Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not dieting. I'm enjoying life with a band.

Love this quote that I read today: "The dieting industry the only profitable business in the world with a 98 percent failure rate."

Each day I wake up so happy that I followed through with my decision to stop traditional dieting and seek a tool with a better track record and longterm success rate: the lapband. I remember in the days leading up to my surgery last March, I was feeling fearful and a voice in my head said "Hey, give Weight Watchers one last chance." Thankfully I stood strong. Had I not, I would be weighing more today than I did three months ago, I am certain of it. Instead, I weigh almost 30 pounds less.

I don't see my banded life as a dieting life. I eat smaller now, and this is "just the way I eat." It's not "until I get the weight off." I don't "fall off the wagon" on vacation, during a holiday, or for someone's wedding, birthday, etc. I love my mindset with its dimmed appetite, and am grateful to my band for taking me from the status of "dieter" to "this is they way I eat now."

AMEN!!!!!

The band will change your life....my problem with being fat and unhealthy was because I ate too much and always the wrong foods....

The band has changed all that.....my portions are totally under control, it is IMPOSSIBLE to overeat.....and I am very rarely hungry or have cravings...24/7, not just some of the time like other people, but all of the time.....so all I need to do is choose good foods to eat...and when you loose weight and exercise you want to eat and be healthy....

What can be easier than that? .......Just letting the band do what it is designed to do....I don't need to count calories, measure portions, or do any of those things I used to do in the past. I had WLS and that has made the difference.

I too read all the time about people "Falling Off The Wagon"....and in all respect to them, I personally do not understand how that can happen...I could if we were talking Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or something....but this is SURGERY....I put all that nonsense that never worked behind me...........it does not matter if I am at a formal dinner....vacation cruise....parties, picnics, ball games....the band is always there...it does not change from place to place.....

This too is how I eat every day, for the rest of my life....I have the same life style today, after loosing all my excess weight, as I did since first starting out in the green 2 years ago...it's not going to change.....

98% Failure rate???? I can believe it!!! I

It has changed me forever.....I have absolutely no fear of ever gaining any weight back again......and "Diet" is just another four letter word.......

YES...IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!

(and don't use the excuse of "Slider" foods....I can go on about how that is BS also)

wonderful posts... yes the diet industry is making millions or perhaps billions . I am sure there are some statistics that show how successful or unsuccessful each program is... I think overall the weight watchers program has been the most successful as far as teaching correct eating habits.. however, I did the weight watchers and was not compliant.. hunger got the best of me.. like B52 says it's wonderful to be able to control your portions and not be on a "diet" everyday... this is the first time in many years that I feel free .. I can eat out, go to family functions and not stress over what to eat and if I will "fall off the wagon".. I have fallen off of so many wagons in the past and have even eaten the wagon.. so I am grateful everyday for my band...

what a wonderful thread parr

add me to this list of the band not (allowing me to overeat)..as if i even get to that stage, i become very uncomfortable and make the decision to stop.. i agree that a person CAN eat better food and NOT make excuses. i feel whole hearted that it basically comes down to the person and their honesty with themselves..i believe in want power. i want to lose weight bad enough that i am doing WHATEVER it takes to make it happen.

its hard to read day after day of people saying the band doesnt work and the band failed and on and on...granted things like complications do happen but i believe a person who went through the process of WLS needs to be responsible for themselves and take charge of the situation at hand...

you eat more calories than you burn off, you will gain weight, WLS or not

the band won't let me eat more than i can burn off

it DOES work...people just need to let it..

What a positive and great thread ! I feel the same. Best decision ever. Living life and enjoying every minute. Being banded has been the best thing for me mentally. I can't believe how this has changed my mindset In so many ways. I feel stronger, confident and for once in a long time I feel pretty :)

Thank you all For your positive outlooks. Love this thread! Amen to everything!

Thanks again B-52. You and several others on this board really have helped me understand the lap band better.

(and don't use the excuse of "Slider" foods....I can go on about how that is BS also)

That certainly has been true for me so far. Sliders fill me up as fast or nearly as fast as solid Proteins.

I have to say, I've kind of been thinking the same thing. I do wonder sometimes when people claim they can gain weight on slider foods if they might be on the edge between yellow and green zone. I certainly hope that is the case. I love slider foods and hate to think that one day the band will fail me in this department. If that happened, I would have to rely on will power to stop myself. Will power never seems to last.

