Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I went and got my second fill of 1 1/2 cc's which puts me at a total of 4 cc's. But im having trouble eating. As I chew and swallow I feel the food stop at the band and it is immediately uncomfortable. After a few seconds i then feel the food pass through the band. This seems to happen with most meals. My Doctor assures me that I am not in the green zone yet because I am only maintaining my weight and not losing any. But what am I suppose to do if this discomfort continues? I do admit to having a lot of trouble taking small bites and chewing everything up good so could that be the problem? I hope so...And just so I can get some perspective can anyone describe their bite sizes when they eat, I think if I could get a better visual of the proper bite size it may help me. Thanks.

I have the same issue and I have had so many fills and recently proclaiming to start over. I am in the green zone but I have to eat with a smaller spoon and read while I eat. It takes my mind off of the eating and ofcourse it takes me a little longer to finish even after everyone else at the table is done. Which aggravates me a lot even after 3 years of dealing. I take small sips usually using a water bottle. You have to find your nitch. What works best for you. Cut your meat up before you sit down. And I always drink after the meal. If I drink before the meal Im full before I sit down. If I were you I would use the old fashion long handled teaspoon. Its smaller than the average teaspoon now.

Ok' date=' so I went and got my second fill of 1 1/2 cc's which puts me at a total of 4 cc's. But im having trouble eating. As I chew and swallow I feel the food stop at the band and it is immediately uncomfortable. After a few seconds i then feel the food pass through the band. This seems to happen with most meals. My Doctor assures me that I am not in the green zone yet because I am only maintaining my weight and not losing any. But what am I suppose to do if this discomfort continues? I do admit to having a lot of trouble taking small bites and chewing everything up good so could that be the problem? I hope so...And just so I can get some perspective can anyone describe their bite sizes when they eat, I think if I could get a better visual of the proper bite size it may help me. Thanks.[/quote']

I do not take any bite that is bigger than a nickel. Another poster says he puts his spoon/fork down after each bite, which I started doing as well. It makes a big difference in waiting as I then have to prep my next bite. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

When I originally went to my nutritionist, she told me my bites should be no bigger than my fingernail. Yes, that's really small. It took some time to get used to it but now it's second nature. I also put my fork or spoon down between bites so I don't accidentally shovel more in too soon.

IMG_0508.jpg

When I originally went to my nutritionist' date=' she told me my bites should be no bigger than my fingernail. Yes, that's really small. It took some time to get used to it but now it's second nature. I also put my fork or spoon down between bites so I don't accidentally shovel more in too soon.

[/quote']

I wished my nutritionist would have tol d me that 3 years ago!

HI

I found with each fill that it was tightest at the beginning and then would settle down. Do go slow. You are listening to your body.

If I follow the guidelines, it all works. When I rush, gulp, big bites or drink, it can come back up. Sooo...it's the boss and I have to listen!

Hang in there!

Gayle

in the baby section at the store or spoons and forks for infant to use get those for a while its perfect size to learn what a small bite is and no chance of to big of bit. Also just after a fill eat soft foods for 24-48 jhours this settle the new fill into place...

BigOBoy

Hi! I think that you already know what's causing the problem...big bites and eating too fast! Last night I had the worse stuck episode ever! And I immediately realized that it was all my fault! I tried to eat a regular size piece of meat. After the episode, I sat down, cut the meat into tiny baby size pieces and I was able to eat without any problems. Of course I eat slowly and chewed as much as possible before swallowing. That meant that my food got really cold and it took me forever to finish, but I was able to eat without any problems and that's what's important, right? I know that it is hard to remember the smaller bites, but you will get used to it. Side note: my husband always gives me a bottle of Water when we sit down to eat dinner, and every time I have to remind him that I do not drink when I eat. Lol. The point is that even our friends and family members have to get used to OUR new eating habits and lifestyle. Good luck and be careful when you eat.

I have had no fills and I have exactly the same reaction to food. My clinic had me do a barium swallow and it showed I had quite a bit of restriction from Fluid put in during surgery but that it was not too much and since I lost more than the weight loss target of 5 lbs, they thought my restriction level was fine. But, I told them I was very uncomfortable every time I ate, feeling like the food was stuck in my esophagus. It was not a bad "stuck" episode with sliming or PB'ing but uncomfortable nonetheless. The nurse said exactly what other responders have said, take tiny bites, chew at least 30 seconds and then wait at least 30 seconds to a minute before taking the next bite. There is an app for smart phones that will help you time your bites. I thought I was eating slowly but I was not...the timer really helps slow you down. Good luck!

When I originally went to my nutritionist' date=' she told me my bites should be no bigger than my fingernail. Yes, that's really small. It took some time to get used to it but now it's second nature. I also put my fork or spoon down between bites so I don't accidentally shovel more in too soon.

[/quote']

Is this fingernail size recommended all the time or especially when your band is tight and you've just had a fill?

Is this fingernail size recommended all the time or especially when your band is tight and you've just had a fill?

It's all the time. I haven't had a fill since January, actually. My bites are a little bigger than this these days but not by much. I still take very small bites.

I have had no fills and I have exactly the same reaction to food. My clinic had me do a barium swallow and it showed I had quite a bit of restriction from Fluid put in during surgery but that it was not too much and since I lost more than the weight loss target of 5 lbs' date=' they thought my restriction level was fine. But, I told them I was very uncomfortable every time I ate, feeling like the food was stuck in my esophagus. It was not a bad "stuck" episode with sliming or PB'ing but uncomfortable nonetheless. The nurse said exactly what other responders have said, take tiny bites, chew at least 30 seconds and then wait at least 30 seconds to a minute before taking the next bite. There is an app for smart phones that will help you time your bites. I thought I was eating slowly but I was not...the timer really helps slow you down. Good luck![/quote']

What's the name of the app?

My Meal Timer. Put out by True Results but anyone can get it.

My nutritionist said to cut everything to the size of a plain M & M... ( I'd say that is about the same size as the nail analogy) chew 20-25 times and put the fork and knife down between bites... Also don't pre-cut all the food... as having to cut between bites allows a few extra moments to decide if you should have another bite or not.... definatly sounds like you are eating too big of bites and too fast..meal should take 30 minutes to finish.

Thanks for the info on the meal timer app