Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried - please respond

Hello - I had my surgery on August 13th. I don't get my first fill until September 23rd. I just started eating solid foods. I've done really well in trying not to overeat but am dealing with a lot of head hunger issues - craving certain foods. Today - we had a potluck at work and I know I overate. I ate things I shouldn't have and feel so guilty and worried!!! I am not supposed to eat more than a cup of food per meal and I know I ate quite a bit over that - plus it was things I should not have - a piece of fried chicken, some baked Beans, a little bit of spaghetti, etc....yes I blew it!!! This is first time I've done this since I started this journey - even going back to the 2 week pre-op diet. I had lost 18.2 lbs. from the day I started my 2 week pre op diet to 6 days after my surgery and was happy with that. Without feeling any restriction since I've not had my fill, I was able to consume way more food than I should have!! I will be so glad to get my fill!! So - my question - will this one meal damage anything - I mean - would it have stretched my pouch or the opening or anything? I know I am not going to do this again - I just feel horrible - so guilty....I've been doing so good and then ate all this food today!! People have started to tell me they can tell I'm losing and I don't want to go through all of this for nothing!!!! HELP PLEASE!! Teri

Ok, first up I'm not going to pretend that it's all ok, because it's a real possibility that you may have caused some damage to your healing stomach. I would suggest giving your surgeon's rooms a call and come clean. He may or may not be concerned, and would advise you accordingly. I don't think anyone who tells you it'll be fine, don't worry about it, would be someone I would listen to anyway. It may be absolutely nothing, but no one on this forum is going to know whether it is or it isn't based on your post.

I think the fact that you are feeling guilt & not pain is a good sign that you did no damage surgically speaking, just damage to your confidence. Keep aware of any physical discomforts and you can call your doctor for a professional opinion!

Now put it behind you & take another step forward to your future :)

Sorry for the tough love but...

Fear is NOT an after thought. You are well aware of the risks. And yes, anything can happen on the first assault to your stomach. There's nothing we can say or do other than utilize your fear to manage your future behaviors.

Too often (and quite frequently recently) we are hearing newbies getting banded and within days of surgery they are being noncompliant. Not even a month out people are testing their bands like it's a joyride. Risky business people.

I would hate to hear that anyone has suffered even a minor complication. It's a really hard way to RElearn a lesson that you can NOT just do as you choose. You are a surgical patient with a foreign apparatus in your body for life. Treat yourself that way, do not "normalize" being banded.

I think too often newbies may hear discussions where people are eating regular foods but fail to understand that this didn't come overnight. They also don't comprehend that we are talking about 2-3 bites of this and that and not a buffet serving.

4 years post op I dread things like slippage and stretching my pouch. The concept of internal bleeding, the band eroding into my stomach lining, dysmotility of the esophagus, slipped bands requiring surgery is pretty scary sh*t and I'm not tempting fate.

I have overeaten a few times. I go on Liquid Protein for a day or two and then if I have no pain I feel that I did not damage anything. I did not overeat so soon after surgery, but even so you need to stop solid for a few days to see if there is any pain in the surgical area. If so, call the doc. We all, or at least some of us, have blown it now and again. Guilt is the worse thing we can do, because of our natures we are likely to say the heck with it and continue to overeat. Stop now and it will be easier. Next time there is a pot luck excuse yourself and take a walk. Take a measuring cup and measure out what you can eat and then put you plate and fork down and if you have to go back to work or walk out. These things do take care of themselves in time.

Thanks so much everyone. I am not in any pain so I am praying that I did not damage anything. I will go back to doing my Protein Shakes twice a day for a few days and a light dinner. Overeating is not worth the guilt and the worry I am now feeling!!! I am praying all is fine.

While none of us are perfect, and we do have challenges to maintain compliance, as a previous poster mentioned, there are way too many risks to your band and well being to ignore in the situation you described. And, I am also of the belief that being honest and "telling it like it is", is much more effective and important to read than writing that it is alright, just don't do it again.

Life post band placement is a life of mindfulness, in other words, when you eat anything, or even consider eating anything, you need to be aware of what you are doing. When you approach eating this way, you do not find yourself in a situation of post indulgence guilt and worry. Peace of mind is a priceless commodity, and a gift you can give yourself.

There are ways for you to develop self awareness skills, these skills have helped me adjust to my new normal of Portion Control. I just don't allow myself to feast any more. When you are further along in your journey it should be much easier to say no to many temptations, and for those cravings which crop up from time to time, a small bite will have to be enough.

A successful weight loss journey with the band is just as much about psychology and getting your "head in the game" as it is about compliance with your eating.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

What would be the signs I would be feeling if I did damage? Oh I am so mad at myself for blowing it today!!! I have done so well. Even though I may have had a little more than just a cup a couple of times, the food I had was healthy....but not today. I feel so bad. I know I am back on track. Like I said...what I got out of eating today is sure not worth the guilt and worry I'm feeling now!!!