Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1500 Cal Diet...Really??

Ok so my nutritionist just put me on a 1500 cal diet. She did so at my2nd meeting with her...I guess bc according to their scale I only lost 3lbs since my last meeting (even though the one at home showed that I lost 9). My surgery isn't even for at least another 4-5mos from now. I have to do the six month insurance wait period. Anywho, is this normal?? Also, how easy was it for you all to keep up with this value? I am going crazy trying to fit my meals around this 1500 cal diet. Oh by the way I HATE the word DIET! All it screams to me is get ready to be starving and cranky, lbvvs:) I don't eat "cookie-cutter" meals that just easily appear on any calorie counter website or app and trying to figure out how many calories are in a baby bowl (yes I started eating out of my 1 year old son's bowls to cut my portions) of spaghetti with ground turkey and homemade sauce using Tomato paste and Water and herbs. Excuse me if I'm coming off strong, I only had 2 slices of turkey bacon and two slices of bread this morning at about 5:30 so I'm hungry. So yeah. That's it. Any and all positive feedback on this will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I assume you're on the 6 month insurance mandated nutrition program? Sometimes I wonder if these type of obstacles are just a way to wean out prospective surgeries in an attempt to avoid paying for one? If we WLS patients could be successful dieting we wouldn't need WLS right?

I don't recall ever hearing of anyone who was denied because they weren't successful with the 6 month nutrition program? It could be possible that should you be successful they may deny coverage because you've shown that you are capable of losing without surgery?

IMO, I would do the best you can but don't knock yourself out by starving yourself for the next 5 months. If your nut is intelligent she will just advise you to make intelligent choices for foods you consume?

tmf

Are you female? Doesn't say in your profile, but I'm thinking.....yes. If you are, 1500 calories per day is pretty generous.

At some point, you are going to be responsible for tracking what you eat. Maybe, instead of strongly resisting this part of the preparation, use it to learn how to account for what you consume. Even when banded, you're going to have to keep tabs on your calories and Protein intake.

As you get more familiar with how many calories and Protein are in certain foods, you will learn how to lay it out, and how to get the most bang for your caloric buck. I'm not saying this is easy, but nothing about WLS is easy. If you are thinking that once the surgery is done, that you are home free, please think again. It's a HUGE adjustment, and a 1500 calorie per day "diet" for a few months is pretty generous. If you read through some of these forums, you'll see a lot more stringent pre-op diet protocols than that.

Hang in there......it's worth it!

I had to do the 6 month doctor supervised weight loss also for my insurance. I too was put on a 1500 calorie diet. I would try and do it and give up after a couple of days. I was losing 1-2 pounds a month until I quit smoking after 22 years of being a smoker and gained 10 pounds. I lost some of that but overall I didn't lose any weight. However, I was able to start walking and exercising which is something I hadn't been able to do before because I would get so out of breathe. My insurance recently approved my surgery though!! (Aug 9th Yay!!) I've increased my walking to 5-6 days a week and knowing my pre-op diet is two weeks away I'm starting to really limit my calories. I wouldn't stress about the 1500 calorie diet. We wouldn't be wanting the lap-band if we could do it on our own!! I would take small steps and focus on other behaviors also. For me that was quitting smoking, start exercising, increase Water intake, cut back on caffiene and limit alcohol. Good luck!! These 4-5 months will go by before you know it!

yep I track my calories now and I had surgery in Jan... I hate the word diet too but I'm really happy that the band allows me to eat healthy... I don't feel deprived but I am determined to maintain a healthy weight and not get back into bad habits...

Im sorry, not trying to be insensitive...but I would die to eat 1500. I eat approximately 800-900. Avg for bandsters is 900-1200 depending on activity level. This is actually a good transition for you so when you dip down further it won't be such a shock or as difficult... (daydreaming what an extra 600 cals would be) :)

Are you female? Doesn't say in your profile, but I'm thinking.....yes. If you are, 1500 calories per day is pretty generous.

At some point, you are going to be responsible for tracking what you eat. Maybe, instead of strongly resisting this part of the preparation, use it to learn how to account for what you consume. Even when banded, you're going to have to keep tabs on your calories and Protein intake.

As you get more familiar with how many calories and Protein are in certain foods, you will learn how to lay it out, and how to get the most bang for your caloric buck. I'm not saying this is easy, but nothing about WLS is easy. If you are thinking that once the surgery is done, that you are home free, please think again. It's a HUGE adjustment, and a 1500 calorie per day "diet" for a few months is pretty generous. If you read through some of these forums, you'll see a lot more stringent pre-op diet protocols than that.

Hang in there......it's worth it!

Yes I am female and trust me, I may not have said much but I have read plenty on here within the last 7 months before I even joined so I def know what I am facing. However the "sweet" thing about the band is that it has the potential to help with hunger sensations as well as Portion Control. Plus the whole thought of messing up what was set in place by the surgery itself is motivation enough to do the right thing. Although I had my moment I have managed to stay in line and I don't plan on steering off track any time soon. But like many many others have stated, if DIETING was easy and manageable, NONE of us would be here. I do thank you for your response and support, though!

