Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful Band Stories here!

We'll see if I'm a long-term success, I'm only 2.5 months out, but I'm down 65 lbs (according to wacky home scale), from 382 to 317.

(Ok, editing after I typed all that... this ended up as more of a NSV list, but I intend for it to show my "successes")

I've gone from a VERY tight 32/34 in jeans to a comfortable 26.

I was to the point that only some of my 30/32 shirts still fit, and when I went shopping last weekend several of the 22/24 shirts fit just fine.

When I see myself in the mirror, I no longer think that I have the profile of a rubber duck.

My "floatie" back fat roll (nice visual! I call it that because it goes right where a floatation device would go) pre-op would touch in the back... in other words the roll started on the sides and went all the way around and no matter how tall I tried to stand, the sides always came together at the small of my back. Now when I stand, there's a good 7 - 8 inches of just plain old back!

Without pushing my shoulders forward I can see/feel my collarbones. Pre-op no matter how far I pushed my shoulders forward I couldn't find the pesky things.

I have two pair of 28 pants that I had to retire in Dec. They had gotten so tight that I was afraid sitting in them would rip the seams out, literally, and the last couple of times I squeezed into them I couldn't close the button, and only half the zipper, b/c it was so uncomfortable. I put those same pants on today, fresh out of the dryer (I would normally never dryer my clothes, they might shrink!), hooked the wasitband with my finger, and pulled it out a good 5" before the material started getting taut. If my hips weren't so darned big still, they'd be falling off.

I lost a lot of weight on Atkins 2 years ago and bought a TON of new clothes. Of course, most of that weight came back on pre-banding. I'm now wearing most of those clothes again. Some are still snug, but I know that in the next 20 or so lbs they will fit just fine.

Because of the point above, I've been able to take on the "turned back time" mentality. When I lost the weight two years ago, I had turned the clock back about 6 years. Then I pushed it forward about 5.5 years, and now I've turned it back another 2.

Bumping Successful Band Stories don't want it to get lost too many good stories here!:)

Plunder, thanks for bumping this thread. I had meant to post in it when I first saw it but completely forgot.

I absolutely LOVE my band!! My surgery date was September 16, 2005 and I am now 8 months out and 75/76 pounds lighter (depending upon the day or time of day). I started at 274 on this journey and am now at 198/199. My goal is 160 so I'm 38/39 pounds from reaching it.

Had it not been for this band, I would have been heavy for the rest of my life. Granted, I wasn't unhappy at the higher weight but I knew that it wasn't healthy and I wanted to live longer so that I could spend more time with my wonderful husband and my future child. I was lucky that I didn't have any other health problems but I certainly didn't want to develop diabetes or high blood pressure due to being so heavy.

Have I said yet that I LOVE my band?? :)

I am 11 months post op - I love my band! My band is my best friend now and will always be!!! I am down 84.4 pounds as of today. I feel great - I can play w/ my son and keep up w/ my hubby now. I was barely in a 26/28 anymore now I am in an 18/20. The last time I was in that size was in when I was in high school. I started this journey @ 316.8...today 232.4!! Wow I love that number..and I love to see it go down day by day.

The band changed my life for the better!!!!

banded 8-13-03

starting weight 350 30/32 jeans

current weight 225 16 jeans

personnal goal- 190 i have lost 125 OR 78% of my excess weight

dr's goal- 170 69% of the way there

i have not reached my personnal goal but on all accounts i would consider my surgery a success.

i have not had restriction for well over 1/2 my banded life.

the first 6 months i had problems with my port/tubing no restriction i lost 35.

by month 8 i got my first fill that gave me true bandster restriction i was -50.

at 1 yr i was -100.

month 16 (lowest was -143) i got a small fill that led to me being unfilled for an entire year (had series of too tight fills & ER unfills) i gained quite a bit in the year

Month 28 i start to get refills slowly and losing what i had gained

now month 30 i am at 78% lost. still trying to lose what i gained back and get closer to my goal!

i have gone from a hurtin feet and back, depressed and in a unhealthy relationship, couldnt do anything physical without fear of heart exploding, bustin out of my food stained clothes, hopeless girl (26 yrs)

to a...painfree, cute clothes wearing, happy (for so many reasons), in a healthy realtionship (!), confident, healthy (in NORMAL range for all bloodwork) , active (can ride 10 miles on a bike, hike 10 miles, or do an hour on the eliptical) late 20's girl(....ok REALLY late 20's!)

i am looking forward to my 3 yr bandiversary THIS AUGUST....

i cant say my weights 'gone for good' because i am a food addict and without restriction i flounder. i do think i am better prepared for going without restriction in the future. but i hope i dont have to go 'there' till i get prego!

great thread, fun reading and replying too!

Oh those NSV's are even more important than the scale victories I think. Really, who cares what you weigh, its all about how you feel.

I can remember a time when I cried myself to sleep over my weight!! My husband just kept hugging me and telling me he loved me no matter what I FELT!!!! He married me around 270lbs or so....I jumped up to 335 by the day of my surgery!! I guess married life was good to me!!? I LOVE being married! ANyway.....I got my band 3/20/06....the day my life began again!!! I am down 44lbs in 7wks ....I am exercising....I am dropping clothes sizes and have went from 26/28 to 22 I believe?! Haven't looked alot and still wearing my hanging clothes!! I love the way my husband looks at me and tells me there's even less of me to love even more!! :) I am enjoying my life again.....I am looking forward to even MORE loss and excited!! Can hardly wait to post pictures and here the oooh's and ahhhh's! :)

God Bless,

Melody

Bnaded 3/20/06 -44lbs :)

Your stories are very inspiring, thank you so much for sharing.

I'm not banded and am struggling to make a decision, but I am leaning towards getting the band some day. I am trying to lose weight without the band and it's very difficult. My biggest issue with the band is fear of complications, infections, erosion etc. Seeing positive stories reminds me that it is not all bad. I'm glad this thread was started!

Thank you!! :)

Well said Magsi!

Nothing like a positive attittude to help you along in the journey of life!

Congrats all you fabulous LOSERS!

The most I've EVER lost on my own was 20 pounds. That was about 15 years ago. I gained much more after that...I would NEVER have lost this amount of weight, on my own. Call it willpower or whatever, I just didn't have it. What I did have was a sickness in my heart and head, that told me that I had to do something or my life was going to be the same or get worse. I was tired....

Today I am less 75 pounds and still working on the "rest." I am a success, even if I don't lose another pound.

Shawn

I have only lost 19 pounds and have quite a few left to go but this has been my journey the last 6 weeks post op:

- I can sit in an airplane seat without asking for a seat belt extender!

- I had my period after not having it for 7 months!

-My size 24's are loose, my bra size went down, my shirts are now a 2x versus 3x

-I can lay in bed without seperating my chin from my chest with a bed sheet

-I can stand on my feet longer without the tingling and pain

-I take half the dosage of metformin (blood sugar medicine)

-I can wipe myself better

-I can get up off the couch and bed easier

With all these improvements with just a 19 pound weight loss, I cant wait to add more after losing another 19 pounds! I have hope and thats something I didnt have before. I feel so good I want to cry!!!!!