I do not doubt for one minute anyone whose posts are about their struggles and feelings of failures....when it comes to people who have been banded for a few years, have been 100% succesful, then say they started to fail and gain their weight back.....THESE are the posts I pay particular attention to...perhaps as a warning to me, something I need to be carful of....but speaking for myself, I cannot undersatand how this happens....and I hope that day never comes.

As an example, I have been on cruise vacations where food is everywhere....I have thrown caution to the wind and figured I would get back to it when I get home....but I have found that the band still keeps my habits in check...and no matter what I put on my tray at thre buffet, there will always be a limit set by the band...and yes, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, or pouch as is the case, but it doesn't matter.

I've lost weight on cruises because my activity level increases also...

Sliders fill me up quickly...not the same way regular food now does with the band, but because after a few years of eating so little, my normal stomach has shrunk considerably and my abbs have got tighter...just can't eat the way I used to....it's all changed. Give me a pint of ice cream and I will start to get a good old fashioned tummy ache 1/2 way through! So sliders are not an excuse either.

Love this quote that I read today: "The dieting industry the only profitable business in the world with a 98 percent failure rate."

Each day I wake up so happy that I followed through with my decision to stop traditional dieting and seek a tool with a better track record and longterm success rate: the lapband. I remember in the days leading up to my surgery last March, I was feeling fearful and a voice in my head said "Hey, give Weight Watchers one last chance." Thankfully I stood strong. Had I not, I would be weighing more today than I did three months ago, I am certain of it. Instead, I weigh almost 30 pounds less.

I don't see my banded life as a dieting life. I eat smaller now, and this is "just the way I eat." It's not "until I get the weight off." I don't "fall off the wagon" on vacation, during a holiday, or for someone's wedding, birthday, etc. I love my mindset with its dimmed appetite, and am grateful to my band for taking me from the status of "dieter" to "this is they way I eat now."

Love this! One of the best posts I have seen. Thanks for sharing!

I love these posts I am 4 days post op and really excited and a bit scared all at the same time. There is no room for failure this is my chance and it was an expensive one so here we go! i do have one question.. I have never heard the term "slider foods" will someone please explain this to me...

THanks for your great posts experienced banders! :)

Thanks for the inspiration. I have another week to go w pre-op diet and surgery scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I woke up at 4am this morning and asked myself, what in the hell have I got myself in to? ...then realized I was talking from the space of one who overeats and makes poor choices....and all events and activities in life must include large quantities of food. How do you lose cravings? I'm already morning the idea of not being able to eat foods I love.

Thanks for the inspiration. I have another week to go w pre-op diet and surgery scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I woke up at 4am this morning and asked myself, what in the hell have I got myself in to? ...then realized I was talking from the space of one who overeats and makes poor choices....and all events and activities in life must include large quantities of food. How do you lose cravings? I'm already morning the idea of not being able to eat foods I love.

For me, the band works like a nicotine patch works for smokers. My cravings are turned way way down, enough so they don't push me to eat compulsively. In fact, I rarely if ever crave anything; the only time a craving wakes its head is if I trigger it by eating sugar. For me, once I cut out the white carbs (pasta, bread, rice, etc...all things I won't try because I don't want to risk a stuck episode), my cravings went away.

Also, I thought I'd really miss being to eat large (or even normal) amounts of food...after all, long Sunday lunches are part of my lifestyle!

But for me, once banded, my small portions filled me up and the thought of eating more didn't enter my head. Why risk throwing up or feeling uncomfortable?

I found I could still eat the foods I love but I just eat much less of them. But I had the same fear as you are expressing and stupidly spent my pre-op days overeating all the things I thought I'd never taste again. So then I had to go lose the weight I put on prior to surgery, before I could attack the more long-standing fat!

MMMMMMKKMNNNNNN

Sorry for the last "post", computer issues , again ....... Play rider, what makes you think that you can never have your favorite foods again ? Some foods may be an issue like chips or fries because they mush up and expand, but a lot of people have no problems with most of "slider foods", ones that "slide" down easy like cake, candy, Cookies etc. The band , with the right amount of fill, makes you feel fuller quickly so once your stomach is full, you stop thinking about food, healthy or not. When I have the right amount of fill (and this changes with time) I eat a little Protein and veggies or fruit, and then I cant eat anymore. I don't think /obsess about food because im comfortably full on a small amount, and trust me , I have a sweet tooth !! Im banded 18 months now, down from an unhealthy 225 lbs to a healthy 162, goal is 140 ! hopefully soon ! Good luck to all, you can do this !

This is such a great thread to read. Thanks everyone for posting!