Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell nosy people?

It is truly none of their business.

It is truly none of their business.

Ever seen that show, "dance moms"? That is the type of parents I deal with on a daily basis :/ lol

I am a teacher and dance team coach. I will have to tell the parents of my dancers "something" bc I'm returning to coaching just four days after surgery. I don't really want to disclose what type of surgery I'm having with them. Any suggestions? Same with when school starts and I have to sign out early for follow ups with my doc. I need a story to "stick to" for nosy parents and coworkers...

Hernia operation, gallbladder operation, ingrown toe nail operation, thyroid check ups, anything you want or nothing at all. I hate that I have to make up excuses but I hate I hate nosy people even more.. I only told 3 people so far besides my hubby and kids.

You could blame it on your thyroid or galbladder' date=' but my mother always warned us against telling "white lies" regarding our health and that of our family members. I would suggest just saying it's a personal health matter that requires diligence and attention. If they question how you seem to be melting away, let them know that your current health situation required you to make drastic changes in terms of eating and exercise. Don't say it's something that it's not...karma is a mofo and you don't want the thing you blame it on to manifest and actually become an issue.[/quote']

I think a lie is actually telling something untruthful to someone who deserves to know the truth. I don't believe in karma, I don't think the universe will punish you for trying to keep personal business personal.

A partial truth should work, your having gastrointestinal surgery. Which in a way it is. Then when they notice you loosing weight, it was part of your rehabilitation to improve your health. Your not lying but "keeping it real" as my students would say. Good luck.

OH MAN! I don't envy you in that job...lol BUT High-five to you that you can deal with Dance mom's ;) ...lol

no matter what you tell them, they will make up their own version of what's going on ;) ..Good Luck on your journey~

I would just say' date=' I had some personal medical issues I had to deal with.

If they ask what kinda of issue, I'd say personal issues. They should get the point.

Do not feel obligated to tell anyone, anything. When you start losing weight, simply say, I've been working hard with diet and exercise trying to get healthy. There's no lie in that.[/quote']

I like this answer!!! :)

OH MAN! I don't envy you in that job...lol BUT High-five to you that you can deal with Dance mom's ;) ...lol

no matter what you tell them' date=' they will make up their own version of what's going on ;) ..Good Luck on your journey~[/quote']

You're absolutely right about them making up their own version of what's going on...lol!!

I had her hubby, Dr. George Fielding. I have not has the pleasure of meeting his other half. I think I always come into the office on her surgery day. He and everyone else speak so highly of her. I actually haven't met the other doctors either now that I come to think of it!

I never met him and like you, I never met the other surgeon's either. I'm happy with her and have had no issues or complications. I haven't needed any fills so I don't know how that goes..I don't even know if the doctor does them or if someone else does them.

When did you have your surgery? I have not seen Dr. Fielding since the surgery, but I'm guessing my band is empty since the first three months is the time to heal and adjust to new eating behaviors. He also says eat what you like, but please eat slow. What does Dr. Ren say?

I was banded mid January. I saw Dr. Ren every month starting in February and only now am seeing her every two months since I'm not getting fills. She didn't really tell me what or how to eat. Despina (one of the nutritionists) told me to eat 3 oz Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies, 1/4 cup carbs. that's what I do and I use the myfitnesspal app to track what I eat. I stay around 1,000 calories a day and that's about it. I eat out plenty....being in the city, I hardly cook. I also pick up prepared food at Citarella's mostly and portion it out and freeze the meals. It's working for me...I've lost 67 lbs.

Oh very cool...well I'm just about 6 months behind you. I have been working with Shannon. I actually live out in western NJ, but I'm in the city quite a bit. My job requires a lot of eating out and a lot of traveling. I have told most of my colleagues (mostly men). They are very sweet and very supportive that I am taking steps to be healthy (which equals productive in my work). I must say I am a bit nervous about venturing out of my home office and into the real world. My next business trip is not until August, but it's far (to Brazil). I hope I'm in the groove by then!

I'm 4 years banded and only very few people know. When I had it done I told the nozzy people at work that I had a hernia and that was it. People would ask me if I had the band and I would tell them that our insurance did not cover. They agreed. ( maybe because they also tried) LOL!! Even my sisters and brother don't even know. This is a tool to help me lose weight so they don't need to be up in my business. But it is hard going out to work related events. I was known as being able to pound the booze without a problem. Now I take it easy as the band has also affected how much alcohol I can handle. Stick with one story and you should be good.