Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Synthroid and Weight Loss

Has anyone on Synthroid had to have their dose lowered due to weight loss? Since I dropped some weight, I noticed being a bit jittery. The only thing I can think of, is that my dose is now too high. I have a call into my doctor, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues.

My surgeon had my pcp lower my dosage before I had the band placed due to being over medicated. He told me that he did not anticipate medication being changed due to weight loss for the treatment of hypothyroidism.

Has anyone on Synthroid had to have their dose lowered due to weight loss? Since I dropped some weight, I noticed being a bit jittery. The only thing I can think of, is that my dose is now too high. I have a call into my doctor, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any issues.

My dose of Synthroid has not changed in the 20+ years I have had it prescribed for me. The dose has not varied even as my weight has.

Definitely a good question to ask your physician.

Best wishes...

Thanks for the response. I looked on the internet last night, and you can go nuts; too much varied information. I just came back from the lab, and should have the results next week.

Carole, I was also on the same dose for over 20 years, until it had to be increased about a year ago. I've been doing great, but felt tremors over the last few days. It could be totally unrelated. I suspect, with Hashimotos disease, that over time the Synthroid will increase instead of decrease.

I was put on a low dose of synthroid a couple months prior to surgery. I went back a few months after surgery and my pcp raised my dose slightly.

I just went back in a few weeks ago for the first time in almost a year to have a checkup on my levels and was pleasantly surprised that my numbers were perfect, even after not taking my synthroid regularly for about a month prior due to being too tight and unable to swallow the pill. I would hazard to guess that something has stabilized but I will continue to take a low dose a couple times a week.

My dose had to be adjusted shortly after surgery. I felt just like you jittery and had heart palpitations. I know that's a symptom for me that my dose is to high. I was on 188 mcg and went to 175 then finally 150 mcg what I've been on since I'm maintaining. I felt horrible and my tsh was so off it took a good few months to get back to normal. Make sure u get blood work and have Dr adjust accordingly.

I've never been at one dose amount longer than six months. Seems like every time I went in the dosage had to be upped. And then last October I started to get heart palpations when the amount was raised. Blood work showed I needed more (and I was dragging butt) but body didn't respond well to higher dose. So my endocrinologist told me loosing weight would help. We had already discussed WLS as he'd seen my weight climb and climb through the years. Those heart palpations were the "boost" I needed to move forward with getting WLS. Of all things they were the worst thing I had every experienced. And after just dropping 20 lbs after surgery I was responding better to a lower dose and no more palpations. And I go in this next week to see if it needs to be adjusted again. This time I'll be 60 lbs (at least) lighter. So far my experience has been weight does effect dosage.

My dose had to be adjusted shortly after surgery. I felt just like you jittery and had heart palpitations. I know that's a symptom for me that my dose is to high. I was on 188 mcg and went to 175 then finally 150 mcg what I've been on since I'm maintaining. I felt horrible and my tsh was so off it took a good few months to get back to normal. Make sure u get blood work and have Dr adjust accordingly.

Beth - was your dose adjusted after surgery because your numbers were off?

I was on .088 mcg for over 20 years. Then about a year ago, I was cold all the time, and my hair was thinning. I was also lethargic. My doc checked my blood and I needed to go up; now on 100 mcg. I've been doing great on that dose, and it resolved all of my (thyroid related) issues. I can't imagine why all of a sudden it would need to go back down to .088, but I'll know next week. I also just went back on Vivelle (estrogen patch), so maybe it's related to that? Our bodies are like little chemistry labs! :wacko:

When I was diagnosed with Hashimotos back in 1988, the doctor at the time started me on such a high dose (high for me). He was such a jerk; said it was the standard dose to begin.....something like 150 mcg. I complained that I was jittery and didn't feel good, and he told me it was all in my head. Can you imagine?!! I was so out of there! Next doc checked my blood & lowered the dose to .088....which was perfect for a LONG time.

I've never been at one dose amount longer than six months. Seems like every time I went in the dosage had to be upped. And then last October I started to get heart palpations when the amount was raised. Blood work showed I needed more (and I was dragging butt) but body didn't respond well to higher dose. So my endocrinologist told me loosing weight would help. We had already discussed WLS as he'd seen my weight climb and climb through the years. Those heart palpations were the "boost" I needed to move forward with getting WLS. Of all things they were the worst thing I had every experienced. And after just dropping 20 lbs after surgery I was responding better to a lower dose and no more palpations. And I go in this next week to see if it needs to be adjusted again. This time I'll be 60 lbs (at least) lighter. So far my experience has been weight does effect dosage.

Tara - did you doctor ever try another type of thyroid med on you? There are a couple of others that a lot of people do very well on; Nature-Throid and Armour. I think there is another one too, but these are a combo of T3 and T4. I didn't do well on either one, but a lot of people who couldn't find a good balance with Synthroid, do much better on the combo.

Based on what you're saying, I'll be interested to hear the result of my lab work. I still have a bottle of .088 mcg, and would love to go back down.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better. And congrats on the 60 pounds! I know you feel GREAT!

Msinto

In the beginning (over six yrs ago) I did try different meds and then dr stuck with synthroid when I finally responded some to that one. And then it's been a process of adjusting it upward. Someone mentioned being started on a high dose and I think my dr did the opposite. I'm now on 137 mcg and the 150 dosage is the one that made me feel so bad. I'll go in this next week and will try to remember to come back to this thread and post what the dr says.

Tara - yes, everyone's body is so different, and responds to different things. I've done very well on Synthroid, though there are doctors who swear by the others. Up until a year ago, I never noticed any issues with my dose whatsoever. Which is odd for me, because I'm ultra sensitive to all meds. I guess is was a perfect balance.....until a year ago.

I'll try & remember to post the outcome, too.

I have hypothyroididm and hashimotos and my tsh levels have been great since surgery!

Yes my dose changed abt a month after the surgery. I had been on 188 for long time prior to losing weight. I'm a nurse in my pcps office so I told her how I felt and it was low (its opposite for tsh levels when nbrs are low means getting to much and nbrs are high not enough) it took months to get it back to normal because u have to slowly lower dose and then repeat bloodwork in a month. I m have been on synthroid for 13 years and I know my bodys reaction when to low or high. As you continue to lose pls get bloodwork at least every two months. If you aren't getting enough it will slow your weight loss.

My T3 level came back low. My internist wants me to come in to discuss lowering my dose. I have a copy of the results, and both TSH and T4 are in the normal range.

I don't understand this enough to interpret the results, but I just hope that my weight loss doesn't slow down if she lowers the dose. I really don't want to rock the boat, because I'm VERY happy with my progress so far. :mellow:

Just keep working with your doctor. Weight loss is important but too much hormone can be so bad.