Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone, I've had my band for like 6 months now and I'm doing pretty well. Did anybody encounter issues with oatmeal? I don't eat it too often but I do enjoy it for Breakfast. A couple of days ago I had a small instant pack which I make with milk and I ate it with no problems. Today I made another pack and had to throw up as I got stuck. I didn't eat it too quickly, nor did I take a bigger amount than normal at one time. I got stuck and waited until it down as I didn't need to throw up. Then I tried again after a couple of minutes and at that time I had to throw up. Maybe it wasn't liquid enough? I always make it with milk. Has anybody encountered that they can't eat oatmeal anymore? I'd hate to let it go forever, I do love it.

Some times my band is really finicky, and even in the same day Mistress Band will change her mind about what is willing to accept and what must be rejected.

Each day is a different story. The band tightness for some people is effected by the time of the month. flying, weather, having a cold, ect. As long as you are taking small bites and not eating fast you are doing all you can do to prevent getting stuck.

i had some this a.m. mixed with raisins/cranberries....

i just make mine with Water and go slow..never had any issues

maybe it was a one time/one day thing..

Many people have shared that their bands are tighter in the morning, and that sipping on a hot or warm beverage like tea helps loosen their band.

Stress is another factor which can influence how tight your band feels. Some days all my meals are not a problem. But I have also experienced days when I had to be on liquids for an entire day. And even a Protein shake took an hour to get down.

Do your best to limit your episodes of vomiting, as this will possibly cause additional tightness.

Oatmeal has give me a few problems since winter has started. I swear the cold weather makes my band feel tighter, especially in the morning.

I've had the least issues with wetter oatmeal. I've also added some chopped nuts, which I find slows down my eating, as I'm chewing more to ensure the whole mouthful is well masticated before swallowing. A teaspoon also helps to slow down the meal.

Thanks everybody! I have found that my band is different each day. Some days I have no issues and other days it feels like it doesn't want me to eat at all. My personal trainer really wants me to eat breakfast, but early meals are really tough on me. I'll try the whole hot drink in the am first. I've noticed when I have a cup of hot coffee in the morning I'm usually hungry afterwards so that might help me. Thank you again! Good luck to everyone on their journey.

I have to try to grab something quick and today was my first day with oatmeal and all was good until my first bite of my small lunch at noon which was just roast. I got STUCK!!! For 30 mins!

Love oatmeal but will continue to tread with caution. That was at 6 am I haven't been able to get anything down since

Hi guys tgis is my first day on thos chat...there is a lot of good info here I got mines almost a yr ago july 29 will make the yr I have lost75 lbs...its worried with the band sometimes u can eat very easly n sometimes it jus wont go down...

I used to eat regular instant oatmeal... now I only eat Steel Cut Oat. I cook a big pot of them. I portion them out into muffin tins. Once they freeze I pop out the frozen "pucks" and put them into baggies. They are a perfect "band-size" portion. I add a dash of vanilla and nutmeg and sometimes raisins. I and the "extras" when I microwave the "puck" because I find the flavour is better.

Since I discovered Steel Cut Oats 4 years ago I have not eaten regular oatmeal. I really LOVE them. Some mornings I add a tablespoon or 2 of greek yogurt and fresh fruit... VERY yummy and keeps me full.

FYI... for those of you that know me I cook on the weekend for the week and plan my meals for the week (dinners). I use muffin tins a lot when I cook. I have "muffin top tins" which are great. They make perfect band-size portions. Shepherds Pie, meat Loaf, Mac 'N cheese and many other recipes. I been using muffin tins since I started solid food. I've got several people in my coffee groups also using muffin tins ! - I just made Mini Muffin Phili cheese Steak Bites for a party I went to and EVERYONE raved about them... I used mini muffin tins.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Hi all i am 2yrs out and things get stuck and i have been introduced to papaya enzyme tablets you can find at Walmart or anywhere they help a lot