really help. another thing is am in uk and am been banded in belgium, please do you guys know the best after care package company i can get. i have read that some after care companys are really not helpfull so i just want the best.

thanks all.

newgemma2014

Good luck , you will do great don't allow fear to win I started this journey 7 months ago and I came to realize having the surgery doesn't stop you from eating, you are going to have to trust yourself and get in a good support group, and work closely with your nutritionist, and get to the root cause of your eating, sometime people are emotional eaters, or just eat because they are bored, what ever your reason for eating you will have to learn to conquer it, this has not been an easy journey for me due to I am learning to deal with the head hunger, but we are all different, and im sure you will do great, go in with an open mind and know you CAN do ALL things through Christ which strengthens you .

Hi Gemma. Alot of this is psychological. You have to be able to deal with the head hunger along with the physical hunger. I would truly suggest you work with a therapist to help you deal with your binge eating. Between the psychological help and the physical help that the band provides, you can likely do well. I have been very successful...more successful than anyone imagined including the lapband surgeon and my primary care physician ever expected. In fact, I was at my PCP today and she told me that there isn't one patient of her's who has been able to lose as much weight as I have. She asked me what I'm doing that no one else seems to be able to do. I told her that I'm not starving anymore. And because my hunger is not out of control, I can make good decisions. Good luck, don't expect to fail and do what you need to in order to succeed.

i wish to say thank you to ladyjordan and gowalking. you guys have made my day. as ladyjordan pointed out, the lapband wont help you to stop eating , and i really need to get that into my head. i also wish to congratulate gowalking on her achievement, i really wish am you right now and be able to control my eating habit. i will really put this situation into Gods hands and also try my best to do my best because i know that if this doesnt work then nothing else will work. i just have to start today and not tomorrow. thanks for all the inspirational talks, will give update on my wls journey tomorrow.

I'm not going to lie to ya, the pre op diet was horrible on me, I thought I was going to die, but as you see 15 mos post op I'm still here and 73 lbs lighter. Those 2 weeks pre op are hard on all liquids or at least for me it was but we all get thru it, just keep in mind why you are doing this. You can do this. We are here for you! As for binge eating, well I had one yesterday, it was like I couldn't get enough or well how do I say this, I just kept eating and eating the wrong foods, it was just an off day for me. I ate 5 Cookies and cheese and 3 meals and candy, yes I ate all that. It didn't affect the scale this morning but I didn't lose either. Guess it was something I had to get out of my system. We all have our off days but keep in mind this is a tool to help us no overeat so this keeps me in track.

Good luck

Donna

hi everyone' date='

this is my first day on this forum. i am about the get banded on the 9th of october 2013. my present weight is 130kg or 288lbs and its my heaviest.

actually my fear is that i have compulsory eating habit. its like a monster that has decided to take me down, no matter how i try to eat sensibly or diet properly, i will always end up over eating even more than i used to.

yes i know i have the binge eating disorder but i dont know how to fight it. and my worst fear is that i might not meet up with the pre-op diet am requested to do before gastric band surgery. guys i have two little lovely children and i want to hang in there for them. i want to be fit and be around to see my babies children in future. i want to defeat this monster once and for all and i really need help and support from you guys.

please any helpfull comments of how to fight the urge of binging and how the lapband helps with compulsory eating habit would really help. another thing is am in uk and am been banded in belgium, please do you guys know the best after care package company i can get. i have read that some after care companys are really not helpfull so i just want the best.

thanks all.

newgemma2014[/quote']

Hang in there I used to be exactly where you are now with the same fears. I am also a compulsive eater and the band saved my life! I was on my way to 300 lbs. I was also afraid of the pre-op diet and failing, I focused on not wanting to be rejected for surgery for not following the pre-op diet, my life literally depended on me completing the pre-op diet, when the hunger hits or your itching for something to eat find something to distract you talk yourself through your cravings. Good luck

Good luck ' date=' you will do great don't allow fear to win I started this journey 7 months ago and I came to realize having the surgery doesn't stop you from eating, you are going to have to trust yourself and get in a good support group, and work closely with your nutritionist, and get to the root cause of your eating, sometime people are emotional eaters, or just eat because they are bored, what ever your reason for eating you will have to learn to conquer it, this has not been an easy journey for me due to I am learning to deal with the head hunger, but we are all different, and im sure you will do great, go in with an open mind and know you CAN do ALL things through Christ which strengthens you .[/quote']

Lady Jordan I love this post, this was very well said

Yes, keep us posted Gemma. Soon enough, you will be one of the success stories on this forum and helping to support other newbies as many of us are trying to do. We've all been there and can relate to the doubts, fears, and uncertainty..

