Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a hard time trying to decide which procedure to undergo.

Maybe I have been researching and investigating so much that it has confused me. I want to do my homework before I get to my first appointment with the team. I want to be able to get as much information from them as possible.

I meet with the paychologist on Monday and completed around 800-900 questions eval, no lie. It was not what I expected to tell the truth. I will meet with him in two weeks to discuss the eval results. My appt with the team is on August 28.

I need your support or comments in regards to the lap band vs sleeve. I know the doctor's have the final say. But what are the things/reasons why you choose the lap band vs any other procedure? I just want to make the right decision. I want to be healthy and happy. Regret is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance.

I need your support or comments in regards to the lap band vs sleeve. I know the doctor's have the final say. But what are the things/reasons why you choose the lap band vs any other procedure? I just want to make the right decision. I want to be healthy and happy. Regret is not an option for me.

No, the Doctor's don't have the final say. You do.

I went with LB because I wanted something for he most part that was reversible, and didn't remove or re-route portions of my intestinal system. I liked the much lower risk of complications and death and was willing to settle for a slower weight loss. I am very happy with my choice, but what ever WLS you choose, it will require you to work, and work hard to get where you want to be.

I chose the lap band because it was the least invasive and it is reversible. The others are not. I was banded on July 10th and have had no regrets. I am down 34 lbs since the beginning of my pre op. I'm thrilled. Good luck and listen to your Doctors.

I also chose the band because of the reversibility. I have known people who had by pass and then had cancer and needed to get all the nutrients they could due to the chemo and radiation.. if they cannot get enough they lose too much weight and are at risk for death from malnutrition.. My husband had esophageal cancer and we had to fight daily to keep his weight up enough to overcome the chemo and radiaton so I know first hand how important this is.. I also wanted something that was less invasive.. I have several by pass and sleeve patients in my support group and I gotta say they don't look good.. they always have complaints about not being able to eat.. most are on Protein Shakes all the time.. I don't want to live on shakes... I eat real food and I have lost 50# no longer a diabetic, blood pressure is back to normal and my PCP cut my cholesterol meds in half.. There are complications with any surgery you just have to decide which path to go down...

Thanks Terry and Melissa43,

I do like the LB procedure but unsure about having the port. Does it blend in or is it obvious. I here there can be several issues with the port as well as multiple visits for LB.

As Terry stated, the doctors don't have the final say which WLS you get. It's 100% your choice and you get the final say.

At the end of the day, you have to decide which surgery is best for you. But, I urge you not to base that decision on anecdotal evidence on the internet. Research the facts on both surgeries.

I can only speak for myself, but I chose the Band over the Sleeve because I couldn't justify cutting out 3/4 of my healthy stomach without trying something far less drastic first. If you ever have major stomach problems, like cancer, you're totally screwed. I figured I could get the band removed if something goes wrong but I could never get that big part of my stomach back. For me, the Band was the logical place to start.

I positively love my band. I have lost 227 pounds in the last 19 months. I've gone from a size 46W to a size 14. I've lost 87% of my excess weight and I'm still actively losing. For me, deciding to get the band is the best decision I've ever made.

Best wishes on whatever you decide is best for you.

Your doctor may recommend one over the other, however, ultimately you choose which procedure to have.

Like the others, I too chose lapband because it was the least invasive and was reversible if any complications were to occur. I was also not thrilled with the concept of likely malabsorption issues you get with bypass and having issues like Vitamin deficiencies etc. Also not a fan of dumping syndrome, again associated with bypass. The sleeve also has it's own complications, they too can suffer from GERD but they can also suffer from malrotation, bleeding, adhesions etc. I was just always concerned with what the go to would be if I had these issues and it seemed like bypass and sleeve had limited options. I'm nearly 4 years out, lost 100 lbs and am at goal. I know I could not have done this w/out the band.

Thanks Terry and Melissa43,

I do like the LB procedure but unsure about having the port. Does it blend in or is it obvious. I here there can be several issues with the port as well as multiple visits for LB.

The multiple visits are a plus, I love that as I loose my band is adjustable, I went in this morning for a "tweak", I can adjust it for my lifestyle, my comfort level. I exercise heavily during the summer, I want it looser, but as my activity level declines in the fall and winter I want it tighter. Can't do that with a sleeve or GB :D

As for the port, it is there, and not very obvious now, I have another 40 pounds to loose so it may be more obvious then, but it can always be re-routed later.

I won't lie, since losing over 200 pounds my port is definitely more noticeable. When I have on clothes you can't see it, but without a shirt you can see a little bump under the skin where the port is. It's not super obvious, though. If I didn't say "hey look! it's my port!" and poke at it you'd never know it's there. Truth is, I kinda see it as a badge of success. The fact it's no longer masked by fat is exciting.

I really thank you guys for coming to my resue. I am

definitely feeling better about the LB now. It is definitely safer and safety first.

Sharpie thanks for chimming in on this post and for pointing out an valid reason why this is so true. I did ask this question in the seminar and the doctor made it seem like it not a big deal to get around. I am sorry you guys had to go through this. You have helped me seal the deal thanks to all every comment made a huge difference. I thank you all. Be well...

YOU ARE GUY'S ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! 100%

I mean it. I couldn't have asked for more. Did I say, thank you all. This was something that no one I know could help me with. So much love and support here. (Tears)

Guy you are so freaking funny. LOL

To be honest, after knowing what I know now II would have gone with the sleeve. My doctor pushed me towards the lapband. But, I still wonder, I'm now 65... what if the lapband needs to be removed in 20 years? Do I really want to undergo surgery at age 85 to have a band removed? The doctor told me surgery was risky at my age... will it be less so 20 years down the road?

Plus, the band needs almost constant attention for at least a year or two after surgery. Fills, unfills, follow up barium upper GIs, etc. A fill in my doctor's is 400 bucks. That is not small change. He is a good doctor, but if I was self pay without insurance I'd be screwed.

My wife had the sleeve, after I had the band. I am far more impressed with the results for the sleeve versus the band.

Don't get me wrong, I have the band, and I intend to make it work for me. But, the person asking this question has to determine what works best for her/him and go from there.

LW

any WLS is great and any WLS can have complications

whichever you get, do the best you can with it (for best results) and with all things, success will vary (as you can view from postings above me) on the amounts loss....all i can say it is it did save my life and i have lost alot with the band/plication but i also did alot to (help it along)...so whatever pick or choose, ALL THE BEST