Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My NSV At Dress Barn

I have a family wedding to go to this Saturday. I found a dress in the back of my closet that I thought would be fine to wear. Today I had lunch with a friend I have not seen in a while. She was telling me that she went to Dress Barn and got some nice outfits for her son's graduation. I have never been to Dress Barn, so on the way home I decided to stop and see if they had something inexpensive I could wear to the wedding instead of my old boring dress.

I walked in and noticed the store was split in half. The left side was Women's and the right was Misses. I was confused as to what direction to go. I thought I would start with size 16 and if that didn't fit go up to 18. I asked the saleslady what side had size 16. She said the right side goes up to 16. I walked in and looked around pulling out some dresses to try on. I thought what am I doing over here. I can't wear these small cute dresses. These have waists to them! OH, why not I thought and carried my 3 dresses and 1 slack set in case a dress is out of the question to the dressing room.

The first dress I tried on was the display dress. It was black and white and had a white tie belt. Cute and the latest style. I zipped it most the way up but couldn't get that last bit at the top... I didn't know if it was because it was too tight or I just couldn't reach it. I stepped out to find the saleslady. She finished zipping it up. We both looked in the full length mirror...and to my amazement it fit perfectly! I was so pumped I tried on the next one which was a sexy form fitting cutie. Back out to the saleslady, I said this is too much for a wedding. She said no it fit me perfect and looked even better then the first one. Back in I go for #3 dress. This one felt like a nightgown on. Fit but not as nice as the other two. Saleslady agreed with me. Next I tried on the pant suit. Well, I will be darned if that didn't look great too! I bought Dress #1 for church, Dress #2 for the Wedding, and pant suit because I will need something to wear for the trip.

I bought the lot for $120...what a bargain! On the way out, I walked through the Women's size side and said my fairwell to waistless tent dresses. I love my lapband!

Congratulations!! I still find myself heading towards the plus section and have to remind myself that I NEVER have to shop there again!!

Congrats! What an amazing thing it is to shop in the "regular" sizes.

My NSV story: This weekend I grabbed a t-shirt to wear to the gym and realized it was my son's size large, and IT FIT.

I showed my family who all agreed that it accentuated my "feminine" curves and the fact that I now actually have a waist. So, I went to the local mall and shopped in the "misses' section (hadn't shopped there in 17 years and forgot what the section was even called) and bought two size large shirts. Didn't say anything to anyone at work, but got many compliments, 3 from men!

I am down to a size 18 pant now, when the day of surgery I was wearing a 26/28.

I go on my life dream trip to the UK next month and refuse to shop until the weekend before I go, hoping to have a 16 pant in my wardrobe.

Yeah for NSV's!

I go on my life dream trip to the UK next month and refuse to shop until the weekend before I go, hoping to have a 16 pant in my wardrobe.

So you aren't shocked like I was, a size 16 US is a size 18 UK. Plus sizes are very hard to find. The only plus size store I found was called Evans. My favorite clothing store is called Monsoon. Beautiful very feminine clothing. Go in if only to look around.

Wow, Mary! How did I miss this thread??

Big congrats on your NSV hun! We want to see pics of you in those cute dresses now! :) :) :)

*hugs*

Mary that was a great story. You write so well too. As you used descriptive words, I walked with you.. imagining racks and sides of the store and even the lady at the dressing room. :)

Gosh, victory tastes sweet huh?

WHOO-HOO! That's great!

And I thought I was the only one who had trouble remembering I don't need the women's section anymore. lol

Again - Congratulations!!! It must feel spectacular. I am so hoping I can join you someday in that discovery.

Thank you everyone! I wore the cute sexy dress to the Wedding Saturday. My husband couldn't keep his eyes off of me. Everyone told me I looked great. Unfortunately my husband forgot to bring his camera. My mom took a picture, but she still uses the 35mm camera. It will take awhile to get my copy.

My sister-in-law noticed my new eating habits and asked me today if I had what her friend had or my stomach stapled. I said "what does your friend have". She pointed at her throat and said "a band thing." I said "you mean a lapband." She said "yes." I said "I had the lapband and it is not in the throat it is in the stomach." She said "I knew you had to have done something because you look great."