Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritionist Rules - What did yours say?

Hello all,

I'm trying to get some nutrition tips because my weight loss has been EXTREMELY slow. I exercise regularly and I usually dont eat more than 1.5 cups of food for lunch and dinner with minimal snacking in between ...

I haven't had a one on one meeting with my office's NUT yet because getting to see her is like getting to see the Pope or something - very busy and you cant even talk to her directly ....

anyway, so rules she mentioned in our group glass (some that im having a hard time following) are:

1. eat 1000 cals a day or under

I found this online just now - I'll give it a try since I current eat 1100-1200 daily

http://www.fammed.usouthal.edu/Guides&JobAids/handouts/Metabolic/1000CalMealPlanningGuide.pdf

2. get at least 60-80g or Protein

3. only have 3 carb servings per day (only with 2 meals)

Have your NUT's given you any concrete rules or guidelines? Does anyone have any meal plan suggestions to share?

When I started my NUT (six visits!) I was tracking my calories already. Her main concern was my Protein intake. I would have instant sugar free oatmeal with blueberries for Breakfast, and she would always comment that I wasn't having Protein intake for that meal. Now I have low fat Greek yogurt and blueberries for my Breakfast. I also started eating a lot of fish and chicken for my lunch and dinner meals, and started eliminating unneeded carbs (breads, pastas, rolls... the stuff that adds useless calories.) I was able to keep my calories under 1000, while keeping the protein at 80 to 90 grams. My NUT, and the APRN who does my fills and follow up visits, both want to see a minimum amount of protein.

My NUT showed me plastic samples of food, and told me to be aware of portion sizes (what a cup of something looks like.) But, I was never told to limit my portions, and my APRN told me not to worry if I was eating more than a cup of food at a meal. I assume if I have future fills that lead to intake restriction, I may have to reduce portions. The NUT said always to eat the protein portions first, and then fill on the veggies or other foods afterwards.

The only guidelines I got were:

1 cup of food or less per meal (eating more could put the band at risk)

5 meals a day (breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner)

50-70 grams of Protein per day

64 oz of Water at the least a day

My doc told me yesterday to make sure I was doing the following:

Bites should be a peanut m&m size and chewed well. No more than 3 bites per min. This eating slowly will trigger your brain it is satisfied quicker and it also prevents you from getting stuck as easy.

Do not drink with meals, as it washed down your food and you will get hungry quicker.

Make sure I am getting the Water in.

Try to avoid heavy laden sodium items.

Eat Protein first, in case you get full that is in you.

Cut back on carb (no out, but down). A carb should be the last thing eaten- then IF you have room eat a bite.

Are you tracking your calories? Are you trying to drink 64 oz of Water a day?

I do track my calories using my fitness pal (user name Sunnyhoney11) and I drink well over 80 oz of water/mixed Water drinks daily.

I dont eat Protein first though, I eat whatever I want first. I'll try that this week.

I do make sure not to drink liquid with my meals.

I don't however make sure that I have Protein at eaxh meal ... I sometimes go without and I guess I can try to work that into my routine also.

Thanks for the great tips!!

Some great things to try to get Protein in and still get yummy things is use Greek Yogurt for a fruit dip. Dip apples in PB. Each a Weight Watchers cheese stick with a few grapes. Fruit is good for you and give you Fiber, adding a little protein in gives you a nice balance. These were ideas my NUT gave me.

I had a Protein shake for breakfast and chicken salad over lettuce for lunch, so hopefully I can keep the trend and have Protein at dinner too. <fingers crossed>

Please follow me on MFP too if you have it!

I was told Protein first, thats what keeps you satisfied.

I also add ff plain greek yogurt to a lot of things, just to boost the Protein. Plain yogurt in chili is really good.

reduced fat Peanut Butter, ff greek yogurt and splenda is a really good low cal snack.< /p>

The small amount of carbs you shoukd be getting, are good carbs,

fruits, veggies and such. Not breads, Pasta and rice.

You say you track, do you measure? Sometimes our eyes play tricks on us.lol

Good luck!

I do track my calories using my fitness pal (user name Sunnyhoney11) and I drink well over 80 oz of water/mixed Water drinks daily.

I dont eat Protein first though, I eat whatever I want first. I'll try that this week.

I do make sure not to drink liquid with my meals.

I don't however make sure that I have Protein at eaxh meal ... I sometimes go without and I guess I can try to work that into my routine also.

Thanks for the great tips!!

I have a Protein shake with 2 scoops every morning for breakfast. I also have Protein Bars with me when I go out just in case I need food. My dietitian told me to buy Cliff Protein Bars, 20g per bar. I enjoy them and just had one for lunch with some green grapes.

I usually have about 100 g of protein a day and around 1000-1200 calories and at least 10- 8 oz of liquid (I drink tea and iced tea).

Good luck and happy losing.

I was told Protein first, thats what keeps you satisfied.

I also add ff plain greek yogurt to a lot of things, just to boost the Protein. Plain yogurt in chili is really good.

reduced fat Peanut Butter, ff greek yogurt and splenda is a really good low cal snack.< /p>

The small amount of carbs you shoukd be getting, are good carbs,

fruits, veggies and such. Not breads, Pasta and rice.

You say you track, do you measure? Sometimes our eyes play tricks on us.lol

Good luck!

I actually do NOT measure. I try to eyeball it based on the foodguidelines, like a fist equals a cup, etc. Sometimes I pack my lunch in a 1 cup or 1.25 cup container so I know the size is right (but that's rare).

Target has food scales (non digital) on sale for $3 in the front of the store in their bargain bins, so maybe I'll pick one up this weekend :)

I have a Protein shake with 2 scoops every morning for Breakfast. I also have Protein Bars with me when I go out just in case I need food. My dietitian told me to buy Cliff Protein bars, 20g per bar. I enjoy them and just had one for lunch with some green grapes.

I usually have about 100 g of protein a day and around 1000-1200 calories and at least 10- 8 oz of liquid (I drink tea and iced tea).

Good luck and happy losing.

how in the world do you get 100 g of protein in, in a day's time? I'm not getting enough and am losing hair and nails so my dr upped my protein by eating Protein Bar not shake but I certainly do not know how you eat that much, please share...I'm only 1 yr out.

Just saw a nutritionist yesterday she said her biggest concern was 60-80 grams of Protein, 64 oz of Fluid in take and 3 meals a day. I haven't been approved yet just gone through the assesments yesterday. She wants me to cut carbs now and watch/learn to count protein in my diet.

how in the world do you get 100 g of Protein in, in a day's time? I'm not getting enough and am losing hair and nails so my dr upped my Protein by eating Protein Bar not shake but I certainly do not know how you eat that much, please share...I'm only 1 yr out.

It isn't hard. Four flounder filets, or 1/2 chicken breasts, along with 80 grams of low fat Greek yogurt at breakfast, will easily get you to between 80 or 90 grams of protein per day, with less than 500 calories.

My guidelines are:

60 or more grams of Protein

Always eat Protein first

3/4 -1 cup of food per meal

Good carbs only - fruit and veggies

No alcohol

In between meals, only if needed - a Protein shake

800-1000 calories

My guidelines are:

60 or more grams of Protein

Always eat Protein first

3/4 -1 cup of food per meal

Good carbs only - fruit and veggies

No alcohol

In between meals, only if needed - a protein shake

800-1000 calories

dang, you said what i do..thanks so i dont have to..

this is what i do...and drink alot