Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have two separate questions. First I had surgery the 28th of May and I have one spot that is extremely sore but it is not the port site it is between the port site and another incision it is on the right side across from my belly button. It does not hurt to touch it, it hurts to move, breath, or laugh. Does it sound like just a muscle or something I should call the Dr. about? It is not red or swollen and there is no discharge.

Second, I am trying not to worry but I have not lost much of anything since the surgery, and being that I'm just on liquids I would have expected to lose something. I know I should be focused on recovery but I was just concerned why I wouldn't loose on just liquids. Is my body just in starvation mode maybe? I was losing when I was eating about 1400 calories a day. It is just weird not to lose on liquids. I'm just drinking my Protein shakes and strained Soups, oatmeal no sugar, sugar-free pudding, sugar-free Popsicle. Is it normal to not lose weight until you get the right fill?

~~~Stephanie

your tissues is holing Water to help recover from the surger so don't worry it will come off .and show on the scale soon just contuine doing what you are doing to heal. The pain does sound like a muscle but you should call the doctor just to be sure and meanwhile keep the heating pad on it

Hi. I would call the doctor. Hope all is well. :)

With any odd feeling check with the doc. It is likely just irritation inside from the line running from your port to your band. In a few weeks it should go away, but it is always best to check with the doc.

You are not very far out from surgery so don't worry about the loss yet. You are healing and retaining Fluid. Make sure you are drinking enough Water, add lemon which is a natural diuretic and they should help. The weight loss will come, just give you body time to heal, this was a major surgery.

I didn't feel anywhere near normal for at least two weeks post-op. You naturally have Fluid retention after major surgery. I just had gall bladder removal, didn't eat for 4 days and gained 9 pounds! It took nearly a week to get rid of all that fluid weight. Be patient and stick to the plan. You're doing great.

I have two separate questions. First I had surgery the 28th of May and I have one spot that is extremely sore but it is not the port site it is between the port site and another incision it is on the right side across from my belly button. It does not hurt to touch it, it hurts to move, breath, or laugh. Does it sound like just a muscle or something I should call the Dr. about? It is not red or swollen and there is no discharge.

Second, I am trying not to worry but I have not lost much of anything since the surgery, and being that I'm just on liquids I would have expected to lose something. I know I should be focused on recovery but I was just concerned why I wouldn't loose on just liquids. Is my body just in starvation mode maybe? I was losing when I was eating about 1400 calories a day. It is just weird not to lose on liquids. I'm just drinking my Protein shakes and strained Soups, oatmeal no sugar, sugar-free pudding, sugar-free Popsicle. Is it normal to not lose weight until you get the right fill?

~~~Stephanie

i have no fills and am losing....so dont over expect

to gain, you must eat more calories than you burn off..

are you doing that?? course not...allow yourself time to heal inside

you are healing...and losing whether the scales says it or not...are your clothes looser? do you feel better? are you more mobile??? those are signs that you are doing well...losing inches means you are losing weight...

wish more people believed that

My belly hurt when I laughed for about 3 weeks after surgery. There is a lot of swelling from the manipulation and surgery itself. So the soreness should get better with time. I remember how much it bothered me to lay on my side without a pillow under my side to help support things. A little bit of pulling on the muscle and sutures made it tender.

Don't worry about the scale numbers, which is so hard to do. My first week I felt the same way, I gained 3 pounds according to the scale. Most of it is Fluid retention. Surgery puts a lot of stress on your body. As you heal and your diet and exercise progress, you will start to see the numbers change. I've lost 5 pounds since day of surgery a month ago, but like carolinagirl said, my clothes are much looser than they had been, so I am still losing something.

I know all this, but it is still hard to swallow when you step on the scale, which is why I only do it once a week. You'll get there, we all will!