Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Restriction HELP

I got my surgery 5 months ago and since then Ive had 4 fills. I'm currently at 6.5 cc's. I feel no restriction and no different as to before surgery. I've lost 30lbs but I feel its only because I've really been pushing myself and began running 4 miles up steep hills 5 days a week and I limit myself on portions but find myself feeling hungry often. I got the band as a big aid in helping me lose weight but its saddening to feel like its been useless for me. I cut off so much food out of my life and changed my eating habits on my own. I feel like I can lose track at any moment and gain weight again. My bands max is 10 cc's and I was told average weight loss is 10lbs a month but that hasn't been my case and I'm starting to feel anxious and helpless. Anyone else out there experience my same issue?

You've lost 30 lbs in five months? You should be very proud of that! Not sure where you got the 10 lbs per month number from-average loss with a well adjusted band is 1-2 lbs per week-which you have accomplished.

Stop beating yourself up. You are doing great!!!

All of the skills you are using to lose right now will help you in the long run, when you finally do get restriction.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint...

I got my surgery 5 months ago and since then Ive had 4 fills. I'm currently at 6.5 cc's. I feel no restriction and no different as to before surgery. I've lost 30lbs but I feel its only because I've really been pushing myself and began running 4 miles up steep hills 5 days a week and I limit myself on portions but find myself feeling hungry often. I got the band as a big aid in helping me lose weight but its saddening to feel like its been useless for me. I cut off so much food out of my life and changed my eating habits on my own. I feel like I can lose track at any moment and gain weight again. My bands max is 10 cc's and I was told average weight loss is 10lbs a month but that hasn't been my case and I'm starting to feel anxious and helpless. Anyone else out there experience my same issue?

Does your surgeon check the band to actually see how much Fluid is in it ? I have heard stories of "leaks" or problems with the tubing. Remember not to compare yourself with any other bander- it's very individual. Doesn't sound like your in the green Zone yet. Talk with your surgeon - what does he/she say? I have 6.5 in my band and it took awhile to get there and in the green zone. Maybe an appt will shed some light on what's going on. Good luck to you- you can do it!

It took me 6 fills to reach the green zone. Keep getting fills to you feel satisfied with less food. 30 lbs/5 mos is average.

Calm down, if nothing else, you are getting healthier! You seem to be ontrack. Best wishes. Karen

Do you use a food tracker? Like myfitnesspal...

If not a big suggestion would be to sign up now!

I have over 14cc in my 14cc band. Some people just have lean stomachs, at least on the inside, and this just means the band will need more Fluid for good restriction. A leak is always a possibility but be wary of having your fluid drawn out, checked, and put back in because this can cause swelling just like a normal fill can. I made the mistake of having my fluid drawn out to see how much was there and then adding extra at the same time. That was a big mistake and it made me too tight.

I'm new to this so I haven't yet figured out how to use it and respond to each of you but I'd like to thank you all for your advice and help. I guess I was beating myself up because I was comparing myself to my sister that was banded 2 years ago and she lost 70lbs in her first 4 months. I'm a lot healthier than what I've ever been and that's a good place to be in. On my last adjustment the nurse drained my Fluid and made sure there wasn't a leak which there wasn't. I'm just hoping on my next fill in 4 weeks that I finally feel a restriction.

Yes I feel like I experienced the same type of thing I was banded in August 2012 and really I did not lose much of anything in the first 5 months and it has been off and off slow since and I have had 5 or 6 fills? So many I forgot and i think i am at 6.3 cc in a 10cc band which to me is crazy even my nurses said yeah it is a bit longer than normal to be starting to lose and I get the sense that they are a little nervous putting more in. At the 6cc mark you could tell. And thanks GuyMontag never looked at it like I have a leaner stomach haha haven't been told that in the long time.

But here I am now for the last couple of months I feel like I am on track but again the band will lossen (loss of weight) and I will need to go in again for another fill and once I do..... boom I am on track again.

There were many times I felt like a failure "I was going to be the one that spent all this money for nothing" and the one person I told was not getting it but neither was I.

Hang in you will know when it starts working and you will not have to work as much either it will be your friend but keep up on fills even go in and talk to them if you aren't sure. I doubted many times going in cause I really thought I can't possibly need that much Fluid but I do.