Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jealous Co-workers

I have had my band for 3 years now. I have lost 87lbs. I have roughly 70lb pounds more to lose so that is still a ways, yet. But my problem is that my so called friends "only a hand full" are jealous of my weight loss. I work in nursing so I deal with "some know it alls" and they are So jealous that they themselves have decided to have wls, which is a great thing for them but I don't really think that they want to. One of them in particular will be having a sleeve in the upcoming months. Ofcourse I have been having trouble with my port being painful so my surgeon and I have been discussing the sleeve option. I mistakenly shared that info with this person and they acted as if the sleeve was better than the band in the first place. They had even made comments in front of other co-workers that the band doesn't help with hunger management only the sleeve. I was furious. I thought to myself she knows nothing about the band and she knows nothing of the sleeve because she has neither! She deliberately talks about how I workout to which if she worked out she could lose weight like me without having anything done. Now she is having trouble in this area and she has called me in the past for advice but I told her to pretty much F off! She is getting closer to her surgery date and she has openly said that she isn't sure if she really wants to go through with it. She still gives me a hard time at work since I have cut any kind of information ties of my personal business. I know Im not in this boat alone so how do you deal?

I have had my band for 3 years now. I have lost 87lbs. I have roughly 70lb pounds more to lose so that is still a ways, yet. But my problem is that my so called friends "only a hand full" are jealous of my weight loss. I work in nursing so I deal with "some know it alls" and they are So jealous that they themselves have decided to have wls, which is a great thing for them but I don't really think that they want to. One of them in particular will be having a sleeve in the upcoming months. Ofcourse I have been having trouble with my port being painful so my surgeon and I have been discussing the sleeve option. I mistakenly shared that info with this person and they acted as if the sleeve was better than the band in the first place. They had even made comments in front of other co-workers that the band doesn't help with hunger management only the sleeve. I was furious. I thought to myself she knows nothing about the band and she knows nothing of the sleeve because she has neither! She deliberately talks about how I workout to which if she worked out she could lose weight like me without having anything done. Now she is having trouble in this area and she has called me in the past for advice but I told her to pretty much F off! She is getting closer to her surgery date and she has openly said that she isn't sure if she really wants to go through with it. She still gives me a hard time at work since I have cut any kind of information ties of my personal business. I know Im not in this boat alone so how do you deal?

I lost 176 pounds prior to getting my band. I totally relate to this,I have family that is so jealous that I am not allowed to even tell someone when they ask me about my weight loss! It's crazy, people ask, when you go from a 7X to a 14/16 people notice. It is very hurtful when they me to shut up in front of people. I almost didn't tell them I was getting a band. But I figure it's their problem not mine!

If she doesn't want to improve her health that's up to her but we did it for our health and , of course their are know it all people and they think they know what's best for us but untill they do their research and we are not trying to cure our hunger we just wanted to be healthy and the band takes more time cause it is a tool we work with where as the sleeve only lets you eat a very tiny amount and can stretch real easy so you can gain back as much or even more than you weighed before , how do I know it took me 2 yrs. to think about the band & my Aunt had her stomach stapled twice, and she gained back then she had another weight loss procedure, gained back then she was going to get banded but her liver and stomach are connected so she had to have the sleeve done how ever she is still struggling ith her weight loss, that's how I know.

You ladies have done magnificent. I tried not telling people that I had surgery because I didn't want people to think I took the easy way out.

At 1st, only family knew, then wait staff, because I would cut my meal in half to go home. Soon, hubby would tell other people because he was proud of me. A lot of people do not remember me being 255 lbs. My grandchildren see pictures of grandma, and they don't know me! Anyway, just wanted to say, I lost weight for ME!!Best wishes and share with those you want to and not with those you don't. By the way, got my surgery at 61. By then, I had probably gained and lost over 1000 lbs during my 40 years of yoyo dieting! Best wishes, Karen

seems to me some one is overly concerned with you

lets see, you are steadily losing weight and in losing 87+ pounds, the inches loss are massive and i am sure your attitude has changed and you are feeling terrific and looking terrific........seems to me, and i am just an ole biker/country girl, those people are just jealous of YOU....

we cant control what other people feel and think and frankly we really shouldnt care but we do....i have came across that via this issue (in real world and on this forum) and while it does bother me somewhat, it also makes me try harder

why?

i guess we must be doing something right.......

so keep at it....let your success rub off on people

Don;t let them get to you! my co worker who had the band removed.. came to me the other day and said you really follow your post fill rules? i said yeah.. i don;t want issues.. she said hm maybe thats why i had so many issues.. this was the same co worker who told me right before i left to go out that i didnt need to tell anyone if i didnt want to.. i said .. its my news to share if i want plus id rather them hear from me then other people... alot of people feel that their way is best .. when in reality it's not for everyone but people dont have the censors on their mouths sometimes.. let them be jealous! their the ones who most likely won;t do anything to improve their health because they are to busy talking