Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie, recently de-banded

Hi everybody. I'm new to the website so I thought I'd say hi to introduce myself.

I was banded in January 2004 and had a lot of success. I lost 65 pounds in the first year. Then, last year I came down with aseptic meningitis and was VERY ill for months. Not only did I get meningitis, but I also came down with pneumonia and several other bacterial infections at the same time too. I was completely bed-ridden for three months (due to dizziness, vertigo and weakness).

My doctors were concerned that I wasn't eating enough and had me increase my calories using juice and other high calorie, easy to eat foods. My weight started creeping back on during this time. No surprise - I was eating more and not working out AT ALL (I used to work out 4-5 hours a week).

Anyway, long story short, I've continued to suffer from weird symptoms over the past year. I get bad headaches, dizziness, vertigo, weakness and persistent fevers. It seems I might be having recurrent meningitis, and my doctors don't know why.

I saw a rheumatologist who said that my symptoms seemed similar to an autoimmune disease, but that I didn't have an autoimmune disease (not enough evidence - mostly normal blood work). She said some autoimmune diseases can cause meningitis (like lupus), but she said there was no evidence of lupus in me.

She said that my symptoms seemed more like a foreign body reaction. I told her I had a LapBand, and she was concerned. She was worried that I might be having a weird reaction to the band.

I spoke with my surgeon who said there has only been one case of a person having an allergic reaction to the band, but the patient presented with very different symptoms (she had a weird rash). My one worry is that I have a lot of allergies, including allergies to metal. I was assured at banding that titanium is not reactive in humans, but I've heard conflicting reports since. I'm even allergic to stainless steel (I can't wear stainless steel earrings). I recently found out that in addition to the titanium in the band, the band also contains stainless steel in the form of a connector in the port tubing. Could I be allergic to the band? And could this be causing my meningitis?

Despite my surgeon's doubts, she felt the band should come out just in case. So I ended having the band removed last Tuesday (May 9th). It's too early to tell if this is the cause of my symptoms. I really hope this helps - but who knows.

I'm freaking out now though, over the past year I've gained back all of my weight plus 5 (I'm up 70 pounds). I feel pretty empowered though. I was able to gain and lose all of this weight WITH the band. It really shows me that it was all of my hard work that made me lose weight, and not just the band. I know when I get better, I'll be able to lose the weight again. I'm just not that worried right now - my health is my current concern.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of people having a foreign body reaction to the band or similar complications. I know the manufacturers warn of this in their brochures, but I'm pretty sure this is to cover their @$$#$. I'm feeling pretty alone (if there is only one other person with this complication). I'd love to hear from some of you that have had band complications and removal and who have decided not to have further WLS.

:)

JennyJ

298/302/175

banded 1/04

298 - 1/2004

230 - 3/2005

band removed 5/06

302 - 5/2006

JennyJ: Sorry for your health issues. It can be hard enough to deal with just our weight related issues but when they are compounded by other things on top of that then it can become overwhelming. I will keep you in my prayers.

I had my band removed Dec 2005 for Erosion. I had my band for 18 months and managed to lose 60 to 70 lbs. I have since gained back 20 of those. I have considered having another band placed and other WLS as well. I just don't know if I want to go down that road right now. I go see my Band Doctor in July and those are things we will discuss. I can't even begin to face another surgery unless my insurance will cover it. AT this point I don't think they will and I don't know if I have enough fight in me for an insurance battle. Only time will tell.

I hope you find the answers to your body reactions. Keep us posted.

I had my band removed in March of this year. I have gained 3-5 lbs, depending on the day. I did not seek other weight loss surgeries, my band had actually slipped and I chose to have it taken out. It was too much drama for me. Too tight, too loose, pbing, not able to eat Proteins, living on "soft" foods. LaMadam, another member here, had her band removed and has maintained her weight. It is possible and we can do it!! Good Luck to You!

I also lost my band due to erosion around my 18th month. Something tells me you're going to start feeling better soon. There still aren't enough long-term studies for any doctor to know 100% of potential band complications, and I don't believe the band is for everybody. One of my many surgeons diagnosed me with "band rejection." Even though he isn't the most admired man around here, he has been doing bands for over a decade, so who knows? Maybe band rejection or allergic reactions really are potential complications?

Good luck, and I hope you start feeling better soon.

It's really weird. I'm only 2 weeks post band removal, and I'm already starting to feel better. I haven't had ANY fevers or headaches in the past two weeks - which I have suffered from chronically over the past year! Maybe my doctors were right after all and I was having some weird immune rejection/reaction to the band. I haven't had this much energy in the past year. It's amazing!

