Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have major regrets? I do

Mel,

I don't know what you are going though but I do know that we are here for you and we support you and pray that you'll find the right answers for yourself and with a little troubleshooting, maybe you'll find the reasons why you are gaining and aren't losing.

Are you exercising? We are supposed to eat so that we fuel the furnace. If you fuel the furance you will gain energy and the more you do fuel it, the more the body will burn.. this seems to be the case if you are working out. But if you are eating and not exerting, you will most likely not lose and may gain weight. The key to losing weight I have found and have heard alot of people on here say.. "exercising". Several people said.. I was stuck at the same weight and actually gained but once I got onto exercise I start to lose and lose alot. I don't know but it's working for me.

I burn a total of 2,800 calories on weekdays from my 7 - 16.5 mile bike rides and then my 30 - 45 minutes on the treadmill and/or my 5.5 mile jog/walk/runs. I burn about 3,000 - 3,900 calories per day on the weekends when I take a 31.2 mile bike ride. I take in about 1,200 calories or less daily. This is how I'm losing. Burning more calories than I eat/drink.

I just looked at fitday.com and I have to tell you guys, it's pretty amazing. This may help you some. But please, dont' give up hon. It's only the beginning.

Okay here it goes....I figured when I had this lap band 70 lbs would not be so hard to lose. Well I had my lap band done in Feb of 2005 I have had eight fills less than one year.....I have lost some weight...before the surgery.....Now I am losing weight because I cant eat...barely can drink...and maaloxx has become my drink of choice.....Its funny I had two friends that thier hubbies work with mine...we all had the lap band around same time...and we are still not losing.....but we sure can go get tons of fills....and our insurance is charged 600 dollars a pop and us 25 dollars...oh then I was told when I got a fill it was a surgical procedure...and all he did was feel for the port and stick a needle in ummm....that is not surgical to me...so told them they were not getting and extra dime out of me anymore......I havent had a fill since last year...eight should of gotten me where I wannted to go....was this for insurance money or what??? Now I have a friend who is a nurse practicioner and another friend who had to have theirs removed.......tell me about upset......All this money for what...to weight what I weighted when I went for my first fill. Do my friends and I have a problem or what.:think

Now I am losing weight because I cant eat...barely can drink...and maaloxx has become my drink of choice.....

Sweetie, you are too tight. I know that you have been in for so many fills, but you have to get a bit taken out so you can eat. You are going to have problems with the band if you don't... Sorry you have to go through this!

Melanie,

Someone told me (I don't know this for sure), that your nerve endings that tell your brain that you are full are at the top of your stomach. So, when you have restriction and food is held in the pouch, you feel full after a small amount of food. No restriction, no fuzzy-full feelings.

That is why the restriction works so well. It is true for me. I can eat a half of an apple, and I am full for an hour or two. And I am feel satisfied.

If I were you, I would put that dang scale away until you get the restriction. Right now, you are just dieting. And we all know how well diets work, and how frustrating they can be. Once you get your first fill, see where you are on the restriction.

And if you are sick of Protein, eat salads, veggies, and fruits to fill you up for now. Don't deprive yourself of food.

Hang in there! This is the toughest part, waiting for the "tool" to work, so you won't have to do all the work. That is the way it works!!!

Wow I felt like a failure too. Not the bands fault.... I was done in Oct 05 and have finally reached my sweet spot wow this does help!!! But mentally emotionally and spitiually I really want this .....I ahve only lost 30# but I can run again I have hope again oh well I guess this is not for everybody

Elda

I am sorry you haven't had the weight loss you desire. What I have found, which is a blessing for me, is that I don't have those uncontrolable cravings anymore. I journal my food making sure I get at least 1000 calories and no more then 1200 calories. I concentrate on 50 grams of Protein and 25 grams of Fiber. No bread, and no sugar because those or binge bring-on foods for me. Someday when this becomes a natural habit for me I can stop journaling everything. Remember the band is a tool, not a miracle worker. We still have to make wise food choices.

missymaxie, I agree, you are too tight!!!! Start a thread and drum up some advice...post your menu, eating habits, fill schedule with amounts and lets get to the bottom of this. If you live on Maalox, I can assure you, you are too tight and will NOT lose weight this way. You have to eat to lose weight. And not 2000+ calories a day. Real food in good portions. Rather than worry about whether or not this is some kind of Dr/insurance conspiracy, be willing to take a close look at what you are doing and how. Tweak what's needed. There are too many success stories for this to be a crock of "poop". Maybe the band won't work for you, but make sure it's for some medical reason, and not a lack of information needed to make it work. ((((hugs))) and YOU CAN DO THIS!

How are you, MelAnne?

MelAnne,

I feel you are over obsessing right now about calories, Protein, carbs, etc. You are still recovering from surgery and you have no restriction. I do not "diet" with my band, but I do try to make good food choices. If I feel like having something that has more carbs or fats than I "should", I go for it. I know I cannot eat the amount I used to and I find that by not having any forbidden foods, I don't feel deprived. I have lost 40 lbs so far and feel better than ever. P.S. - I am really bad about exercise also :) , but lately have been trying to walk daily.

I wish you all the best and hope you are feeling better soon!

missymaxie, I agree, you are too tight!!!! Start a thread and drum up some advice...

I just found the thread you started the other day about this...going to read it now...