Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have dizzy spells?

I would go with dehydration.

Exactly Mis! Exactly the same symptoms....And I "gained" 2 lbs ( an extra quart of Water :) ) riding today....Dehydration??? IDK

Exactly Mis! Exactly the same symptoms....And I "gained" 2 lbs ( an extra quart of Water :) ) riding today....Dehydration??? IDK

Yeah I really don't think it's dehydration. I am in the bathroom constantly because I drink so much Water. I mean, not to be graphic, but when I pee it looks like just water because it's so diluted from me drinking so much fluids.

My doctors all seem to think it's no big deal, but it makes me a little nervous.

Me too! And I'm not on any meds' date=' haven't been in years now. My doc swears its just dehydration. It happened bad last year.. to the point of passing out/concussion/big ole knot on my head..(totally my fault, as I wasn't drinking enough then)

I'm not so sure its STILL dehydration though? I weigh myself before and after riding most times...just to make sure I'm not "losing" too much fluids. And it still happens when I KNOW I'm drinking enough. About a month ago it was pretty bad. BP was 82/55 Called the office and he said, "dehydrated! no biking for a week....yea, right. WTFlip?

Happened again today...after a 50 miler, when I GAINED "weight" during it....I don't know what to think.

Creekwood..is your's the same after reducing bp meds?[/quote']

Now that I am off of my BP meds my BP averages rough 115/125 over 70/85. Never too low never too high. I average 10-14 cups of Water a day. But, my lightheaded/dizzy spells have completely stopped since being off of BP meds

I've been getting dizzy spells since Saturday, of course ones mind runs crazy what did I do, what did I eat, I appreciate everyones feed back My dizzy spells hit out of the blue, and I've been drinking Water like a camel too.Temperature was 110 this weekend! I've been eating pretty much what I always eat,and the last time I got dizzy spells was when I lost weight too fast, (doesn't feel like it right now!) My regular md said its not always good when your pee comes out clear, but what are you gonna do to cool off? It gets worse at night , when I lay down to sleep, I end up on the couch sitting up. With everyone's input I think I will go ahead and check in with MD to have PB, checked, MD already took me off of one bp med , maybe its time to get off the last one.

I was banded on may 16 and got crazy dizzy....my cousin is a doc and he said to drink gatorade, for the electrolytes

I was banded on may 16 and got crazy dizzy....my cousin is a doc and he said to drink gatorade, for the electrolytes

I'm thinking there is something to this...drinking gatorade/electrolytes, etc. I had a long exercise yesterday...about 6 hours of riding. Purposely, I drank a lot of G2, which I normally don't. Usually its just Water for me. I felt NO dizziness...none!

Yeah I really don't think it's dehydration. I am in the bathroom constantly because I drink so much Water. I mean, not to be graphic, but when I pee it looks like just Water because it's so diluted from me drinking so much fluids.

My doctors all seem to think it's no big deal, but it makes me a little nervous.

Missy...sounds like you and Catfish have orthostatic hypotension. Early in my career, I managed hypertensive meds clinical trials for a major pharma company. Orthostatic hypotension was a very common adverse event alot of our subjects experienced. I'm no doctor so I've no idea how it's treated..I just know your symptoms sound very familiar..

Missy...sounds like you and Catfish have orthostatic hypotension. Early in my career, I managed hypertensive meds clinical trials for a major pharma company. Orthostatic hypotension was a very common adverse event alot of our subjects experienced. I'm no doctor so I've no idea how it's treated..I just know your symptoms sound very familiar..

I just Googled that and it does very much sound like it. But, I don't fit into any of the risk factors for it. But that is exactly what mine does- my systolic drops about 10 and my dystolic drops A LOT when I go from sitting to standing.

When I was in the hospital recently, I actually passed out cold the first time I tried to walk after 5 days of being immobilized in the bed (scared the crap out of a nurse and hurt my knee, too). Granted my hemoglobin was also low but I suspect my blood pressure bottoming out played a part in it too.

I just Googled that and it does very much sound like it. But, I don't fit into any of the risk factors for it. But that is exactly what mine does- my systolic drops about 10 and my dystolic drops A LOT when I go from sitting to standing.

When I was in the hospital recently, I actually passed out cold the first time I tried to walk after 5 days of being immobilized in the bed (scared the crap out of a nurse and hurt my knee, too). Granted my hemoglobin was also low but I suspect my blood pressure bottoming out played a part in it too.

you should ask your doctor about it...see what he/she says.

Dizzy spells can be caused by many things, not just low BP. What was your heart rate? has anyone checked your carotid arteries lately? Do you have an arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm)? Ear infection? Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (ear rocks)? What medications are you on? Sinus infection? I can go on and on. A simple physical exam and CBC might be all you need to figure out what is going on. You need to go and see either your PCP or your lap band surgeon.

Missy it sounds like you have postural hypotension. Your body is having difficulty adjusting your BP when you go from laying to sitting to standing. If you are laying down, make sure to sit for 2-3 minutes before standing up.

Catfish: you are right on the money about the gatorade. If you are riding for 6 hours at a time your body loses a lot of salt/electrolytes and Water in sweat. The body likes balance. If you don't replace the electrolytes your body won't hold onto the Water as well. Even if you are drinking enough water you can become dehydrated. If you replace the electrolytes your body will hold onto more water, your BP will not drop and you won't feel dizzy.

Everyone should go see their primary care provider for symptoms like dizziness. A fall can easily happen and cause a lot of damage.

Dizzy spells can be caused by many things' date=' not just low BP. What was your heart rate? has anyone checked your carotid arteries lately? Do you have an arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm)? Ear infection? Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (ear rocks)? What medications are you on? Sinus infection? I can go on and on. A simple physical exam and CBC might be all you need to figure out what is going on. You need to go and see either your PCP or your lap band surgeon.

Missy it sounds like you have postural hypotension. Your body is having difficulty adjusting your BP when you go from laying to sitting to standing. If you are laying down, make sure to sit for 2-3 minutes before standing up.

Catfish: you are right on the money about the gatorade. If you are riding for 6 hours at a time your body loses a lot of salt/electrolytes and Water in sweat. The body likes balance. If you don't replace the electrolytes your body won't hold onto the Water as well. Even if you are drinking enough water you can become dehydrated. If you replace the electrolytes your body will hold onto more water, your BP will not drop and you won't feel dizzy.

Everyone should go see their primary care provider for symptoms like dizziness. A fall can easily happen and cause a lot of damage.[/quote']

I actually have had a ton of tests, including EKG and every blood panel possible. All are normally good and my heart rate is about 70 when resting.

This is why my doctors say it's no big deal, because they can't find a medical reason for it. ((Shrugs))

Not sure what my issue is yet, but I see my PCP tomorrow, so we'll discuss it. I just got banded 2 weeks ago, and I just started to eat soft solids. I've only had twice what I would call a vasovagal response, or maybe even near syncope. Both times, it happened when I swallowed too much food at once. As it passed into the upper pouch, I got dizzy and was semi-conscious for a few seocnds, meaning I didn't completely pass out, but couldn't recall anything during the "event" either. I checked my pressure immediately after the second one, and it was 122/70. So, it may have just stimulated the vagus nerve, causing my heartrate to drop, then recovered. There's no way to truly know without my HR being monitored during the event. It's likely that I'm almost ready to stop my BP medicine, which will be very nice. I'll find out more tomorrow, hopefully.