Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is the 14th day post op and I had a family gathering. I have in and had a few bites of pizza, chocolate and ice cream! I chewed well but didn't wait 1 min between each bite! I'm stressing as I don't know if I've done any serious damage. Does this mean I've stretched my stomach, band??? I wanted to force myself to throw everything up but then got even more scared I'd move the band! Am I meant to feel pain? What are the signs I've ruined it. :( I was doing so well! It wasn't even hunger just head hunger and temptation cause its been so long. Do I need to inform my surgeon ASAP?

Okay...NEVER make yourself throw up unless you are stuck or something. Don't turn this into bulimia. If you did damage you'd probably know because of the pain. If you're not in pain or noticing any side effects I wouldn't bother with a call to the doc. However, this kind of behavior will happen again and if you don't take steps to combat it in the future it could lead to lots of difficulty and self sabotage in the future. That's what I would be more concerned about if you're not in any pain. Good luck!

So in other words I should be worried that I'm not in any serious pain?? :( I have a little sharp pain in the stomach but nothing serious. I'm really worried I've ruined the banned. I'm so stupid!! It's only been 2 weeks !

If you are in pain call the doctor. If you are not in pain and just uncomfortable with what you ate, try to walk around and see if it passes.

Guy makes some good points, never throw up or force yourself to throw up. Once this passes, take time to understand what motivated you in this situation and see if you can make better choices in the future.

We all make mistakes, forgive yourself this one and move forward hopefully making better choices and following Dr.'s guidlines.

Best of Luck to you!

Thanks Lisa and Guy. My main concern is that I've done damage to the actual band. I mean I hit into pizza after 2 weeks. Isn't that serious? I heard because the band is so delicate and has just been places on the stomach- such actions can jeopardize that. I might call in the morning to make sure. Never doing this again. The guilt more than anything is preventing me from sleeping. I can't relax, I'm really anxious about what I did.

I ate a roastburger from Aryb's on day 9 after surgery and I was okay. That being said, do what I say and not what I do. Lol. We're not perfect but we are responsible for our actions. Just because you didn't have an adverse effect this time doesn't mean you won't the next.

Guy did you at least 1 min between each bite and chew it 20 times? U ate the burger bun too right? I'm looking for reassurance as u can probably tell :)

Okay...NEVER make yourself throw up unless you are stuck or something. Don't turn this into bulimia. If you did damage you'd probably know because of the pain. If you're not in pain or noticing any side effects I wouldn't bother with a call to the doc. However, this kind of behavior will happen again and if you don't take steps to combat it in the future it could lead to lots of difficulty and self sabotage in the future. That's what I would be more concerned about if you're not in any pain. Good luck!

Agreed!!! Since you are only 14 days post op, I am asuming you have not had your first fill, so the band will be more "forgiving" in these situations.

As guy touched on, the bigger concern is your mental approach to life and food after the band, I will share with you what others (including my doctor) have shared with me. As always, I include the disclaimer that these are things that have worked for me, they may or may not be helful to you...

1. You are not going to follow your lap band "diet" perfectly every day. NO ONE DOES! But, as my doctor often repeats - If you eat right MOST of the time, you will lose weight.

2. This is not a RACE...it is a journey, not just to lose weight, but to live a healthier, happier, longer life.

3. DON'T Beat yourself up, when you mess up!! Most of us, have spent a lifetime of dieting, then when we mess up, we just say "what's the use" which just leads to more eating and more weight gain, which leads to another diet, and the cycle repeats on and on and on....Just because you mess up, doesn't mean you have to give up!

4. The band helps with the physical issues of our eating, but we still have the mental side to deal with...the head hunger...what are your eating triggers? Stay connected with a support group, such as this forum, or better still, if there is a live support group in your area, check it out.

Finally, take an HONEST look at how you think about food and your decision to have the band...are you thinking, I have made a smart investment in my future health, or do you think of all the things you can "NEVER" eat again....By the way, my doctor does not give a list of foods you can "NEVER" have, but lists foods which commonly give band patients problems - otherwise everything in moderation.

Best of Luck!

Thanks so much for that Rob. Everything u mentioned is correct. I'm more worried that I've stretched the top of the band than anything. I wish there was a way of knowing. Thanks so much for all your input.

*meant stretched thr top part of my stomach the band has been placed around. I've had no fills yet - I'm scheduled for 27/8

Guy did you at least 1 min between each bite and chew it 20 times? U ate the burger bun too right? I'm looking for reassurance as u can probably tell :)

I didn't time myself but I was SUPER careful and chewed it until liquid, yes with the bun. Knowing what I know now I'm not sure I would have taken that kind of chance. A slipped band is nothing I ever want to experience first hand.