Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm new to this forum and my surgery is scheduled for mid-July. I decided to do this after struggling with my weight for 20 years. When I was 23 (20 years ago), I "got" PCOS ("Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome") and gained 50-60 pounds in about 6 months (which is a typical symptom of when women initially "get" PCOS) and then more after that over the years (I think the extra weight was from depression and laziness stemming from the weight). Until PCOS, I had a great shape. The doctors didn't know much about PCOS then and it took about 6 years and 7 doctors to finally diagnose me correctly. Unfortunately, there is really nothing they can do for PCOS but "kind of" treat it (off-label) like Diabetes. I have tried every diet, potion, pill, etc over the 20 years and work out (aggressively) and my weight has fluctuated but my lowest is still was a good 40-50 pounds from where I "should" be. I've decided to do the LapBand after talking with a friend and seeing her amazing results. She is 3 years out and has lost (and kept off) about 80 pounds and looks AMAZING! Like a size 4/6?

I'm writing all of this to ask if anyone else on here has PCOS and if they have had success with weight loss post-WLS regardless of their PCOS. I have read that when/if you can lose the weight, the PCOS will be resolved.... but that is the Catch 22, isn't it? So if any of you ladies on here have any success stories regarding PCOS and WLS - I'd love to hear them. There is a small part of me that is doubtful that this will work given the last 20 years... but then again, I've never done anything this drastic either. The doctors seem to think I will lose the 40-50 I want to lose and quickly. I hope (and pray) so! Its funny - when I go to see the doctor, they keep saying that I'm "small" and that I have a "low BMI". Hum... weird to hear since I don't identify with that for the last 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any success you can share! This forum has been very informative and encouraging.

Hello :) Here's my story. All my life I've been overweight and also have irregular periods (every 40-even 90d). In 2002 got married and we tried for baby1 that same month. Conceived immediately and naturally. I was approx. 200 lb. Gained too much w/ that baby and never lost much afterwards. 3 yrs later we try for baby2 w/ false assumptions it would be as easy. Wrong! Was diagnosed with PCOS. Tried a variety of meds to conceive and finally did after 2 rounds of clomid. Conception was highly unlikely otherwise. I was approx. 230#. After his delivery, PCOS wasn't something to treat. My periods were still irregular but no other symptoms. This just became something to deal w/ when I wanted to conceive. 2 yr later we try for baby 3. Just as we figured, we did not conceive naturally. Ended up going as far as IUI to no avail. After 6 months of nonstop labs, u/s, self injected meds etc. I was resolved to the fact we would have no more kids-it became a huge emotional drain trying. I'm about 235-40 lbs at this point, still irreg. periods. Shortly after I decided to get the band (Nov 2009) at a high of 250. One year later husband wants to try again for a baby. I've lost over 50 lbs at this point. I was not eager to jump into that emotional rollercoaster, so I said.. we can try naturally. But if it didn't work I wasn't going to do meds and other procedures. We tried one time LITERALLY before he had to travel out of country. Boy wasn't he surprised when I called him while he was away to inform him I was pregnant. This is what a mere 50 lb weight loss can do. Mind you, this is with aging etc, so the real variable was the weight. The band will work regardless of having PCOS. And lose enough weight you may discover your PCOS will no longer serve as a barrier (ie fertility, resistant wl) etc. You are making the right decision

Hi! I also have PCOS and Graves' disease, which is a thyroid issue. At my highest, I weighed 291, and I now weigh 220. I am just past my one year mark of surgery. I do consider this a success, although I would like to still lose 10-20 more pounds.

My biggest issue is that I am a sugar addict. Literally. I'm struggling to keep it out of my diet because if I let it in, I cannot have it in moderation. However, I'm not sure if that's related to PCOS, or just my makeup.

I wish you the best on your journey! Keep us posted!

Thank you both for sharing your stories with PCOS and your successes. I just read in a book where the WLS can reverse PCOS - which is so good to hear in that it has seemed like an uphill battle and "which came first" the PCOS or the weight. Clearly the weight but then I think it just became a vicious cycle. I'm hoping to lose 45-50 pounds and keep it off.... forever. It has robbed me of the last 20 years and I'm not about to let it rob me of any more. My surgery is scheduled for the 17th. I've proven to myself that I can do routine exercise (was even doing Crossfit five times per week) and eat well (Paleo lifestyle and cut "bad" carbs) - I just need this boost to get some results.

