Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking when eating...

So I know this is something that your not suppose to do with the band but I just cannot get out of the habit. I have had my band since Dec.18th and so far have lost 83lbs I am wondering if I stop drinking while I eat will it increase my weight loss?

I don't know that it will increase your weight loss. I guess it could allow you to remain fuller longer, but 83lbs in 9 months is an amazing loss!!!

I too have this issue. Won't increase weight loss, but you will remain fuller longer as the liquid will not wash out the food from the pouch.

liquid just pushes it on through quicker (as my ole man told me once when i asked why he took a drink after each bite.....to make room for more).....boom

do what works for you as you are losing and that is all that matters........great job

Momma always said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

You're doing well, don't sweat it. If you're staying full long enough - which from the sounds of your progress you are, then I wouldn't change a thing.

Good job!!!

I was also told that it can stretch your pouch, as the fluids can sit above the food!?

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT!!!!!

I also BATTLE trying not to drink while eating. It is just a lifelong habit that appears to be extremely hard for me to break.

Your wt loss is awesome...congrats! I was banded 8 wks ago down: 47 lbs from heaviest & 35 lbs from surgery; just had my 2nd fill and feel zero restriction from my band. I have to exercise 1 hr/day on the treadmill and measure 1/2cup servings for all my food....YES, I'm still hungry after 1/2 cup but scared to stretch out my band, and even more sick and tired of being fat so I just tell myself "no more food, kitchen closed"!

I am also curious if I could kick this drinking while eating habit if my weight loss would be more successful!

If I drink while eating it does not push the. food through, nor does it make me fuller....it overfills the volume in the puch and comes right back up and out....so I cannot do it....unless I want an embarrassing mess on my hands.

I

It's like pouring Water into a funnel when there is something more solid there slowing down the passage, it overflows.....

If you can drink with no problem while eating, then it's a question of how much restriction you have.

As far as filer longer....I feel like I just finished a large meal 24 hrs a day....and if I feel like I just ate, then I feel like I do not need to eat anything more..therefore I have no interest in food, or eating.....

Has nothing to do with drinking....it's there all the time, because my band is there all the time.

And it's really more Neal than anything....the band telling my brain I am satisfied, even though I ave not eaten. Perhaps all day....

I have an 11cc band: 1st fill= 3cc (3 wks post-op) just had my 2nd fill= 1.5cc (3 days ago); (total 4.5cc in band) and I have ZERO restriction!

Really like the funnel analogy... it really means I need to get this drinking while eating under control.

Yes the volume issue is more important than the pushing food/satiation argument. You could be unknowingly stretching your pouch with each meal because although your food may be limited, you just overdid it with the volume of the fluids you are drinking.

I know it can be a challenge, but trust me, it becomes 2nd nature once you implement the habit

I know this new habit of eating without drinking is pretty hard. I just really started to follow this rule because I noticed that I could eat more as the Fluid helped the food to flush down. Now I dont even get a drink when I eat...just so I am not tempted. If I am eating out, I dont order a drink at all, unless I know I will be there for a while... like a social function or something. At home, I time myself and get myself a drink after 30 minutes have passed. Good luck!

Yeah. The drinking with eating isn't about weight loss it's about not dilating your pouch. Keep doing it and you risk damaging your pouch and even your band. I can't tell you how many people I know who have done this and regretted it. I'm not trying to be a doomsayer but it's not a matter of if you hurt yourself as much as when. There are many things that doctors disagree on such as carbonation but drinking with meals is universal and not allowed for good reasons.