Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Juneteenth Week Surgeries (June 19)

I'd like to know how many people are being banded the same week as I am - June 19th?

Not sure how many of your know the significance of this day, but I find it ironic that it will be the beginning of my personal liberation. Some say it's not a good day, considering the history - I don't see it that way. Although freedom came 2.5 years late for slaves on the gulf coast of Texas, it came and should be commemorated. Just as I have waited my entire life to be free from extra weight, it will be a day that I commemorate for as long as my band does what it should do for me.

If you've never heard of Juneteenth, it was a pivotal time in our nation's history, even moreso for African Americans. In Galveston, Texas (where it actually occurred) it is commemorated by the original declaration of freedom being read on the same mansion steps it was heard from by thousands of Galveston, Texas slaves in 1865. (The mansion is so amazing, it's hard to imagine it being a plantation, it looks like a castle). There are theories about why it took 2 1/2 years for them to be freed - the most common belief is that the information was deliberately withheld - and why they had to ride through the entire state before making the announcement makes it even more logical since they passed millions on their way across nearly 800 miles. While it angers some, it is a part of history that should not be forgotten.

Thanks girls and boys, I hope you enjoyed your history lesson for today! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches