Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh no! Food Stage Confusion!

I was speaking the truth, nothing more and nothing less. I don't coddle anyone- ever. I simply state the facts regardless if the facts are liked or not.

An honorable trait my friend!

that's exactly why i am going by what the nutrionist planned with before surgery...I am 13 days post op and no food in my future for another 3 weeks , although I do add egg whites, cottage cheese , tomorrow so I am catching up lol.....I have had no desire to add other things to scared its weird....I am really missing my salads though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, it is very strange that we all had the same surgery and we all have different post-opt diet plans.. I wish I had your plan. the only meats I was advised to stay away from bread, Pasta, rice. He said it is known for swelling inside of the stomach and could lead to band slippage. I was pretty bummed out about it. It really limits my choices of food options because once I am back on solids. Right now I am on the liquid diet because I am 6 days post-opt. I will ask my doctor to see what he says about periodically adding a small dosage of rice or tofu noodles.

I wasn't scolding u I only try to make suggestions or help any way that I might know , well keep us informed & good luck ,

yeah, it is very strange that we all had the same surgery and we all have different post-opt diet plans.. I wish I had your plan. the only meats I was advised to stay away from bread, Pasta, rice. He said it is known for swelling inside of the stomach and could lead to band slippage. I was pretty bummed out about it. It really limits my choices of food options because once I am back on solids. Right now I am on the liquid diet because I am 6 days post-opt. I will ask my doctor to see what he says about periodically adding a small dosage of rice or tofu noodles.

Once I get to solid food in a few weeks I dont have any restriction of what I can and can not eat. EXCEPT SODA and other carbonated drinks. They told me never ever ever ever have soda again. Now what my band lets me eat will probably be another story I hard things like rice, Pasta, bread all get stuck! But I am a meat lover thats what I am REALLY looking forward to!

I know what you mean. I just found a delicious approved recipe for orange chicken and broccoli.. I am so excited to try it. I wish everyone a good journey though!!

Every pre op & post op diet seems different so you will probably get enough opinions to make your head explode LOL!! My surgeon had no pre op diet other them Clear Liquids for the 24 hrs prior to operation. As for post up I had to eat either some cottage cheese or tuna salad & cranberrie sauce before leaving the hospital, mushies for 4 weeks & then onto solids.

Mash tatters have lots of carbs and no Protein. Refried Beans do have some carb put good for a protein sources. I did have 2 tablespoons of mash potato. I have also used yams, but both are such a bother to peel and cook and mash, but I bet 2 tablespoons once a week would not hurt, but talk to dietitian before adventuring on.

OK. Sooo on Wednesday I got cleared to eat my pureed food. MY DOCTOR includes the following as OK to eat.

Starch Group

· Hot cereals – oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits

Fruits

· Canned fruits in their own juice or extra light Syrup

· pureed banana

· Unsweetened applesauce

Vegetables

· Cook the vegetables well and then blenderize

Protein Sources

· Well cooked meat, chicken, turkey – blenderize with broth to get smooth consistency

· Greek yogurt- non fat plain (flavor yourself)

· Beans (kidney, pinto, black, etc.) – cook well and blenderize

· Low-fat refried Beans (no need to blenderize)

· Low-fat cottage cheese – blenderize

· sugar-free puddings

· Low-fat cream Soups – blenderize to a smooth liquid consistency (NO chunks)

OK, now here is my soft food list not to start until 2 more weeks.

Starches

· Mashed potatoes

o Add unflavored Protein powder to “beef” up

· pudding

· Baked or sweet potatoes

· oatmeal (Weight Control Variety has most protein)

Protein Sources

· Finely Ground tuna (possibly as tuna salad with low-fat mayo or a red-wine vinaigrette)

· chicken or Egg salad (with low-fat mayo)

· Shrimp (start with salad shrimp – the smaller, the more tolerable) and Scallops

· Whitefish, Haddock, Cod, and Mahi Mahi (make sure to keep moist by not overcooking)

· Fat-Free Refried Beans (mashed really well)

· Other Bean Varieties (mashed really well)

· Greek Yogurt (non fat plain)

· Cottage cheese – sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon for a new taste!

· Ricotta Cheese – layer with meat spaghetti sauce for a “pastaless” lasagna!

· Hard Boiled eggs

· Shredded Cheese – spread over beans for a new zest!

Fruits and Vegetables

· Vegetables that are well-cooked, but not pureed (try to avoid stringy veggies)

· Fruits packed in their own juice or extra light syrup (Del Monte Carb Clever is lowest in sugar)

· Low-Fat Salsa – use to flavor beans and other meat

now my question for the experienced bandster is this. If I can eat things like refried beans on my pureed diet why not mashed potatoes, some consistency if not thicker!

Well at any rate I used my logic ( which is not good logic apparently ) before looking at the soft food list and ate mashed potatoes as well as mac and cheese (the really aldente kind) yesterday and today with ZERO problems. What do you guys think? No more or what? Do you think I did damage in those 2 days?

I NEED ANSWERSSSSSSSSSS

thanks!

The reason (IMO) is that beans are high in Protein. If your Doc said they are OKI then they are OK, I would eat the low fat variety!

I didn't even have a liquid diet post op. First day was liquid. Next day was mushies. Then advance as tolerated. Each Dr is different. I agree wit h everyone else. Follow YOUR doc's orders! You will make it!

I got my band on the 20th in a week later I was hungry like I never had it done

, Everyones band is different, so like me you may be able to eat meat and rice, potatoes and Pasta too. Also I can eat pineapple , celery , apples etc. I can only eat a small amount of them before im full if im in the green zone. The only things I really have trouble with is raw broccoli, (major stuck and then .........well , it wasn't pretty !) and dry chicken breast and dry pork chops. Im having steak right now with baked Beans, no problems ! Good luck !

I doubt you hurt anything and I don't understand why refried Beans are OK and mashed potatoes aren't either? As far as consuming potatoes and mac and cheese, both may be OK right now but once you heal they aren't a good food choice. Neither has a lot of nutrients and if you fill up on Protein foods you may not want them anyway?

It's also possible that your doctor is trying to steer you towards more Protein rich foods over processed foods or potatoes. There are so many more protein choices in two weeks vs. now.

tmf

I would say that is, most likely, exactly why they are not on the list. HIGH starch (read: High sugar). Little to no nutritional value. Trust me.. I'm not perfect, or else I wouldn't be here hanging with all of y'all. LOL. But, I do know nutrition. So.. yeah...

I would say that is, most likely, exactly why they are not on the list. HIGH starch (read: High sugar). Little to no nutritional value. Trust me.. I'm not perfect, or else I wouldn't be here hanging with all of y'all. LOL. But, I do know nutrition. So.. yeah...

Mashed Potatoes are on the list (soft food list). Potato Soup was also on my liquid diet list. They are on the next stage, so that doesn't make sense :/ ( in regards to the doc trying to get me away from starches )

I got my band on the 20th in a week later I was hungry like I never had it done

I hear you. I had mine done on the 19th of June. I was on soft foods after a week. I am sooo hungry and the Protein shakes just don't do it for me. I've been mixing in Proteins like chicken and chewing them very well. But I feel like you. I don't feel much different than before the surgery. I have no fill so I CAN eat like before. The biggest struggle is trying to get away from the old way of living. But it's a lifestyle. Sometimes I have to enjoy a food and then try harder the next day. But I normally try to stick pretty close to the diet. Hang in there. Bandster he'll is rough. I have until August first until I have a fill.