Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophagus, reflux, GERD oh my...

So working on getting all the pre-procedures checked off. I have history of reflux and GERD so surgeon wanted a esophageal motility test, my dr. For the reflux and Esophagus issues thinks bypass would be a better option for me... Though that's one opinion. waiting for the motility test now. This is the only thing I really concerned that may prevent me from being banded.

Anyone have similar reflux issues prior to be banded? what happened for you? Also anyone post band have issues come up?

TGIF all :)

Actually the band will increase your GERD and those who've never had issues may suddenly develop it (especially once they start their fills).Take your docs advice on this one

I had bad reflux before surgery, and it's very bad AFTER surgery. Prior to the procedure, my surgeon told me that he can do something to help with the reflux, which was to repair a hernia. He also said that the plication should help. I had hoped that the issue would resolve, but some days I think it's worse than before. I went back on Omeprozole this past week; 40mg per day. I don't like taking it, because it blocks the absorption of Calcium and some B Vitamins. On the other hand, I'm not up for throat cancer, either.

Regarding bypass over band, you just have to be psychologically ready for what comes along with that surgery. It's not reversible, and the malabsorption issues can bring on other issues. I was scheduled to have that done initially, but freaked out and cancelled it. I've known two people who had their Iron levels drop dangerously low; so much so, that they had to have daily IV infusion of the mineral into their system. Even so, it's been a challenge getting the levels back up. Scary stuff!

I'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself. It's not an easy one, but look at ALL of the data on the surgeries, taking into consideration your specific health issues.

Good luck to you......

The motility test is needed before you can decide on what procedure you'll have. Many bariatric surgeons are requiring on before banding and gastric sleeve since both are high pressure systems, band more so than sleeve. I'm recovering from band removal due to gerd, motility problems that occurred within the last few months. I wish I'd had the test before surgery. I had a lot of scar tissue around the esophagus and under the band. Surgery was almost 3 hours...recovery difficult, but I'm feeling better. I have to wait a few weeks to eat salads, raw foods cuz my tissues are pretty thin where the scar tissue was removed.

Get the test and if it comes back with any issues you'll need to rethink your wls options. Best of luck.

All of this info is worrisome to me. I'm afraid that with my reflux issue, something is going to bite me in the ass down the road.

Is the motility test different than the upper GI swallow? I'm seeing my surgeon on the 17th for a TNE, so he can go down and see what's going on in my throat, esophagus, and stomach. He is looking to see if the acid is causing any issues.

I'm doing SO well with the band, I would really hate to have it taken out. That's not even a discussion for any reason at this time, but from what I'm reading here, it sounds like a possibility down the road. If it comes, I just hope I'm at goal! Once there, I honestly believe that I can maintain it on my own. I'm way too old to put myself through this again.

the motility test is different from the Upper GI test. I guess I will wait and see what the surgeon says when he gets the results. The suggestion of getting the bypass was from my gastrointestinal dr. I am already on 20mg omeprezal and have no symptoms.

Your posts make me a little worried. I guess I will have a long vonversation with the surgeon.

I'm more worried but thank you for your thoughts on the matter.

Please let me know the outcome. I'm interested to know.....

PLEASE don't get the band if you already have issues. Almost guaranteed they will get worse, like to the point of unbearable and damaging.

Ivy what if the surgeon feels its okay? The issues i know of are GERD and reflux...but are controlled with meds.

again will just see if there are other issues found from the test today and if there isn't talk to the surgeon about my risks and if he still thinks its a good idea to proceed.

:'(

Ivy what if the surgeon feels its okay? The issues i know of are GERD and reflux...but are controlled with meds.

again will just see if there are other issues found from the test today and if there isn't talk to the surgeon about my risks and if he still thinks its a good idea to proceed.

At the end of the day, your doctor is the one to best guide you. There is a lot of good support and info on this site, but no one here that I've seen is a bariatric surgeon. Follow his/her guidance, and if you're not totally comfortable with what you're told, a second opinion may be helpful. It's a big step no matter which way you decide to go, so make sure you've done ALL of the necessary research, to make sure you move in the best direction for you.

At the end of the day, your doctor is the one to best guide you. There is a lot of good support and info on this site, but no one here that I've seen is a bariatric surgeon. Follow his/her guidance, and if you're not totally comfortable with what you're told, a second opinion may be helpful. It's a big step no matter which way you decide to go, so make sure you've done ALL of the necessary research, to make sure you move in the best direction for you.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

PS: Regarding some of the comments telling you not to get the band because your issues will get worse..... There are many whose reflux actually improves or resolves, once they lose weight. Again, I think it's best that you work this out with your doctor, and also do your own research.

I can only tell you that I did not have any gastro issues before banding. And now I have permanent and painful damage. I've witnessed the same things happening for the past 11 years amongst my banded friends. I'm trying to help you avoid what we've all gone through. But ultimately make your decision with your surgeon, of course.

My surgeon wasn't exactly on the up and up, unfortunately, and cared more about money than the welfare of his patients. I hope yours is a good one and will steer you in the right direction. Sometimes surgeons who are unable to do other bariatric procedures will "sell" you on the band, whether it's the right one for you or not.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose.

My surgeon felt the bypass was a good option for me. Not because of the reflux, but because the success rate is higher. Overall, he's not a huge fan of the band, though he was trained prior to it's release in 2001, and has been performing the surgery ever since. He has trained dozens of surgeons, and has been doing bariatric surgery for many years. For the most part, his issue with the band is the lower success rate, and the ongoing care and issues banded patients are more prone to. But he is cautious, and proactive if anything even hints of an issue. I would hope that jk's surgeon is top rate, and has HER best interest at heart.