Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm happy to have found this website. I'm scheduled for surgery on 9/19 and am really starting to worry whether this is a good decision for me. I don't personally know anybody who's done it and have no one to talk to. I've tried several diets and workout routines over the years, and while I'm always fairly successful, I can never maintain the weight loss long term. Let's face it, I can only eat chicken breast, cottage cheese, and salad for so many months before I start to gag on my dinner. As soon as I go back to "normal" foods, the weight comes back. This was the reason that I looked into lap band surgery. I'm hoping that this way I will not be limited to fish and broccoli but can still eat the foods I enjoy, just in smaller amounts and not feel hungry. Of course, I know that I cannot spend my days eating Cookies and ice cream, but realistically, I know that I won't give up breads, pastas and rice forever. Am I just kidding myself? Is this procedure going to be a complete failure for me? I don't have much time to make the final decision and don't want to go through surgery if I'm completely misunderstanding how this will work for me.

Its been 2.5 months since I had surgery. I have lost 40 pounds. I still eat everything I ate before surgery but just a lot less. For example before surgery I could eat 2 eggs with cheese, a whole bowl of grits, and 2 large diced potatoes and maybe even some french toast. Now I eat 2 egg whites and 1/2 bowl of grits.

I make sure my Indulgences far and few in between but I have had Reeses, birthday cake, Cookies, fried food ect. I just dont do it everyday.

I still eat Pasta and bread - I only eat whole wheat now but I was doing that before surgery anyways.

I also dont count calories but I am calorie conscious. For example I just got home from eating Sticky Finger's Ribs & BBQ. Well I found out 6 wings was 800 calories and catfish was only 200 calories, so I went with the catfish and some corn. I dont feel deprived in anyway I just enjoy much less (I only ate 1 catfish filet and a couple bites of corn, the rest went to my boyfriend whereas before I would have eaten all of that plus and appetizer and dessert)

And I havent exercised much, teaching is my exercise and running around my room to keep paint and glue off the floor :)

Like you said as long as you are okay with with not eating crappy food (meaning quality) everyday or even every other day I think it might be something you could be successful at.

Now some people will swear up and down on not eating carbs and doing cardio everyday and not cheating with any sweets and AWESOME for them - they are losing faster than me but for me this is what I do and will keep doing until its not working anymore :)

I don't think you're kidding yourself at all.

I personally feel life with the band is about moderation, not deprivation. Like the poster above me, I still eat carbs (pasta, bread, rice, etc) regularly I just make sure the ones I eat are healthy (whole grain or whole wheat). I still enjoy treats occasionally too- but the key is occasionally. When I do have Cookies I have two rather than the whole box I used to eat. If I have ice cream, I have a cup not half a gallon.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you. For me, getting the Lap Band was an amazingly good decision. I've lost 227 pounds with it over the last 19 months and I'm still losing. It's changed my life dramatically for the better.

Best wishes.

This is by far the best post and best replies I've read since joining LBT. Thank you guys!!! This has confirmed my choice to get Lapband 100%

Hi there, I am pre-band and have learned so much on this forum. All these posts have helped me to understand what LB surgery is about. I need my appetite to subside so I can make good decisions long-term, which will allow me to lose the weight. Otherwise I can only go so long before I am back to where I started (plus some), only hungrier than ever. I look forward to the surgery and getting out of food jail. I plan to continue to enjoy good food (I love Protein and veggies), just in very small quantities. I realize there may be some things that don't agree with me post-band (cheese addict). I am especially looking forward to being able to interpret my body's signals and responding properly, which I know will be a learning process. This means giving up eating as a response to boredom or stress but not giving up eating for nutrition. Goal is to enjoy that nutrition in a healthy way.

Good luck to you! You are really in the right place for information and compassionate support. i am so impressed by the people who have been through the procedure who are willing to answer any and all questions. They are amazing. And if you need more time I'll bet you could move the date up a few weeks easily enough -- just report that it would be more convenient for you in October....then perhaps armed with information from those who have gone before us you might feel more ready?

