Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't understand the why

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I just wonder if anyone has noticed this. First of all let me say I am a successful bandster of 6 years and so very happy I had this procedure done....now on to what I have observed.

I get alot of compliments on my looks and how I dress even though I am not a small person meaning I am not a size 6 because- I am a 14/16 which is good for my frame and height. I have maintained this size for 4 years now (coming from a 26/28). When I was a teen, I was this size, 14/16 but was ridiculed about my size by peers and even adults. I think it is brought to my mind when I see young kids who are overweight and even obese which I saw yesterday and the pain that their little hearts and mind have to endure for not measuring up so to speak. Well, that is just what I was thinking and wanted to share.

well, 40 yrs ago I was a 14 and teased for being to big now I want to be that size agin and almost there. What is a perfect size changes over the years. bulling of any kind is hurtful and life long pain and gain .

I think it's partly society's perception. Young people are supposed to be slim....if you're older, it's OK to have some extra meat. Obviously I don't agree, this is just an observation.

Also...size is relative so to speak. I was at a wedding last night and saw folks that I haven't seen in six months or more. I got compliments galore which is understandable with 71 lbs. gone. I heard people say things that you hear when you reach goal. I have 45 lbs. more to go. So I know that I look great compared to what I looked like six months ago....but I still wore a size 18 dress...and that's not acceptable as a final size for me.

I feel the same, I have been overweight my entire life and have every last rude comment from everyone around me. It is because it doesn't fit with the norm of society. It's all about looks nowadays, I want to look good but most importantly I want to FEEL good, I'm so happy for you that you have maintained a healthy life style. I bet you look and feel amazing. I can't wait to be there. :D

It's heartbreaking but common.

I was teased a lot as a teen, too. I remember wearing size L shirts and feeling gigantic. In retrospect, I think I felt so giant because it was drilled into my head that I was. All that teasing starts to wear you down after awhile.

Fast forward a couple decades to now- I am THRILLED to be in L shirts. Just to be out of plus sizes made me jump for joy. I still have a minimum of 40 more pounds to lose yet I actually got called "tiny" a couple days ago. Granted, I looked at her like she had 2 heads because I'm NOT tiny...but...wow! 25 years ago I was teased for being this size yet now I'm called "tiny". It makes no sense.

Yes, to everything being said. I was a size 9/11 in high school, and felt fat! Even my home ec teacher had me join TOPS because I was borderline, chubby! Now, if I was a junior 9/11, I would be skinny! I was down to 8, now a 10. Everyone told me I was too skinny at 8. I am trying to get back into my 8's now! But 10 is okay, too!

one of my memories from my growing up was from my other

i was a cheerleader/gymnast and i weighed 100 pounds..i remember she called me fat..i shudder to think what she would have said if i had been at that time...i am nearly 48, i remember that to this day..words do hurt....and not easily forgotten.....

Who cares what other people think I did this fr me cause I couldn't walk or get on some rides and I was not happy ,also my health was going down my thyroid problems came back I had no energy and was almost sleeping my life away so when I was awake I would eat and eat and snack and eat , and I was getting sick a lot so now I can walk I have more energy and haven't been sick since Nov. of 2012 and I was banded in Sept so I didn't do it for any body not even my children I did it for my self so I could feel better about my self , npw y children have noticed cause we do more things together even if it is walking ,cooking or just going to the mall , now they ask me if I'm ready to go instead of me asking them or telling them I will just wait on one of the benches or at the food courts lol so I am happy now but I did it for my self , cause I am happy no matter what I am just more happy and more healthy now.