I had PCOS before having weight loss surgery and after lossing close to 100lbs I started getting regular again and was able to have a baby which i had tried so hard for about 5 years. I no longer have PCOS just the facal hair wont go away but im regular again :) good luck

Hello! I'm new to this forum and my surgery is scheduled for mid-July. I decided to do this after struggling with my weight for 20 years. When I was 23 (20 years ago), I "got" PCOS ("Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome") and gained 50-60 pounds in about 6 months (which is a typical symptom of when women initially "get" PCOS) and then more after that over the years (I think the extra weight was from depression and laziness stemming from the weight). Until PCOS, I had a great shape. The doctors didn't know much about PCOS then and it took about 6 years and 7 doctors to finally diagnose me correctly. Unfortunately, there is really nothing they can do for PCOS but "kind of" treat it (off-label) like Diabetes. I have tried every diet, potion, pill, etc over the 20 years and work out (aggressively) and my weight has fluctuated but my lowest is still was a good 40-50 pounds from where I "should" be. I've decided to do the LapBand after talking with a friend and seeing her amazing results. She is 3 years out and has lost (and kept off) about 80 pounds and looks AMAZING! Like a size 4/6?

I'm writing all of this to ask if anyone else on here has PCOS and if they have had success with weight loss post-WLS regardless of their PCOS. I have read that when/if you can lose the weight, the PCOS will be resolved.... but that is the Catch 22, isn't it? So if any of you ladies on here have any success stories regarding PCOS and WLS - I'd love to hear them. There is a small part of me that is doubtful that this will work given the last 20 years... but then again, I've never done anything this drastic either. The doctors seem to think I will lose the 40-50 I want to lose and quickly. I hope (and pray) so! Its funny - when I go to see the doctor, they keep saying that I'm "small" and that I have a "low BMI". Hum... weird to hear since I don't identify with that for the last 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any success you can share! This forum has been very informative and encouraging.

I was diagnosed when I was 18. I have decided to have the surgery on July 5 . I have lost and gained weight before . When I lost a tremendous amt of weight my cycles became regular . But when I gained it back the cycles stopped. . Being a newlywed we want to start trying for a baby do I'm praying the this surgery will eliminate my pcos

Thanks everyone for the feedback. PCOS really stinks - makes losing weight similar to a pushing a ball up a hill - so I'm hoping that this WLS will do the trick as it seems to have with so many others. I'm ready!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. PCOS really stinks - makes losing weight similar to a pushing a ball up a hill - so I'm hoping that this WLS will do the trick as it seems to have with so many others. I'm ready!

I have PCOS as well and it should do it. When I lost a significant amt if weight before , my cycle became regular!

When I was 20 or so I was diagnosed with Pcos and I rarely had a menstrual cycle. I was about 260 lbs and miserable. I had all the horrible sytems that came along with having Pcos: facial hair, dark Patches on skin, diabetes and more. But thank God I got banded in November 2012 and since then I've lost 80lbs. For the past three mos I've been having my regular menstrual cycle and bye bye dark spots. I've been really happy and grateful to my band it literally gave me my life back. Oh and btw I don't have diabetes any more either. If you keep up with your eating and exercise the band will help you tremendously. It worked for me. Best if luck to you.

Hi all! I have PCOS too, I was diagnosed 10 years ago when I started to have weird periods, facial hair, dry skin and gained 60 pounds. After 10 years of many failures trying to loose my extra weight, I decided to get banded 2 months ago because I'm planning to have a family soon and it was going to be extra hard with my weight. I was not that big when I got banded (BMI 31) but just thinking about all the failures trying to loose weight in the past makes me tired haha. Also I have insuline resistant, which is associated with PCOS. This disease really sucks but the doctor took all my meds away the day I got banded and my "cure" will be take all this extra weight off. So far so good :) and good luck to all if you!

Hi all! I have PCOS too' date=' I was diagnosed 10 years ago when I started to have weird periods, facial hair, dry skin and gained 60 pounds. After 10 years of many failures trying to loose my extra weight, I decided to get banded 2 months ago because I'm planning to have a family soon and it was going to be extra hard with my weight. I was not that big when I got banded (BMI 31) but just thinking about all the failures trying to loose weight in the past makes me tired haha. Also I have insuline resistant, which is associated with PCOS. This disease really sucks but the doctor took all my meds away the day I got banded and my "cure" will be take all this extra weight off. So far so good :) and good luck to all if you![/quote']

Lolarose13 - Thank you for sharing your story with PCOS! Sound like my story - except I've been dealing with it for 20 years. My BMI is "relatively" low as well (31) and I'm "insulin resistant" AND I'm tired of being "fat". Its robbed 20 years of my life/history and I recently realized that I've removed myself from history in that I RARELY allow pictures of me for last 20 years because of the weight. I've heard others say that they've been able to get off all their PCOS meds and with the weight loss, they don't have PCOS anymore. I'm PRAYING that this works! I am SO fearful that it won't "work". I go for my first pre-op with my surgeon today (Wednesday) and I hope he can share some light on other patients in similar situation that have been successful. My surgery is next Wednesday (17th). So you had WLS two months ago - how is it going? How was it? How much have you lost? How much do you want to lose? Thanks for sharing!