I was just banded a few days ago and I totally understand your fears. The way I look at it is that the band helps with the physical part of losing weight but not the emaotional part. I am looking for a therapist to help with the emotional part and find out why I eat and how to better manage those feeling.

I firmly believe that everyone has their own demons to deal with. Unfortunately, if you are overweight it is something everyone can see.

Think positive and you are going to do great!!!

Hang in there I used to be exactly where you are now with the same fears. I am also a compulsive eater and the band saved my life! I was on my way to 300 lbs. I was also afraid of the pre-op diet and failing' date=' I focused on not wanting to be rejected for surgery for not following the pre-op diet, my life literally depended on me completing the pre-op diet, when the hunger hits or your itching for something to eat find something to distract you talk yourself through your cravings. Good luck[/quote']

I will have my done on august 24th . I m very scared too but I have good friends

and a awsome family. Support is very helpful. You vBulletin can do it , so can I . ;-)

one thing I have come to realize is this thing is real, I was 300lbs before surgery im down to 233 ive lost 67lbs in 7 months and it hasn't been easy, I have bad days and good days like others I still over eat sometimes, but then I look in the mirror and tell myself girl you have come too far to mess up now, then I get a grip and get my butt back in gear, when I get angry first thing I want to do is EAT but I had to change that behavior and ask myself why did I have the surgery if I am still going to eat the same way and the same foods, this journey takes a lot of commitment and sacrifice, I sometimes get angry with the head hunger just not knowing am I really hungry or not, im just being real, I thought I was going to have the surgery and be high school fine again, whelp it didn't happened like that, I found out I have to exercise, eat correctly, and do a lot of praying, no I wouldn't take it back if I could but I sure wish I really knew what to expect before the surgery, Good luck on all of your journey we are all in this together everyday hasn't been sunshine but everyday hasn't been stormy either, may God bless us all and give us courage to win this battle....sorry im just being me :wub:

First and foremost you have got to stop saying you are going to fail. Failure only occurs when you let it. If you go into this surgery thinking that you are going to fail then your right you probably will. Your success of your band is only what you (not any of us) make it. You can choose to do the right thing or the wrong thing but in the end whatever you decide is your outcome. We all know what we have/had to do in order to be successful and thinking you wont be should not even be a thought in your mind. The greatest achiever's at anything did not win by thinking that they would fail, not win, not finish.

Fear of failure was in all of us. Too many diets that didn't work and now you have a chance to succeed, and it seems so unrealistic considering your history? All of us have btdt. You're not alone.

But now is the time to get your head in the game. Learn, read, understand the new habits you will have to take on, and know it is in you to succeed if you want it. As carolinagirl so succinctly puts it, it's ALL about want power.

There are so many success stories on this board, and that is because, if you're willing to work with your band, it will work for you. So start now to resolve to being a success, to do the things you need to do to succeed. It's all you need to do - make the decision.

wow!! i cant believe the much love you guys are giving me, i really feel pampered thank you so much. now i know i have people that would back me up with the band journey. my family is not in support of the lapband idea but i believe that this is my last chance of being happy and healthy and being there for my two young ones.

i lost 3lbs in 2days making it down to 285lbs. i just hope i will continue to keep the lbs coming off. i am so grateful to everyone of you, and i promise i will be a success story in the next 6 months to come.

i will keep you posted on how am doing.

thanks again for all your advice and support!!

you will do great sis, we are all in this together, I love this site because even if family and friends don't support you, you have people here that has and that are walking a mile in your shoes, we all struggle the same and we may fall down but we are here to encourage and help each other to get back up, take care sis and yes I will be following your journey :)