Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You tube videos have me worried

I am considering a lap band and have been doing a lot of research. Have been watching you tube videos and a lot of people have gained back the weight. Is this common and is it due to not getting fills when needed or what?

The Lap Band is not a miracle fixer. You didnt get where you are over night.

Yes I have heard that you can gain your weight back, but that's what fills are for, watching your calorie intake, making sure you exercise, and sticking to your guns and not over indulging in the things that got you to this weight to begin with.

The band is a tool.. its not going to work unless you use it right.

:D

the band is to help you get along with smaller amounts of food and not get straving durning this time you are learning how we should have been eating all these years and how to eat for the rest of our lives you eat like you have on any diet only this time you don't get straving after you have eating and so you can to this meal plan forever. You go back to eating the way you are now and of course you will gain...you have to give up being in love with food and just use it to servive on like it was meant to until all the busness wanted to make money on our unhealthy eating.

the band is to help you get along with smaller amounts of food and not get straving durning this time you are learning how we should have been eating all these years and how to eat for the rest of our lives you eat like you have on any diet only this time you don't get straving after you have eating and so you can to this meal plan forever. You go back to eating the way you are now and of course you will gain...you have to give up being in love with food and just use it to servive on like it was meant to until all the busness wanted to make money on our unhealthy eating.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm wondering how a person goes back to eating the way they did if the band restricts how much you can eat. Wouldn't you vomit? Is it that when you start to lose the band gets looser and needs to be filled so that you can't eat the way you did before the band? I'm wondering what the average time frame between fills is. I just have so many questions. I know everyone is different. I'm just trying to understand how the weight comes back on after being initially successful. This is a great site to get answers, and others experiences, I'm so glad I found it.

Ideally, the band gives you a sensation of feeling full -- satiated... after eating a small portion of food. If you are eating until you vomit, something isn't right. The band is too tight, or one is force feeding themselves.

Also, there are "slider" foods that will pass right through the band, and so quickly that the brain doesn't receive the desired "I'm full" message that a properly adjusted band will supply. Ice cream, potato chips and dip, some fried foods, with go through the band like poop through a goose.

If you keep forcing food down, eventually you will stretch the small pouch above your band which contains all the nerve endings to tell your brain you're full. These nerves will become damaged, the band could become dislodged and if you have the band removed you may NEVER be able to tell if your full with your normal stomach so mass appetite will ensue.

they gained back their weight by eating more calories than they burned off.....why anyone with a weight problem has done that exact thing...doesnt mean everyone does however..you CAN eat better food, exercise, and let the band HELP control your food portions and just about everyone can lose weight...its a matter of wanting to lose weight bad enough to do actually use it as its intended and leave the excuses at the curb with the trash junk foods.

The band isn't for everyone and I strongly suggest that you really research your options and what surgery would be best for you. I've lost about 20lbs in 2 years!! I'm completely annoyed with myself for picking the band so quickly. I lost 10 the first week and from there on its been a lose/gain battle. I worked the band to a tee for about 7 months.. If lose 3-4 lbs one week and gain it back plus 2 lbs the next. I was mentally and emotionally drained after it and just have up. Got all my fills and had good restriction but the weight just wouldn't come off.. Could not get lower than 320. I'm the kind of person who needs to see the number on the scale dropping.. If it doesn't I lose motivation. I'm trying to get approval for the bypass or sleeve as we speak. Now my neighbor lost 100lbs in 6 months, never has gotten a fill and eats all the fast food she wants... She doesn't exercise but her smaller portions did the trick. I have a serious food addiction so I need that fast weight loss to keel me going! Everyone's different so just do your homework!!!

Stop watching them! I freaked myself out watching those videos, do your research and decide for yourself if its something you want

You should base your decision on actual facts, not anecdotal evidence online. Youtube and forums are filled will band failure stories but very few will admit they have no one to blame for their failure but themselves.

Yes, you most certainly gain all the weight back and some. The band is a tool and unless you're willing to do the work and use it correctly it won't help. The band is meant to control your hunger not physically stop you from eating anything. This is exactly why it's so important that we stick to band sized portions and make healthy food choices. It's also why it's so important to have a good nutritionist to help you establish food guidelines that are fitting for your life.

Here's a really great link to give you a realistic expectation of the band and what you'll need to do to be successful with it: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

You should base your decision on actual facts, not anecdotal evidence online. Youtube and forums are filled will band failure stories but very few will admit they have no one to blame for their failure but themselves.

Yes, you most certainly gain all the weight back and some. The band is a tool and unless you're willing to do the work and use it correctly it won't help. The band is meant to control your hunger not physically stop you from eating anything. This is exactly why it's so important that we stick to band sized portions and make healthy food choices. It's also why it's so important to have a good nutritionist to help you establish food guidelines that are fitting for your life.

Here's a really great link to give you a realistic expectation of the band and what you'll need to do to be successful with it: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Thank you that link was soooo helpful. What a great site, it really explained it so well. It's amazing that you have lost 208 pounds! Obviously your doing it right. Thanks again

Also, there are "slider" foods that will pass right through the band, and so quickly that the brain doesn't receive the desired "I'm full" message that a properly adjusted band will supply. Ice cream, potato chips and dip, some fried foods, with go through the band like poop through a goose.

haha I will never be able to think of ice cream, potato chips and dip, & fried foods the same again..

I can say since I am only 3 days out from surgery that Jello fills me up.. seriously. It's amazing how you feel satisfied :)

Wanted to mention that you will find horror stories for any WLS surgery!!!! They all have had their share of problems.

I suggest finding the BEST surgeon, and consulting with him or her as to what would work best for you. There are a lot of hack clinics out there promoting WLS, and you want to find someone who puts your health above their profit margins!!!

I am considering a lap band and have been doing a lot of research. Have been watching you tube videos and a lot of people have gained back the weight. Is this common and is it due to not getting fills when needed or what?

I never watch any you tubes. I never investigated the band. My lung doctor signed me and said you are to go this meeting and get the band. I never looked back. I am off all meds except for the required Vitamins and minerals. I don't snore anymore. Blood pressure is great and I took 6 pills a day just to eat. All done with them. That to me is called success no regrets!!

Hello Carolina girl!!

How have you managed to lose so much weight with no fills?? I haven't had the procedure yet I am waiting for response to my evaluation form. I think this would be great to not need fills, but I thought that the band loosened with time?

Thoughts?

they gained back their weight by eating more calories than they burned off.....why anyone with a weight problem has done that exact thing...doesnt mean everyone does however..you CAN eat better food, exercise, and let the band HELP control your food portions and just about everyone can lose weight...its a matter of wanting to lose weight bad enough to do actually use it as its intended and leave the excuses at the curb with the trash junk foods.