Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your opinion??

I have heard sooo many differing opinions on how often you should exercise. My current exercise consists of walking. Granted I walk as fast as I can for at least 35-45 minutes and I pour sweat, I am just walking.

Do we really need a day of total rest? I can't see how walking for 45 minutes can be bad for me on that 7th day.

What's your opinion?

What I've read lately is that you get a "bigger band for your buck" if you do 30 min. of intervals than an hour at one intensity level. In Chris Powell's carb cycling book he says to do this 6 min. cycle 5 times for a total of 30 min.: 3 min. of low intensity, 2 min. of medium intensity, and 1 min. of high intensity. He also says to take Sunday off. It really makes the 30 min. go by fast. Experts say you need to change things up when your body gets used to a certain type of exercise. If you think that's what is happening, it might be good to try intervals and see if that changes the amount of weight you're losing. BTW, congrats on all of your exercising. You rock!

I definitely haven't hit a plateau. The walking is definitely increasing the progress and I feel GREAT!! I don't want to take a day off from walking. I love it and totally look forward to going! I actually read Chris's book and I am doing the carb cycling but I am not doing his work out regimen right now. I tried it for a day and my back was killing me from laying on the floor doing the crunches and my knee was killing me from squats. I like the intensity variations he talks about and was planning to start the couch 2 5k plan but quickly found that my knee ( I had surgery on my right knee) was not up for the task. I am hoping that as more weight comes off I am able to run. But for now walking is working like a charm. I am walking at about 4.5 miles per hour maybe faster. I have been using endomondo to track but I dont think the GPS works properly indoors on the track I use. I need to find a better tracking system... I lose count going around the track. LOL Thanks for the kind words...I am super excited with my progress and am getting close to "Onederland"! I can't wait! You are doing great too! Excited to see how the summer treats you!!

Walking can never hurt!

I say walk everyday if you want, I don't think it will hurt you!

My opinion is, it depends on the type of exercise you're doing. It's always good to switch between cardio and weight training to give your muscles time to rest. However, walking is always good and doesn't require breaks.

I usually walk 2 miles a day and honestly, I feel worse if I skip a day.

Walking is easy on the joints, and it will burn calories. I lost 70 pounds one summer by walking for one or two hours a day. When winter came, the weight started coming back on... hence, the lap-band, and a gym membership.

I can't stand missing a day of walking! My husband believes your body needs a day of rest. I don't thinks so...it's had YEARS of rest! It's not like I'm body building or doing intense exercise ... I just want to be active. Everyday! So I went for a walk ... In my flip flops so I could tell him it didn't count as exercise! Lol just did a mile and half in the neighborhood. (25 minute stroll) It was beautiful out and I feel great for doing it!

IMO rest is a macro requirement, however, unless you're extremely physically exhausted and having significant muscle discomfort from the activity then I wouldn't take a rest day from walking alone. When you build enough endurance and engage in more strenuous activities that are pushing muscles to the point of failure then absolutely you want to incorporate rest days to allow for sufficient recovery.

Brad

No. Walking is good for health. Walk long as you can. Take fruit and juices it will fulfill your body requirements. No need to take a long rest.

IMHO stay away from fruit juices. They have too many concentrated sugars and are counter productive to fat loss potential. Fruit is good but if you are trying to lose fat eat it in its' whole form.

30 to 40 minutes daily walking is enough to keep the weight within a healthy limit.

Do you feel tiredness after doing 45 minutes daily walking? If you feel tiredness then you should cut down this walking time to 30 minutes.