Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever chosen to not have any fills? My surgeon placed 4cc in my 10cc band during surgery. I am still on mushies and after I eat, I am satisfied for 3 to 4 hours and I think I have decided that I don't want a fill. I am deathly afraid of vomiting or getting stuck. I have been logging my intake on MyFitnessPal and have been consuming less than 900 calories a day since I started mushies. I get to start on solids today. I think I would rather b a little hungry before my next meal than to run a risk of having a stuck episode or throwing up. So, I was just wondering if and when anyone has chosen to not get a fill....thanks..any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I didnt get a fill until 2 months after surgery (not by choice) but I was losing 2 pds a week, eating 1 cup 5 times a day - about 1400-1500 calories. The only reason My doc gave me a fill is because he wants to work on getting to 1/2 cup 5 times a day, but I could have said no since I am on target. Its just up to you, and your personal goals. You are still on mushies so surgery wasnt that long ago I assume. I would definitely wait until closer to your fill date to make a decision.

My surgery was two weeks ago on the 19th and I have an appt on sept 12th to see if I need a fill or not. U r right tho, I start solids today via my drs instruction and I should wait to see how solids affect my hunger. Thanks for the advice :)

My surgery was two weeks ago on the 19th and I have an appt on sept 12th to see if I need a fill or not. U r right tho' date=' I start solids today via my drs instruction and I should wait to see how solids affect my hunger. Thanks for the advice :)[/quote']

My surgery was on the 20th and I haven't even switched over to mushies yet but I'm extremely hungry!!!!! I've maintained as I have lost 17 lbs including pre-op diet but I'm still hungry!!!!!!!!! Go see my nutrtrtionist tomorrow so maybe my diet will switch to mushies. Can't wait!!!!

Hi

My band was fitted empty and is a 10cc band. I have had a number of small fills and like you am now at 4 and am at restriction. Think how much you need in there is very different from person to person. If you are feeling full already at mushy stage I always find I am fuller even quicker with solid food so it may be that 4 is enough for you

Hi

My band was fitted empty and is a 10cc band. I have had a number of small fills and like you am now at 4 and am at restriction. Think how much you need in there is very different from person to person. If you are feeling full already at mushy stage I always find I am fuller even quicker with solid food so it may be that 4 is enough for you

This could be true but at 2 weeks out the stomach is more than likely still swollen. My hunger didnt kick in until week 3

Don't get me wrong...I am VERY hungry shortly before meal time lol....I was hungry only a few days after surgery. Guess I will just roll with it and see how I am feeling hunger wise at my next appt :)

Hi PJ. I'm 8 1/2 months banded, down 85 lbs. and have never had a fill. It's not willpower..it's just a fortunate thing that I have been in the green zone since day one. Yes...I get hungry when mealtime is close but for the most part, I am satisfied throughout the day and can eat around 1100 calories daily without being constantly hungry. I even had to up my Protein because I'm suffering from hair loss. I started taking the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder and hopefully that will help. So know that It's OK to be hungry as long as band sized portions satisfy you.

Don't try to tough it out if you are hungry all the time. The fills are there as part of the tool...I just happen to be one of those lucky few who didn't need any.

I apologize for my exasperation upfront because I just get flustered hearing "afraid to get a fill" "afraid to eat" rhetoric. It a contradiction to get the band but not the fills.

These are the ONLY reasons not to get a fill:

1) You are satiated minimum 3-4 hrs between meals

2) You are losing an avg of 8 lbs/month or more

3) You are experiencing negative symptoms (like GERD, pain, incapability to eat most foods or just passing liquids) this would require an unfill.

NOT

I am afraid I will get stuck

Getting stuck is a normal consequence of having the band. The only way to get around it is

1) Chew like a madman

2) Eat small bites

3) Eat small volumes (approx 1cup or less of food per meal)

4) Avoid foods that get stuck for you (common ones include eggs, Pasta, rice, bread, dry meat) but this list is highly individualized and REQUIRES experimentation

If you get stuck, try the following:

1) papaya enzyme to accelerate food breakdown

2) bending over and attempting to regurgitate the food. Sometimes the slightest pressure going up can dislodge the food and can be spit out. This is NOT the same as vomitting, which is when you expel contents from the stomach (not upper pouch)

3) stretches, being mobile, trying different positions etc have helped some but are not reliable

What you are doing right now is self control. You are very early into your band and are not even transitioned into solids. Most do not get fills until 4-6 weeks postop after recovery. At this time is when you can start to gauge things like weight loss, hungar/satiety, and if there is any restriction in your band.

The goal is to use the band optimally . Not to just have a foreign apparatus around our stomach for kicks. Bands are nothing without their fills. There's maybe 0.001 % who are at green for life with 0 fill. The reality is fills are an essential component to having the band work for you to reach your goals.

I understand the fear you may have. For whatever reason, I think getting 'stuck' has been way overhyped on this site. Surely if I described stuck to you you wouldn't run for the hills. It's not THAT excruciating that we need to fear getting fills.

PS I am not in anyway targeting you I am venting my frustration because I hear too many newbies with the same fear and it's completely absurd.

It's ok, I know u aren't targeting me. I thank u greatly for the info and advice. That's why I asked the question lol. I am starting solids today so hopefully by the 12th when I see my surgeon I will know whether or not I need a full. I just want to make the most out of getting my band without harming it or myself in any way. I really like that there r bandsters on here that are as knowledgeable as u :)

I apologize for my exasperation upfront because I just get flustered hearing "afraid to get a fill" "afraid to eat" rhetoric. It a contradiction to get the band but not the fills.