Now that I'm starting to feel better, I'm actually starting to think about how to lose the pounds I've gained back (before I was feeling to crappy to care). I've even been thinking about exercising again (although I have to hold off for another 4 weeks - when I have the go-ahead from my surgeon).

Yeah - there is life after LapBand! I know I have a long road of hard work ahead of me, but anything is better than the past year I've had being super ill! I'm actually looking forward to the work!

:hippie:

...I have found that corn Syrup or corn solids act on my system like kerosine on a smoldering ember....

And high fructose corn syrup...the devil incarnate, honest!!

Jenny,

I hope you soon discover that your problems have resolved. Life is too short to spend it in misery!!

Good luck,

Sue

Even Jack's Devil has the squint-eyed-AAARRR! going on! LOL

JennyJ, I'm sorry you're having such a tough row to hoe. You've got a good attitude though and I'm sure you'll be successful.

Welcome to LBT and good luck with your weight loss journey. Keep in touch so we'll know how you're doing.

Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear how sick you were. That is alarming.

I did read on either this site or obesityhelp of someone else who thought she was allergic to the band. Her blood pressure and white blood count was going up, she was dizzy and was having respitory problems.

My biggest fear, even more than erosion damaging my innards is exactly what your describing. Allergy to the band. Because like you, I'm sensitive and allergic.

I'm glad your feeling better, please keep us updated and stick around. because someone might come along that needs to hear your story.

This is so scary, I am just one week post op and found this website. Now I am scared what my future will bring. I am almost sorry I found it. I was so positive before now I am scared.

DonnaGT,

Don't be scared and PLEASE PLEASE don't regret that you had the surgery! You just took a HUGE step to get healthy :clap2: and to take control of your life and live happily w/out health problems, self-esteem issues, etc. Yes, there will be a tiny % of people that do develop problems with the band but you will find that with any WLS. No surgery will work for EVERY PERSON. The band is by far the least invasive and you have a much better chance of remaining complication-free from this than the bypass. If you do have a problem down the road, oftentimes it is fixable. Please take this time to heal and remain positive. You are on your way to a happier, thinner you! :biggrin1:

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241 highest/237 surgery/205/150

5'7''

DonnaGT - don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine! This complication I'm having is SO rare, there is only one other example of a person having a LapBand allergy (that's like two cases out of how many?!). I was probably not a good candidate for an implant of any kind - I have a ton of allergies (which my doctors told me wouldn't be an issue but are now saying it is an issue - go figure!). Anyway, please don't get scared from my story or any stories on this site. Remember, people who are doing super great with the band don't usually post on websites like these - it's usually the ones that have had complications. So don't get the idea that EVERYBODY has complications - it's really a small percentage. There have been tons of people who have done awesome with the band. You've made a great step forward in improving your health! Good luck to you!!! :love:

Jenny, Just wanted to say so sorry about all you've had to go through but I wish you improved health - i hope you are feeling better every day. It does seem strange your symptoms are disappearing after band removal and it makes perfect sense to me that you may have had allergic reactions to it - it is a foreign body! Thank you for sharing your story - did you have an inamed band - i'm wondering if they are interested/following your experience as it may help others down the road. You have such a positive attitude and i wish you continued success and good health - keep us posted.b

Hi marys. Thanks so much - I am feeling much better now that I've been de-banded. I haven't had a fever since having the band removed. I still get a little dizziness and vertigo from time to time - but it is GREATLY improved and getting better every day. My doctors say it can take years for the vestibular system (the balance system) to get back to normal, so it's not surprizing that I'm still a little dizzy.

To answer your question - yes, I have the Inamed LapBand. My surgeon wants to see me again in a few months to see if I'm still feeling better - and to see if my blood work supports my improvement. At that point (if all is well) she said she would write it up and submit my case to the FDA and possibly a medical journal article to let other doctors know of my complication. I must stress that my case is EXTREMELY rare. So far there has only been one case of an allergic reaction to the LapBand - my case would be number two.

So I'm six weeks band removal post-op. I've finally been given the go-ahead for exercising. Yeah! I really miss it! Besides, I've been so inactive for the past year or so, that I really need to get my butt moving to try to shed these extra pounds! The weight loss is going slow (I guess that's good in the long run anyway - right?), but I've managed to lose 12 pounds in the past 6 weeks! I'm using Weight Watchers this time around, and I think it's something I can stick with for life.

I'll keep everyone posted on my recovery. And I'll let you know if my doctors end up sumbitting my case to the FDA.

Hey Jenny, thanks for keeping us posted.

wow! -12 pounds in 6 weeks from W/W? Thats awesome! really.

Maybe you answered this on your original post, but how long after you were banded did you become sick?

Good luck to a complete healing and recovery!

God bless.