Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to work/school after surgery?

This may be a post-op question but since I'm pre-op and the answer to this question is a deciding factor in my surgery date I decided to post it here! I just got approved last week and am very excited to get my band, but am worried about how soon I will be able to go back to school. I am in college 3 hours away from my parents house (and where my dr's office and hospital are) and have classes all summer long that I can't really miss. Since I only have one class on Fridays and none on Thursdays, I was hoping to schedule my surgery for a Thursday and then go back to my school on Sunday evening and classes on Monday. Is this realistic? Mondays and wednesdays I have class from 8-5 with a 1 hour break at 12, so I was wondering if that might be uncomfortable? I will definitely ask my doctor all of this when I go for a pre-op appointment but I didn't want to get my hopes up if my expectations are unrealistic. If I can't do that I will have to wait until August when I have a 1 week break before fall semester. I really wanted to have my surgery in early June so have the summer to adjust but I definitely don't want to be in pain all day in class, either. Sorry for the novel!!

i was in moderate pain for the first 3-4 days but could have went back to my job as a cook, on 5th day if I would have had to. I was thankful I didn't have to though.

I got six days off from work. But I could have went back on the 4th. The first 3 days (for me) were not painful, but uncomfortable. I didn't get any gas pains, so I was lucky on that part. Took pain Meds for one day (found out I was allergic to codeine that day lol) good thing I didn't need pain Meds much :) every one has a different experience tho. The pain, for me, was very tolerable..I really hope you have a speedy recovery with not much pain. But like I said, everyone is different. You might want to ask for maybe Monday and Tuesday off just to be on the safe side..a couple of classes is better than a whole week if you really can't miss..

Can you get up and stretch frequently during class? Can you recline a little in your chair? Will somebody drive you back to school? For me, sitting upright was painful for a few days and uncomfortable for weeks due to port placement. I didn't drive for about a week so I could recline in the passenger seat. Can you talk to your teachers about it and see if you could use a doctors note to excuse you from attending a full day for the first week back? You will need to move a lot in the beginning due to risk of emboli.

I think it's possible to return so soon, but you'll wish you took more time for recovery.

I took off summer 1 for my lap-band being that I have no idea what to expect. It seems that most people can go back to work in a week,and be just fine. For me it was not that part of recovery I was worried about. It was getting use to the different way of eating. Making sure I knew how my body and I was going to react to the band, and I did not know if my school schedule would work with my eating schedule while I was getting adjusted. Being that I have to learn how to eat and what I can eat I thought it best, since I was able to take off at least summer 1, and go back summer 2 once I got use to what I was going to be doing. Because I figure I needed to schedule my classes around when I needed to eat so I have enough time and don't have to rush. Things like that,and things I don't know yet. Good luck with your decision and your new journey.

I took off summer 1 for my lap-band being that I have no idea what to expect. It seems that most people can go back to work in a week' date='and be just fine. For me it was not that part of recovery I was worried about. It was getting use to the different way of eating. Making sure I knew how my body and I was going to react to the band, and I did not know if my school schedule would work with my eating schedule while I was getting adjusted. Being that I have to learn how to eat and what I can eat I thought it best, since I was able to take off at least summer 1, and go back summer 2 once I got use to what I was going to be doing. Because I figure I needed to schedule my classes around when I needed to eat so I have enough time and don't have to rush. Things like that,and things I don't know yet. Good luck with your decision and your new journey.[/quote']

I agree! I went back to work on day 4 but I have a kitchen at work ad home is only 7 min away. I could rest when needed, walk around when needed and I didn't have to lug around a bunch of food/liquids etc.