Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel about kids under age 18 having WLS? I hate to see kids growing up obese, suffering bullying and health problems and social problems, but I'm not sure I was mature enough as a kid to make all the lifestyle changes that WLS requires. What do you think?

Just like with adults, a case by case issue. Based on what I see here, there are a lot of adults who aren't mature enough for WLS, and I am sure there are some kids who are.

I think they need a much stronger support system than adult might need. So if both parents aren't going to commit to helping the child as well as other family members then it would be hard for the child to succeed.

I believe I could have done with the support of my family. But, like Tara-U said, I do not believe a teen could handle it with out the support of family. If the teen is very social, then it might be even harder.

I wasn't wild as a teen. I had a very small close group of friends, who I still keep in touch with. My parents were supportive of my weight loss, so I believe I could have handled it.

If a teen goes to a doctor about WLS, I think the doctor must do his/her due diligence and make sure the teen has a good support system, or they are setting them up for failure.

I think its a case by case basis. I know, for me, it took me until I was 40 to commit and embrace the problems with weight and what I had to do to change this. I feel like I tried too many ways to lose the weight before that having the surgery was a last chance for me. There was NO way I was ready for this sort of commitment when I was a teenager. With that said, I was overweight as a teen...not obese. Had I been morbidly obese as young as 16, 17....perhaps it may have been a different story.

Just like with adults, a case by case issue. Based on what I see here, there are a lot of adults who aren't mature enough for WLS, and I am sure there are some kids who are.

This is so true!

I see supposed adults on here that I swear have the maturity and common sense of a 13 year old. Likewise, I've seen a teen or two on here that were very mature and level headed about their decision to have WLS.

I think it needs to be a case by case basis, dependent on their level of maturity, support at home, and how obese they are.

This is so true!

I see supposed adults on here that I swear have the maturity and common sense of a 13 year old. Likewise, I've seen a teen or two on here that were very mature and level headed about their decision to have WLS.

I think it needs to be a case by case basis, dependent on their level of maturity, support at home, and how obese they are.

agree with missy comment 100%

agree with this post all the way

If only WLS was an option for me back when I was 13 or 14. I imagine I could/would be a very different person today. My self esteem would be different. Maybe less shy and perhaps I would not have hated School so much and who knows what could've been. I was 150 pounds in 5th grade. I was teased a lot and was the heaviest kid in my class. I can even remember the gym teacher snickering when he weighed me. I dreaded School and did not have many friends. I often thought my biggest problem in my life at the time was my weight and suicide thoughts came and went and if it weren't for my family I don't know if I'd be here typing this.

I agree it is a case by case situation but I think it would require a full staff of Docs, Nurses, Nutritionists and Counselors with full involvement of parents.

I think its a case by case basis. I know, for me, it took me until I was 40 to commit and embrace the problems with weight and what I had to do to change this. I feel like I tried too many ways to lose the weight before that having the surgery was a last chance for me. There was NO way I was ready for this sort of commitment when I was a teenager. With that said, I was overweight as a teen...not obese. Had I been morbidly obese as young as 16, 17....perhaps it may have been a different story.

This was me too. I was overweight, but not morbidly obese...I also wasn't bullied about my weight and had a good friend support system....so maybe I would have thought differently if I had a different experience growing up?

I do, however thing its crucial for the family to rally if this is a choice made for a child. It would require a huge lifestyle change for everyone and not just the child. And I think counseling of some sort should be mandatory...teenage emotions can be so overwhelming and I can't imagine what the stress/anxiety of WLS might do to those that are still maturing...

Just look at all of the kids are having all sorts of cosmetic surgery just to soothe their insecurities!

But, I think that someone should be at least 18 years old, and be required to undergo the pysch evaluations, etc. to be sure they understand the risks and that it is a lifetime commitment... and to ensure they are doing the surgery for the right reason! i.e. Not to impress a new boy or girlfriend.

This is so true!

I see supposed adults on here that I swear have the maturity and common sense of a 13 year old.

I think some of that has to be blamed on the absence of or inadequacy of pre-op psych evaluations.

If only WLS was an option for me back when I was 13 or 14. I imagine I could/would be a very different person today. My self esteem would be different. Maybe less shy and perhaps I would not have hated School so much and who knows what could've been. I was 150 pounds in 5th grade. I was teased a lot and was the heaviest kid in my class. I can even remember the gym teacher snickering when he weighed me. I dreaded School and did not have many friends. I often thought my biggest problem in my life at the time was my weight and suicide thoughts came and went and if it weren't for my family I don't know if I'd be here typing this.

I agree it is a case by case situation but I think it would require a full staff of Docs, Nurses, Nutritionists and Counselors with full involvement of parents.

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my gym teacher weighed and measured the height of every kid (boys & girls) in my class. When she was done, she announced to the class that Jean was the shortest and heaviest student in the class.

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my gym teacher weighed and measured the height of every kid (boys & girls) in my class. When she was done, she announced to the class that Jean was the shortest and heaviest student in the class.

You know what's funny? My first year of junior high, the gym teacher started doing exactly that. I flat out REFUSED to get on the scale. She tried to demand on get on- I told her that she wasn't my doctor or my parent so it wasn't her business what I weighed.

Of course, she called my parents to complain. Thankfully, my dad totally stuck up for me. He told her it wasn't any of her or the school's business what I weighed and that she needed to back off me.

I never did get on the scale year at school- or any other year.

My dad was (and still is!) so awesome :)