I agree with the above post. I had the same freak out moment before the surgery. 2 months later banded 7/1/13 best decision I made. There are some food like grape to tomatoes and pork that I can't eat but I eat everything else. Some foods i could careless about eating like my all time favorite cheesecake... just no desire. your mind set changes its crazy. I see food as a necessity not an addiction anymore (if that makes sense) I could care less what I eat as long as it is high in Protein and low in everything else!! Eating 80g of protein n less than 1100 calories a day is my focus now !! The band and my mindset forces smaller quantities and I choose better quality. This weekend I was away in Vegas. Did we go out every night for gourmet dinner absolutely. Did I eat yes but only a few bites and last night here even had dessert!! I made sure to hit the gym and tracked my calories the best I could. Can't wait to get home n see the scale I actually doubt I gained weight and if u did I made the best choices I could minus not drinking enough Water .... A friend who is with us in Vegas n doesn't know about the band commented how little I eat!! By far the healthiest best decision I made. Already saving my money for the body tuck and breast lift/reshaping I am getting in 2 years. I have 100lbs left to go and this is the first time in my 28 years of dieting. I have been dieting since I'm 10 that I know I will be at goal. Taking it 10lbs at a time. Good luck and the group of people here are amazing and supportive a few not so much but since I joined I love this site. If u need support or information or motivation you are in the right place. This is ur life and ur decision so go with what makes you feel good. Wish I had this surgery years ago !!!

Thanks everyone! This really helps my decision and calms my fears. I keep reading that you have to eat healthy and completely change your lifestyle and I feel like - if I could have done that, I wouldn't need the surgery in the first place, right? Anyway, thanks again. I'm glad to know I won't have to eat like a rabbit to be successful. XD

Thanks everyone! This really helps my decision and calms my fears. I keep reading that you have to eat healthy and completely change your lifestyle and I feel like - if I could have done that, I wouldn't need the surgery in the first place, right? Anyway, thanks again. I'm glad to know I won't have to eat like a rabbit to be successful. XD

Well you do have to eat healthy and change your lifestyle. The band is a tool not magic- the work is still ours to do. But just because you eat healthy doesn't mean you can't have the occasional treat. If you continue to eat the unhealthy way that lead to obesity in the first place, you likely won't lose weight. So, a lifestyle that includes healthy food and exercise is crucial.

Has anyone suffered from shortnessif breath due to gerd? Has lap band on 7/9/13 felt great first fill was 8/13on 8/26 breathing started. I weighed 462 now im 435. Help!!!!!!!!

Hi, I agree with Missy. You do have to work towards a healthy eating plan, as you get familiar with your band you will realize there are just some types of foods that will hurt to eat. For me it is fried foods and foods that contain a lot of sugar. Good luck with your journey!!!!

I am 4 weeks post surgery, I was unsure all the way up to surgery and even after. I remember calling the Doctors office saying what did I do ( I hungry I want to eat food, I'm not going to be able to do this.) of course they laughed and said you will be fine and encouraged me to call any time I needed too. ( and I have). I didn't know anyone that had had the surgery either, but, I did a lot of praying and decided that this was not for vanity but for health reasons and decided to wrap my arms around it and adjust. I will say the surgery is the easy part. Make sure you follow the instructions to the tee. Prepare to do a lot of walking It helps with the gas pains. Do all of your grocery shopping before the surgery. It makes it easier. Four weeks after I have already lost 23 lbs. Still a little nervous about not knowing all the right this to eat, but feeling a lot better about my decision. Good Luck tomorrow!

I had the band because I really struggle with moderation and longevity. I'm a great dieter...do really well but simply can't stick to it long enough. I gave up medication, drugs (long story), alcohol all addictions to some extent but couldn't give up food. I thought like you that I'd eat the same only smaller. For me thats not so. I can't eat bread/doughy food at all. Fried anything makes me nauseous. I don't eat crisps chocolate, biscuits which were sticking points for me. Not because I can't because I know I shouldnt. The scales going down every week is enough to keep up my motivation. I don't see food as a treat anymore. I choose makeup, clothes perfume. I don't regret my band one bit but its a tool. You/we still do the hard work make the right choices. No one should influence your choices/decisions follow your own heart..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

Thanks again everyone! My surgery actually got postponed by a month because I have a Schatzki Ring or something like that, so I guess I need to have that resolved before they'll do it. I was all geared up to do it tomorrow and had been on my liquid diet for 10 days and lost 11 lbs. Ugh!