Im sorry, not trying to be insensitive...but I would die to eat 1500. I eat approximately 800-900. Avg for bandsters is 900-1200 depending on activity level. This is actually a good transition for you so when you dip down further it won't be such a shock or as difficult... (daydreaming what an extra 600 cals would be) :)

Wow! But by being banded, are you even able to handle 1500 cal??? Even with fills and all I had no idea that anyone would struggle with whatever caloric amounts they were given. Please lmk! I appreciate your honesty!

Yeah, thats the norm. They had me on 1800 and I did not do good by any means and I did kept up with all the appointments and was banded at a higher weight! I'm not saying that would be how it works with you. Most of my PCP appointments were at the same weight as I started, the last month I gained a couple pounds.

I would look into myfitnesspal.com

Wow! But by being banded, are you even able to handle 1500 cal??? Even with fills and all I had no idea that anyone would struggle with whatever caloric amounts they were given. Please lmk! I appreciate your honesty!

LOL! Yeah, you can eat 1500 calories being banded. I had a crappy day yesterday, and ate exactly 1500 calories! Thanks to the plication, I stopped before going any further. You'll learn what foods go through really easy; the foods to avoid!

Yes I am female and trust me, I may not have said much but I have read plenty on here within the last 7 months before I even joined so I def know what I am facing. However the "sweet" thing about the band is that it has the potential to help with hunger sensations as well as Portion Control. Plus the whole thought of messing up what was set in place by the surgery itself is motivation enough to do the right thing. Although I had my moment I have managed to stay in line and I don't plan on steering off track any time soon. But like many many others have stated, if DIETING was easy and manageable, NONE of us would be here. I do thank you for your response and support, though!

Believe me.....I KNOW it's not easy! My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie per day diet for two weeks prior to surgery. I didn't even stick with that; ate more like 1400-1500. And THAT was a stretch.

All of this WILL be much easier once banded (after you go through bandster hell), and 1500 calories will seem like a lot. After my little meltdown yesterday, I felt like my 1500 calories was 4000 calories! That is the beauty of the band (and plication....for me). 1500 calories on a bad day will not cause weight gain, and my need to add those extras got me through a difficult day. Today......back to my usual 1000.

I hate "diets" too, but really, I feel like I still AM dieting. The difference now is, that I'm able to comfortably stick to a lower calorie plan, and not feel hungry all the time.

Throughout my 6 month insurance ordeal I stressed the entire time, worrying about how much I lost in-between visits etc. Well my nutritionist put it very clearly for me in my case. It wasn't entirely about the numbers, it was about my habits and actions more than anything. They put me on a lower calorie intake "diet" so I could start practicing smaller portions, chewing my food more thoroughly, and stop drinking so much during my meals. So look at it this way, the more you try to prepare your self the better you will be after surgery. I did have my ups and downs during my 6 months but I just tried my hardest and was approved. Good that you are making small changes now, that is great! I also used smaller dishes a few times to help with Portion Control. Best Wishes to you, try not to stress and just try your hardest! :D You can do this!! :D

I also did the nutrtionist thing for 6 mos. for insurance. After umpteen diets I already knew what I "should" do. If her magically telling me it again would have made it work I wouldn't have needed the band. It's a double edged sword...lose too much and your BMI won't be high enough to qualify for the band. I jumped through the hoops and added lbs. before surgery. Do stick by whatever plan you have to go on for the 2 weeks before surgery. It gets the liver out of the way. With surgery as the daylight at the end of that tunnel I was able to stick with it. Lost 14 lbs. in the 2 weeks....go figure.

LOL! Yeah, you can eat 1500 calories being banded. I had a crappy day yesterday, and ate exactly 1500 calories! Thanks to the plication, I stopped before going any further. You'll learn what foods go through really easy; the foods to avoid!

I had no idea but thanks for the advice! I see your ticker and Congrats!! on the loss (and gain I'm sure;0) I wish you more good days than crappy!!

Throughout my 6 month insurance ordeal I stressed the entire time, worrying about how much I lost in-between visits etc. Well my nutritionist put it very clearly for me in my case. It wasn't entirely about the numbers, it was about my habits and actions more than anything. They put me on a lower calorie intake "diet" so I could start practicing smaller portions, chewing my food more thoroughly, and stop drinking so much during my meals. So look at it this way, the more you try to prepare your self the better you will be after surgery. I did have my ups and downs during my 6 months but I just tried my hardest and was approved. Good that you are making small changes now, that is great! I also used smaller dishes a few times to help with Portion Control. Best Wishes to you, try not to stress and just try your hardest! :D You can do this!! :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement!! I really appreciate it! Good luck to you on your banding! I see your profile pic and you are just gorgeous, hun! Knock 'em dead!!!