Lolarose13 - Thank you for sharing your story with PCOS! Sound like my story - except I've been dealing with it for 20 years. My BMI is "relatively" low as well (31) and I'm "insulin resistant" AND I'm tired of being "fat". Its robbed 20 years of my life/history and I recently realized that I've removed myself from history in that I RARELY allow pictures of me for last 20 years because of the weight. I've heard others say that they've been able to get off all their PCOS meds and with the weight loss' date=' they don't have PCOS anymore. I'm PRAYING that this works! I am SO fearful that it won't "work". I go for my first pre-op with my surgeon today (Wednesday) and I hope he can share some light on other patients in similar situation that have been successful. My surgery is next Wednesday (17th). So you had WLS two months ago - how is it going? How was it? How much have you lost? How much do you want to lose? Thanks for sharing![/quote']

Hey ladies! I just got banded as well. I have PCOS as well and would like to start a family . I hope and pray the weight loss solves my issue with it. I know that it will for all of us. I haven't seen an endocrinologist in over 5 years. My doctor gave me a pic of my band and I'm framing it because I believe it has saved my life !

Lolarose13 - Thank you for sharing your story with PCOS! Sound like my story - except I've been dealing with it for 20 years. My BMI is "relatively" low as well (31) and I'm "insulin resistant" AND I'm tired of being "fat". Its robbed 20 years of my life/history and I recently realized that I've removed myself from history in that I RARELY allow pictures of me for last 20 years because of the weight. I've heard others say that they've been able to get off all their PCOS meds and with the weight loss, they don't have PCOS anymore. I'm PRAYING that this works! I am SO fearful that it won't "work". I go for my first pre-op with my surgeon today (Wednesday) and I hope he can share some light on other patients in similar situation that have been successful. My surgery is next Wednesday (17th). So you had WLS two months ago - how is it going? How was it? How much have you lost? How much do you want to lose? Thanks for sharing!

In 2 months post-op, 18 pounds. For me is a little slow, but progress is progress anyways. I was involved in a car accident (my first accident ever :() so I can not exercise at all for at least a couple of months, and I'm going to Physical Therapy, so I guess I'm taking it a little more easy that I was expecting it. I had my second fill a week ago, and it's helping! the first fill was nothing, and before this second one I was really hungry and feeling not banded at all. The begining of post-op was super hard! but at least I didn't gained any weight, and you ladies know that with PCOS you eat anything and next day you gained 2 pounds. I'm hopeful for the future!

I was first diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 18 years old, this was around 1992. At that time, little was known about PCOS. I was basically prescribed birth control pills to regulate my periods. I think I was probably around 200 lbs then. I actually participated in a clinical trial at a research hospital where they were researching the use of metformin to treat PCOS (yes, it's been a while:/).

Gradually, the weight gain, painful acne, facial hair, diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides snowballed. All that became complicated by clinical depression.

By the time I was 30, I weighed more than 300 lbs. I could not understand why I continually failed at weight loss attempts. I had graduated colleges with honors, earned a Masters Degree, and excelled in my career....I knew I was not lazy nor ignorant, but I could not succeed with weight loss no matter how hard I tried.

The depression spiraled out of control and I generally stopped caring about my health, defeated.

At 32 years old, I topped the scales at 333lbs. Then I began having long, heavy periods which was my body screaming that something was wrong...endometrial cancer.

In 2006 I had a complete hysterectomy at age 32. Single, no children, devastated. Then came medical menopause.

I eventually began to feel better and was able to lose down to about 265 on my own with diet and exercise, but it was a hard, hard struggle.

From 2008 until 2012 I bounced around on the scale from 265 to 280 or so. My diabetes was out of control, cholesterol very high.

I had lap band surgery in March, 2013 weighing 258. Today I weigh 222. My recent lab work revealed excellent control of the diabetes, cholesterol that is only slightly elevated. My skin/complexion has never looked better. I sleep so good at night and wake up rested. I want to lose down to about 180.

I don't have periods any more due to the surgery, but I do feel that the WLS has helped to alleviate the PCOS symptoms.

PCOS is more than just a disease of infertility. It affects your whole body and your whole life. It is nothing to deny or to play around with. Oh how I wish I had the information years ago that I have now. I would have had lap band surgery years ago.

The lifestyle for wls still requires work and conscious decisions to make your health a priority, but the difference for me is that the work I put in actually yields results!

Yesterday I bought a size 18 pants when it wasn't too long ago I barely squeezed into a 28. The NSVs are great too!

I know that was a long post, but I hope it helps someone.