Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Confused ... Please help

I just left my surgeons office having just completed my initial consult. He is strongly encouraging me to go with sleeve or bypass due to my high bmi and the possibility for eventual complications with the band. He said they've gone from 80% band procedures to 10% this year.

I'm so confused ... Please help.

First of all realize that many doctors push a certain surgery based on what they simply like to do. Sometimes what's best for your doctor is not what's best for you. Sleeve and bypass are great for doctors because once they do the surgery and have your money they never have to bother with you again. Lapband doctors have to work with their patients for years because of fills and support. I've been banded for over 4 years and I have had a great experience with it. Unfortunately, not everyone that is banded has a great experience but that can be said for any weight loss surgery. If I had to do it over I would definitely consider the sleeve but bypass would be last on my list of considerations.

Remember, you are paying for this or your insurance company is on your behalf. The doctor works for you which means you have the power to get a second opinion and look at all your options. Talk to other doctors and people that have had different surgeries. This is a major decision that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Do not be in such a panic that you make a decision you will regret. Good luck whatever you decide!

^^what GuyMontag said! My dad always made us write a pro and con list when we had big decisions to make...maybe thats a good mental exercise when thinking about what surgery is right for you. Me...I was only going to consider the band. Something about removing parts of my innards didn't sit right with me. That was my personal decision and choice. But...out of 30 people that I started the initial consult with...I was the ONLY one that chose the band. All the rest chose sleeve or bypass. So...it really is something that is a personal decision. Don't let your doctor push you into another option unless you really feel good about it.

Unfortunately, doctors make the most money with Bypass and the Sleeve so we're seeing them pushed more and more often.

Some facts- only 5% of Lap Band patients have complications by no fault of their own. The rest have complications due to their own behavior. What does this mean? It means if you follow the rules and live the way you're supposed to with the band, you have a 95% chance of never having a serious complication.

Here's the study that back up that fact: http://www.futurity.org/health-medicine/weight-stays-off-long-after-lap-band-surgery/

On a more personal note, there are many of us that started off with high BMI's and still got the Lap Band. 17 months ago when I got mine, my BMI was 72. Since then I have lost over 200 pounds and am still losing. I'm not alone either- there are many others out there like me who are living proof you can have a high BMI and still be successful with the band.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

The decision to have and what type of WLS to have are both very personal choices that you must make. Take you doctor's advice to heart. Read, research, get a 2nd opinion, study. Then think about it, talk to a friend or spouse, then make your mind up to do the one you feel you can and the one that you can and will commit to. Bottom like, with out commitment you will not lose weight no matter what type of WLS you have- at least not lose it long term.

Once you have made your decsion, go back and talk to the doc. Tell him/her firmly what you want to do and why. If they can't respect that, find another doctor.

Like Missy said, Lapband profits are much smaller than other WLS methods. The lapband is also more time consuming after surgery and may not be profitable for some docs? Doctors are human too and moving towards more profitable procedures in this high cost healthcare environment could be a wise move for their practice. And don't discount that your doctor may be right and is advising you correctly?

Thanks very much everyone for the informative responses. It's so great to see so much evidence of success in this forum ..

I've got to be honest here. I have lap-band with plication (the plication was added when I had to have a slip repaired). I don't regret my decision to have lap-band at all, and believe that I was partially responsible for the slip by not going back on liquids after my band was irritated following being stuck.

However, I've learned more about the sleeve since a dear friend of mine had sleeve surgery earlier this year. If I was starting this journey all over again, at this point I would opt for the sleeve.

That being said, I would NEVER, EVER have gastric bypass, though, as rearranging things just seems a lot more drastic than simply removing part of the stomach.

Thanks very much everyone for the informative responses. It's so great to see so much evidence of success in this forum ..

By chance are you going through Lahey? My Dr. said the same thing. Made me question my choice. I am in Billerica....I would love to have a local partner to go through this with. My surgery date is 8 July. Lisa

My dr tried to get me to do the bypass because of my high BMI (the sleeve is not covered by my military insurance). But I stuck to my guns...and look at me now....123 pounds lighter in 1 yr..Yeah, the band works if you work the band. Just my opinion. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

One thing I did was talk to my internal medicine doctor and the endrocinologist after my initial consult with the surgeon. Both of them had recommended me to go to the surgeon to get a lap band and I had come back to them after the presentation convinced I should do a Gastric Bypass. Both of them then basically said that it was not warranted in my case and got me back on track to get the band.

They both said that more aggressive approaches can be tried later if required. Also I have been going to both the doctors for years and they have other patients with WLS surgeries to they did have an unbiased opinion I could rely on.

Even with the complication I am seeing, with a possible slip, I do not regret that decision. I have lost a lot of weight and believe I can work through my issues.

Best of luck with your decision and your journey.

I personally would be hesitant to have a procedure (any procedure) by a surgeon who does not 100% recommend it ..and that goes double for the lap-band, where success is majorly dependent on correct installation. As others have said, a lot of docs prefer sleeve and/or by-pass because of the difference in after care, so IF you decide that your best bet is the band, I would consider looking for a surgeon who backs up your choice and is willing to work with you after the cutting and banding is done...

By chance are you going through Lahey? My Dr. said the same thing. Made me question my choice. I am in Billerica....I would love to have a local partner to go through this with. My surgery date is 8 July. Lisa

I'm using Dr Papasavas ... Interesting that your Dr said the same thing. Actually my niece got the sleeve last August (different Dr) and originally planned to get the band.

I can certainly be a local partner. Just not sure what route I'm going at this point ...

I personally would be hesitant to have a procedure (any procedure) by a surgeon who does not 100% recommend it ..and that goes double for the lap-band, where success is majorly dependent on correct installation. As others have said, a lot of docs prefer sleeve and/or by-pass because of the difference in after care, so IF you decide that your best bet is the band, I would consider looking for a surgeon who backs up your choice and is willing to work with you after the cutting and banding is done...

The surgeon I met with today made it very clear that he would support me 100% with whatever decision I make. He recommended by 2 other doctors I've used for years and trust.

I've been reading up on the sleeve and while it seems very effective when everything goes right, it seems like complications (leaks) can turn into serious issues with long recovery times.

The band still seems like the right procedure for me but my doctors feedback and the industry trends are of concern.

I think it's down to the band or nothing for me ...