These are the ONLY reasons not to get a fill:

1) You are satiated minimum 3-4 hrs between meals

2) You are losing an avg of 8 lbs/month or more

3) You are experiencing negative symptoms (like GERD' date=' pain, incapability to eat most foods or just passing liquids) this would require an unfill.

NOT

I am afraid I will get stuck

Getting stuck is a normal consequence of having the band. The only way to get around it is

1) Chew like a madman

2) Eat small bites

3) Eat small volumes (approx 1cup or less of food per meal)

4) Avoid foods that get stuck for you (common ones include eggs, Pasta, rice, bread, dry meat) but this list is highly individualized and REQUIRES experimentation

If you get stuck, try the following:

1) papaya enzyme to accelerate food breakdown

2) bending over and attempting to regurgitate the food. Sometimes the slightest pressure going up can dislodge the food and can be spit out. This is NOT the same as vomitting, which is when you expel contents from the stomach (not upper pouch)

3) stretches, being mobile, trying different positions etc have helped some but are not reliable

What you are doing right now is self control. You are very early into your band and are not even transitioned into solids. Most do not get fills until 4-6 weeks postop after recovery. At this time is when you can start to gauge things like weight loss, hungar/satiety, and if there is any restriction in your band.

The goal is to use the band optimally . Not to just have a foreign apparatus around our stomach for kicks. Bands are nothing without their fills. There's maybe 0.001 % who are at green for life with 0 fill. The reality is fills are an essential component to having the band work for you to reach your goals.

I understand the fear you may have. For whatever reason, I think getting 'stuck' has been way overhyped on this site. Surely if I described stuck to you you wouldn't run for the hills. It's not THAT excruciating that we need to fear getting fills.

PS I am not in anyway targeting you I am venting my frustration because I hear too many newbies with the same fear and it's completely absurd.[/quote']

I totally agree with its different for everyone. I'm still struggling with a full cup of food at a meal and fill full afterwards...but I am only 2 weeks post op, so believe my stomach to be swollen...or maybe I am blessed with being the 0.001% ..but time will tell lol

I can so relate to your post. I had a real phobia about getting stuck but still chose the lapband over other WLS tools. I figured this phobia would be helpful in keeping me compliant, and it is to a certain extent.

I, like you, had good restriction from the initial banding. But as the trauma of the operation went away with time, that restriction was no longer there and I lost my initial weight on willpower...which, again, was quite high as I was very keen on seeing success with my band.

My first fill (4 ccs in a 10cc band) took place 8 weeks after my surgery. Again, good restriction at the beginning. But (and this is normal), as I lost more weight and time went on, by 3 months after that fill my band was wide open and, while I sensed I could eat anything, I didn't. (I won't test my band because if I knew I could eat bread, Pasta, rice, etc...I would eat bread, Pasta, rice, etc). So again, I functioned on willpower and not bandpower.

I got fill number two last week and right now I'm in the green zone, but I know that may not be lasting as my weight drops and my fill settles in. I am fully prepared to get another fill when I see I cannot go 4 hours between meals without hunger. I know now that willpower alone is unreliable, and I should be using the bandpower as well as willpower

There's something my surgeon said to me which I want to share here. He knows I'm scared about getting stuck and I preferred to keep my band loose due to this fear. But he also said that I did not get banded to be "doing all the work myself", which is what I was doing by not being filled to a proper restriction. I needed to stop being so fearful of possible discomfort---and that truly is all a stuck episode is--and start getting "my money's worth" out of my band.

Someone on this board has said it before: a band without correct restriction is just dieting. And I never won at dieting in the longterm.

To sum it up, here's what I've learned from my band in the five months I've had it:

--Don't be afraid of fills

--Restriction can vary by hour, day, month. My restriction seems to change as my weight drops (and this makes sense, as I lose visceral fat from around my stomach area where the band sits) and it is normal that I need "topping off" with additional fills

--My willpower can only do so much, I need the fill to complement my willingness to comply with my lapband rules

--If I eat according to my lapband rules, the risk of getting stuck is reduced to virtually zero, so my fear about getting stuck is manageable.

Hope this helps!

To me, a band without getting the fills until you are in the green zone is like buying a bike and riding it without the tyres inflated. Sure you can do it, but why bother buying the bike in the first place? If you get good restriction right off the bat, then great, but if you don't have restriction yet you intend to continue without the band's help, I reckon you could have saved yourself those incisions, that pain, the cost and not gotten the surgery to begin with, you know?

I have gotten stuck many times. If it was that bad, I'd have learned not to get to that point, but I guess I don't learn that quickly. Because it is a learning process and learning is not a bad thing. In fact, it's like learning anything new - you get used to it and after a while it's not that big a deal. I've lived with a band for 5 years now, when it wasn't working last year, I missed how it felt SO much.

WOW!! U guys r Truly amazing!!! Thank you so much for all your advice and for sharing your experiences. It has truly made me understand more about fills and getting stuck. Right now I am staying satisfied for three hour. I have been paying closer attention to the clock to see how long I am not hungry after a meal. I just started solids used yesterday so I still have some time to see how my restriction is and if it continues to b only three hours, I will def talk to my doc about a small fill. I am so glad I found this forum because without it I'm afraid I would b a little lost lol...thanks again :)

You sound like you are doing well right now, but for me hunger came back around week 3-4 post-op. I was very satisfied before that.

Please don't be afraid to get fills. I, too, had 4ccs at the time of surgery and will be going for my 5th fill next week. I currently have 6.3ccs. So, you can ask them to do a little at a time. Oh, and I have NOT gotten stuck and still haven't come across a food I couldn't tolerate.